Bad School Question

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Bad School Question
By Urbansocrates (Urbansocrates) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 10:10 pm: Edit

I go to a really bad school in Jersey. The average SAT score is like a 700. There is also massive grade inflation. People who have A's in advance math classes usually fail the math section of the HSPA (NJ's easy high school proficently exam). We have like a 80 percent failing percentage for the HSPA.

My problem is that I have like the highest SAT score in the school (700 verbal, 470 math) but I have like a 3.0. Part of my problem was that I didn't have glasses my freshman andd sophomore years in HS. In addition the school was just not interesting. I have a passion for history and just took a US History SAT II exam in 15 minutes and got a 780. I also have excellent ecs (Princeton Model Congress Cabinet Member, Accepted to NJ Gov School and lots more with a political theme.) In addition I have a excellent essay.

How bad will colleges (Top 50 and LACS) look at my GPA? Will every thing else make up for it?

By Urbansocrates (Urbansocrates) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 12:04 am: Edit

bump

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 12:40 am: Edit

If you relate to them your circumstances about not having glasses, being in your situation in HS, they will probably understand if you show significant improvement. They are just waiting for your kind of diversity: underpriveleged, rough HS, you can grow out of it and they'll love it. If you show huge promise at least some will give you a fresh start if you show improvement.

By Urbansocrates (Urbansocrates) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 01:43 am: Edit

bump

By Urbansocrates (Urbansocrates) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 03:44 am: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page