Three year HS graduate, top schools possible?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Three year HS graduate, top schools possible?
By Icono (Icono) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 07:42 pm: Edit

Hello,

Would yall please let me know my chances for getting into:
1) Penn (both parents went there for grad school)
2) Princeton (i have a sibling there)
3) Columbia
4) Yale
5) Harvard
6) Stanford (father went there undergrad)
7) USC, UT-Austin, U. Mich-Ann Arbor (safeties)

Academics:
GPA: 4.65 out of 5
SAT: 1390 (700Verbal, 690Math, will retake)
SAT II: Math IC: 710, Writing: 710, Spanish: 630
AP's: Calculus-5, Eng Lit/comp-4, Eng Lang/comp-4, Spanish-3, World History-3
Texas Scholar
Named: Top Pre-Calculus Student (2003)
Top English I Student (2003)
Top Spanish II Student (2003)

Sports:
Wrestling: captain of varsity wrestling team, two years. placed top 8 in state for folkstyle, 3rd in freestyle and 1st in greco-roman. starter at the national duals. member of the all state team. competed at nationals.
Cycling: ridden over 8000 miles, including 5 fundraising rides from houston to austin texas, a ride in rocky mountain national park, and through yellowstone and grand teton national parks
Cross Country: captain of varisty team, two years
Tae Kwon Do: i have a black belt

Clubs:
Freshman Representative for school Steering Commitee - brainstormed and organized school field trips
Buddy Coordinater for Best Buddies - matched HS students with mentally disabled children to create friendships. befriended handicapped child.
Member of President's Roundtable - chosen personally by the administration to be a liaison between the students of the school and the principal
Member National Spanish Honor Society
Member of Junior Achievement
Member of Business Professionals of America

Volunteer:
Leader of Youth Services at my church
Lead Acolyte for Sunday Evening services - served the altar and prosessed with the clergy
Program for Increasing Socioeconomic Interaction (PISI) - Interactive program involving awareness of others’ economic struggles

NOTE: This info is only after my sophmore year in highschool, as i am graduating in three years and will begin my junior/senior year in a few weeks. I had two credits before HS, and took ten classes my freshman year and 9 my sophmore year. I will be in the National Honor Society, as well as many other clubs which only admit juniors and seniors. I was 8 points away from being a National Merit Scholar when i took the test for the first time, and i will hopefully be one when i take the test that counts. Also, my highschool is, errrr... "urban" (ghetto), with a 98% of the kids "at risk", 2% caucasians, and about a 5% dropout rate. I will be taking Calculus II as well as a few other classes at the community college while still in highschool, for dual credit.

I have a few questions:
1) Does being in Texas make a difference in any way?
2) Do colleges understand the time requirements for varsity sports, during season and offseason? (aka, do they understand why i dont have very many clubs or volunteer activities)
3) Does graduating in three years hurt me or help me? It's not that im a nerd who gets picked on and wants to leave highschools asap, it's that im more "mature" like and realize that the world is a bigger place than Houston, Texas. i want to get out and carpe diem, and not waste any time that i have.
4) Am i just dreaming when i say i think i have a chance of getting into one of the top universities? If so, could you recommend where i might apply? I want to study either business or economics.

Thanks.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 07:58 pm: Edit

You certainly are not dreaming in considering the top universities. But to get a more realistic idea of what the admissions scene there is, take a peek at "What It Really Takes to Get into an Ivy League School" by Chuck Hughes. You can compare your stats with what the top schools consider as top candidates.

Your school could be a disadvantage in applying and you have not "risen above it" with your SAT2 and AP scores. Graduating early is not considered an acolade.

Your athletic record will be reviewed favorably as great ECs during high school but unless you are going to be a "contributing athlete" it will not be a "tag" factor which would put you in a special pool.

You are legacy only at Stanford, I believe, with a direct parent as an undergraduate alum. You may want to check with UPenn what their policy is with graduate school alums. If they do consider that legacy status,it would help you enormously as a UPenn Early Decision candidate.

I think with the 10% rule, as long as you keep your grades within that %, UT is a safety. But I do not see USC or UMich with your current numbers as such. But if you are happy with UTexas, it would not be a problem to shoot for the stars on all of your other choices. There was an excellent site somewhere that showed top, top Texans all waitlisted and turned down from the same schools you have listed. And we are talking about perfect or close to perfect SAT scores and AP scores and phenomonal ECs. It was quite a sobering testimony to the competitiveness of the ivies & co.

By Icono (Icono) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 04:51 pm: Edit

so no very little chance, eh?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page