How important are AP's?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: How important are AP's?
By Zman (Zman) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 08:20 pm: Edit

how important are AP's in the admissions process?

is it better to have quantitiy or quality?

How significant is an AP scholar with
distinction award as a sophomore and a national ap scholar as Junior?

By Pedro7487 (Pedro7487) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 11:07 pm: Edit

I don't even think colleges see your AP scores until after you're admitted.

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 11:31 pm: Edit

On Harvard's, for example, they don't require a Collegeboard official report unless you enroll (so that you can get credit if you want).

By Tongos (Tongos) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:03 pm: Edit

Yes! I got a one in psychology, they won't even look at it! ha!

By Jimt (Jimt) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 11:12 am: Edit

Colleges won't see your senior AP scores until after admissions are over, but they'll see scores from your first three years, if you submit them.

By Intheory (Intheory) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:45 am: Edit

i know for sure they often see people's junior year AP scores- if you take alot of AP classes, they are going to generally expect to see the score...but it varies w/ the college

it's better to have quantity *and* quality...though i think a few 5's would be way better than a mess of 2's and 3's

everything is important- even the senior year AP classes you take- even though they won't see your scores, they care that you challenge yourself senior year, and bombing your AP tests senior year could risk you having your admission recended (not likely, but it could happen)

By Smartgirl (Smartgirl) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 07:18 am: Edit

I did not take any AP course in my sophomore year; however, I am taking ONE AP course this year(junior)...how will this affect my chance, even though I have reasons?

By Slipstream99 (Slipstream99) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 09:54 am: Edit

Smartgirl, it all depends on how many AP courses your school offers. If it only offers 5 and you take 1 junior year and 2 or 3 senior year it will look okay. You're making the most of your school's curriculum.

On the other hand, if you school offers 15 and you end up taking 5 total, that will be a drawback on your application because you didn't take the most challenging courses.

And what are your reasons? If it is something very serious that would have prevented you from doing well in the class (like a sick parent you had to take care of or something like that) you should explain that to admissions when you apply. However, if it was something like "I wanted to spend more time hanging out with my friends" OR "cheerleading was really demanding and i couldn't manage any more APs", that will hurt you.

By Piman3141 (Piman3141) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 02:07 pm: Edit

*rescinded* lol

By Smartgirl (Smartgirl) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 04:23 pm: Edit

Of course, there are no AP courses in my school offered to freshmen. When I registered for 10th grade courses, I wanted to take AP European History, but my 9th grade social teacher said it was cancelled (he was confused with AP western civilization, which was offered to juniors or seniors), so I was forced to take World History. Finally, I am making a transition to a new school (in a new state), and my counselor was worried that because I am taking a heavy load of hard courses and an extra class out of school (leadership), I might not handle 2 AP courses (AP USH and AP BIO are offered to juniors)...so I chose AP UNITED STATES HISTORY. I am planning to take AP BIOLOGY online next summer, and take the AP test in my senior year. Are these good reasons why I am not taking several AP courses?

By Smartgirl (Smartgirl) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:50 pm: Edit

bump

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:33 pm: Edit

Colleges don't see your official AP scores until after you're admitted, but most if not all apps have a little place for you to *selectively* list some of your good scores. I wouldn't put anything lower than 3 on any app though. I think I really regretted putting the one 3 I did get on there.

By Skiowad (Skiowad) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:50 pm: Edit

Smart girl, that's perfectly fine. In fact, they will be glad that you took the initiatvie to self-study AP Bio, since it is a full-year course.

By Slipstream99 (Slipstream99) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:49 pm: Edit

^^^I agree with skiowad. I don't think you need to explain your situation through an essay or anything though because the admissions officer will be able to see from your transcript that you made a major transition. Good luck with Bio...

By Slipstream99 (Slipstream99) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:49 pm: Edit

^^^I agree with skiowad. I don't think you need to explain your situation through an essay or anything though because the admissions officer will be able to see from your transcript that you made a major transition. Good luck with Bio...

By Namronthedon71 (Namronthedon71) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:13 am: Edit

just my opinion, but shouldn't ap scores carry some weight in the admissions process? i mean, if you got an A in an ap class but got a 1 on the ap exam, wouldn't this suggest that 1) there is some grade inflation going on in that class 2) you are a minimum effort necessary to pull an A as opposed to actually learning type of guy 3) you are a serious brownnoser, and thereby invalidate to some degree the A you got in that class?

By Conker (Conker) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 01:07 pm: Edit

"shouldn't ap scores carry some weight in the admissions process?"

Shouldn't they? Yes.

Do they? Now, that's a different story...

By Anyhelpicanget (Anyhelpicanget) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 01:33 pm: Edit

ok...i did really bad on my 4 ap tests so far:

European History: 3
English Language & Composition: 3
Chemistry: 2
U.S. History: 4

Can I just tell my counselor to remove the first 3 ap test scores from the transcript? I'm guessing I'm going to leave the 4. Would I actually have to pay any sort of money or anything like that in order to do that?

By 80drofnats (80drofnats) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 02:56 pm: Edit

Yes, you can white out your bad scores, but taking an AP class and not having a score on the exam for them to see will cause some slight suspicion.

By Anyhelpicanget (Anyhelpicanget) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 04:10 pm: Edit

What do you suggest I do with those scores? Should I white them out or should I keep them?

By 80drofnats (80drofnats) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 06:13 pm: Edit

I'd need to see them in the context of the whole application/college, if you give a very condensed form of your application i could help you. Strength of schedule matters in it too.

By Sybbie719 (Sybbie719) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 07:40 pm: Edit

First I think you need to look at the schools policy as to why your ap scores are on your H.S. transcript with out your permission to have your scores released.

You should look at your H.S. profile which goes to the colleges so that you can read their take on AP. Some of the selective colleges will not even give you credit unless you get a 5. Williams believes that H.S. Ap courses do not cover the depth and breath that a college course does because some schools simply teach to the test.

Your scores would have to be validated by the college boeard (which I believe are the only source of scores they look at. With the college board you can choose which sores you would like to have releassed and pay for releasign those scores.

By Anyhelpicanget (Anyhelpicanget) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 12:37 pm: Edit

"I'd need to see them in the context of the whole application/college, if you give a very condensed form of your application i could help you. Strength of schedule matters in it too. "

i'm not sure if this helps but my stats are on the "what are my chances" message board. They are under the heading "northwestern/u of i engineering"..thanks.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page