Out of State Virginia, William and Mary and others

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Out of State Virginia, William and Mary and others
By Thekev (Thekev) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 10:54 pm: Edit

What are my chances at William and Mary, U of Virginia and GWU, and Washington and Lee?

SAT 1350 first time

AP US HISTORY 5
AP Spanish 4
GpA: 3.5 weighted
Classes: Strongest availible except math
From Oklahoma
EC's
-Leadership Role in Congressional Campaign- went from like 5% to winning against the gov's poplular wife and a well-liked tv anchor/lawyer
-Key Club Pres
-Politics Club Co-President
-Successful Part-time debate/speech
-Worked for US Federal Government in DC one summer and drew a salary
-Helped organize a conference on Urban renewal for youth
-volunter at school for poor, mostly Hispanic kids
Class Board, StuCo, Food Club, LINK CREW,
NFL Degree of Distinction
Boys State
HOBY delegate nominee(couldn't attend)
at least documentable 120 service hrs.
Many other EC's and leadership stuff
Diagnosed ADD, got no extra time

By Duke3d4 (Duke3d4) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 10:55 pm: Edit

even for instate its a reach. 3.8 UW avg and 1350 SAT avg for instate. Out of state is probably gonna be a 3.9+ UW with hardest coarseload and 1450+

What is your UW?

Also you need 3 SAT II's to even APPLY, and if your out of state, they better all be 700+'s.

By Thekev (Thekev) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 12:39 am: Edit

Mine unwieghted is like a 3.19.

By Frazzled_One (Frazzled_One) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 08:01 am: Edit

If you've been diagnosed with ADD, why not retake the SATs with the needed accommodation? It could make a major difference in your scores. The schools you've named, esp. the VA state schools, really like high numbers.

Will your essay or personal statement address the ADD in some way? It would put the GPA in perspective. The counselor's rec could do the same thing. A friend of mine has a very bright daughter with ADD, which has contributed to a lower GPA than she wants for the selective LACs she's applying to - but her essay will discuss the difficulties of getting through hs with ADD.

Your ECs look very impressive and the schools you've listed will certainly like them, IMO.

By Thekev (Thekev) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 12:58 am: Edit

Which do i have a better shot at UVA or W&M?

By Frazzled_One (Frazzled_One) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 07:32 am: Edit

I've heard for several years that W & M wants to admit more guys to correct the 60/40 (or thereabouts) female-male ratio - that might have an impact. It's a politically aware campus, so your ECs would make you a good fit. Being from OK couldn't hurt at either school! They're very different, however - which do you like more? VA has an impressive variety of publics, most of which aren't as ultra-selective as W & M and UVA.

By Julibean008 (Julibean008) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 05:55 pm: Edit

I got into William and Mary (also, Chapel Hill and Duke) all from out of state, but got rejected from UVa... just thought that info might be helpful. I think you have a great shot at both of them tho!

By Apacolypse (Apacolypse) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 12:11 am: Edit

Despite some apprehensions, I think you still might have a chance at getting into UVA. You do have an impressive list of extracurricular activities, and your scores are decent. My advice to you is to try your best at raising your GPA and SAT scores and to make sure your essays are excellent. Though UVA is a public school, it doesn't have a SAT or GPA cut-off. It also doesn't look soley at one's scores, but your scores do weigh heavily on Admission's decision-making.

Being that I volunteered w/ the Admissions Office back when I was an undergrad, perhaps I can give you some insight.
Every application is read by at least 2 admissions officers. The key is to get them to fight for you, to get to know who you really are. Let me explain. When applications are being evaluated, they are either placed in the accepted pile, rejected pile or the maybe pile. People who are placed in the maybe pile are debated before the entire Admissions team. If you can reveal something about yourself that would make an admissions officer say you belong at UVA, and is willing to fight for you, then you're half-way there. You should definitely show that you are the type of person who commits to something (may it be a course of study or activity), stays for the long haul & excels.

I say this because I have a friend who applied this year and was rejected, and one of the things that the Admissions Office didn't like was that she made a big deal about loving French culture, studying French, and being a foreign exchange student, but she failed to take the highest and hardest French courses in her high school.

Why was this important? Well, keep in mind that these admissions officers don't really know you. So, all they have to go on are what you write, your scores, and your recommendations. You can say anything about yourself to make you look good (like stating you're a leader in your community) or say you're passionate about something (like proclaiming that dancing is your world), but if it's not backed by a committed course of study or a list of related activities, your statements may be deemed questionable.

UVA doesn't only want to know if you'll be able to do well at Virginia. The Admissions Office wants to ensure that it's picking students who will contribute to the academic and extracurricular environment. Since student self-governance is such a big deal at UVA, the University will want to know if you'll be self-motivating enough to do well in all aspects of your collegiate life.

I hope that helps. Also, click to this site to get some great tips for writing your essays. http://www.virginia.edu/undergradadmission/writingtheessay.html

Good luck!

By Apacolypse (Apacolypse) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 12:47 am: Edit

Also, I do know that UVA does accommodate admitted students w/ learning disabilities. http://www.virginia.edu/studenthealth/lnec.html

By Va10s (Va10s) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 02:48 am: Edit

UVA is more of a reach then W&M

W&L and GWU are more of matches and are a much safer bet

By Dogstreet (Dogstreet) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 01:12 pm: Edit

UVa is not more of a reach than W&M. Look at the facts.

hth

By Thekev (Thekev) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 05:20 pm: Edit

Apacoplypse or anyone esle:
If you were to assign a percentage-based likelihood for the odds of my admission to these schools what would it be?

For instance, do I have a 40% chance at admission to UVa/W&M etc., or a 10% or a 70%?

Thank you.

By Apacolypse (Apacolypse) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 04:29 am: Edit

To be honest, I can't give you a percentage. There are people w/ 1600 SAT scores & a 4.0 GPA who are rejected and people w/ a 3.5 GPA and a 1200 who are accepted. It really comes down to what you can offer UVA. Some people with lower scores may be really talented in music. Some people w/ perfect scores can write horrible essays and present mediocre recommendations.

I say just try your best, be yourself, reveal your passions in your essays, and don't stress too much about the application process. In the end despite what people say, it really doesn't matter where you go to school. What matters is what you do w/ your degree and what you did w/ the time you were in college.

Again good luck!

By Lax46 (Lax46) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 05:21 am: Edit

Hey thekev! Whats your racial/ethnic background?

The valedictorian of my high school chose W&L over all the LACs he applied to. W&L is trying very hard to make their campus more diverse. You both being from Oklahoma + possibly being a non-white can definitely help there. Even Asians are "underrepresented" there..

Your ECs are wonderful. Don't be put down by people here. Good luck and all the best! You'll get into wherever you are meant to go.

By Thekev (Thekev) on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 01:06 am: Edit

Lax46 thanks for the words, you're a nice guy.

As far as ethnic background I am "European American" or as I sometimes call it, "white".

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page