Help me make a list

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Help me make a list
By Andrew1218 (Andrew1218) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 07:10 pm: Edit

ok i've got 2 on my list, Notre Dame (Reach), and USC (safety because i have a double legacy, im in). Thing is, i kinda want to get away from home and I live in San Diego so LA isnt far enough for me.
1260 SAT no prep(700 M 560 V)- bought barrons and worked through it, took 2 tests out of 10 reals and got 1380 and 1400..so take that for what its worth.
4.19 GPA W 3.94 UW..class doesnt rank but somewhere in top 5% out of 500.
School is pretty competitive- one of the top HS districts in California
EC's

helped my neighbor (who is a doctor) coordinate a "walkathon" at UCSD medical center that amazingly ended up raising $40 grand.
Varsity Golf for 4 yrs
Lots of community service (250 hrs)
Active in cathloic church-confirmed
Catholic Youth Group Leader
Travel Club-secretary and helped organize our spanish class' trip to spain last summer
Teen Corp Community Service Club- Vice President
Young Republican Leaders- President
non school affiliated baseball

Awards
won numerous local golf tournaments
Excellence in english 11 honors
Excellence in Biology
Spanish Award
couple essay contests

Recs
my counselor is an idiot, so i am counting on 1 bad rec. i personally know the bishop of san diego and he said he would write one for me. And i have 1 each from my calculus and english teacher.

Essay
I wrote it already..It is pretty good i think, if you want to see it, email me.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 07:18 pm: Edit

I really don't like calling USC a safety even as a double legacy and as heavily as USC tags their legacies. Especially with a bad rec from your school (yes, the counsellor represents your school) I am always leery of celebrity recs. Make sure you write him a letter, reminding him of all of the things you want in your rec and include a profile to make it easy for him. You do not want any of your recommenders to get writer's block when they write your rec.

Take a look at Villa Nova, Boston College, the Loyolas, Fordham, along with Notre Dame. Providence College is also a neat school as is Fairfield College.

By Andrew1218 (Andrew1218) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 07:29 pm: Edit

how high of a score on my October SATs do you think it would take to make it a good idea to apply EA to Notre Dame?

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 07:36 pm: Edit

ND has a big spiel on EA on their site. Take a good read on it. I don't buy all of it, but it gives you some ideal. Can also apply to a number of the schools I suggested as back up EAs.

By Andrew1218 (Andrew1218) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit

ok thanks very much jamimom. if anyone else has any schools that think would be good for me post away.

By Neelesh (Neelesh) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 09:00 pm: Edit

what kind of school do you want to go to?

By Andrew1218 (Andrew1218) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 09:09 pm: Edit

medium sized, near a major city (like within an hour), good engineering and business program (I am deciding between those 2 majors)

By Andrew1218 (Andrew1218) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 05:03 pm: Edit

do i have a chance at northwestern?

By Rutger818 (Rutger818) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 05:46 pm: Edit

Northwestern places great emphasis on high SAT scores and the number of AP courses you have taken. What is your schedule like for senior year?

By Andrew1218 (Andrew1218) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 06:37 pm: Edit

Last year i took AP US and AP Gov (our school doesnt offer AP English Language but i took the test and got a 5)
This year i will take AP English Lit, AP Calculus AB/BC (we're on quarter system so can finish both in same year), and AP Econ

By Augi7 (Augi7) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:15 am: Edit

andrew carnegie mellon university IS AWESOME for both of those possible majors... #10 or 9 for engineering. for business...i met some of the people that got into the business skool and they said that cmu ranks really really high. AND CMU's business skool just got a 15 million dollar donation. apply to cmu. it is right inside pittsburgh but its a wonderful campus with a great big park behind it. pop of cmu is around 5000 but if you want more ppl U pitt is right next door.

i saw my counselor rec and it sucked my teachers' one were much better. so as long as they compensate for your counselor it should not harm you that much (i say that much b/c anything negative hurts you). Make SURE you get an interview.

applying will greatly increase your chances at these skools (some are super reaches but my friend got into MIT it was her super reach):
Harvard, U mich: AA, Rice, Duke, Cornell( but has no big city), U penn, northwestern

By Wildswan (Wildswan) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 01:32 am: Edit

Look at Santa Clara U. - good engineering program, located in San Jose
I agree with Augi7 about Carnegie Mellon
Villanova is good too

By Andrew1218 (Andrew1218) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 02:35 am: Edit

thanks so much! i feel so overwhelmed and its not even September yet! just got to get those darn SATs up

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page