Chances at VT and JMU

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Chances at VT and JMU
By Wallingf (Wallingf) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 10:02 pm: Edit

What do you guys think the chances are for my daughter at Va Tech or James Madison? She really wants to go to one of those two schools. Major - Marketing.

Her SATs are somewhat low - 550 Math, 550 Verbal (studying this summer, in hopes of raising).

GPA = 4.49 W, 3.71 UW. (She works very hard for her good grades, SAT scores are low, because it takes her a longer time to do things. When she does the test untimed, she does much better.)

No APs, Honors in Bio, ALG II, and Spanish III & IV.

ECs = 1 Club Sport Year-round, 1 High School Sport, 1 High School Club, Volunteer activites, and part-time work.

I think they may be reach schools, but then I think they may not??? Do you think the lack of APs and few Honors will hurt her a lot?

By Duke3d4 (Duke3d4) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 10:19 pm: Edit

Instate, Match/small reach
Out of state: No.

I only know my own school, Instate at Fairfax County. Its a rough school with 94% as an A and Ap's and stuff only working junior year with .5.

From Oakton, the avg acceptance for Vtech and JMu is a 3.6uw gpa and a 1250.

Out of state, it'll probably be a 3.8 UW and 1350, this is assuming you go to a hard magnet school as well.

I bet your instate though, since both are virginia schools. Raise your SAt's and you got a good chance.

By Wallingf (Wallingf) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 09:53 am: Edit

Actually, no, we're out of state (NH). She just really liked both schools.

I was curious what the in-state/out-of-state numbers were, as schools only tell you their overall average and I know that they are always more stringent on out-of-state.

Oh well - her third choice is West Virginia. I was a lot more impressed with the school (when we visited) than I expected, but I was hoping for one of the other two.

By Dogstreet (Dogstreet) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 10:42 am: Edit

Walingf,

Don't listen to everything you hear on this board. Fairfax county kids have an overly inflated sense of themselves and are bitter because it is slightly harder to gain admission to our instate schools that their parents pay taxes for.

Coming from NH, a state that is not well represented at James Madison or Virginia Tech, you may have a chance.

So she has a 3.7 UW and an 1100 SAT? Thats not so bad. What's with the strength of schedule? Did her school just not offer AP's or did she just choose to avoid them in planning her curriculum.

Being a female and coming from NH, a state that is not well represented at Virginia Tech, could prove a double advantage. If she really likes VT, a school with more males, tell her to apply early for increased odds of admission.

Def. try to get that SAT to the 1200 mark because it could hold her back just a bit. Grades look fine for these schools though however the course difficulty may be questionable when her file is in committee.

By Duke3d4 (Duke3d4) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 11:10 am: Edit

i doubt that's true, since I looked at out of state applicants for jmu/vtech and they are WAY more qualified than fairfax county applicants.

what school you go to?

By Wallingf (Wallingf) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 04:40 pm: Edit

Her school does offer some APs (it is a standard public HS), but she has to put in a LOT of extra hours to get As or Bs in her Honors courses. I know APs look good, but not if she pulled a C or D and/or if it lowered all her other grades. I didn't think the trade-off was worth it, although maybe I was wrong...

I was hoping that being female, from a small state, with a good GPA, a solid, but not stellar, curriculm (4 Eng, 4 Math, 5 Forgn Lang, 4 Sci, blah, blah, blah, all CP or Honors), and acceptable SATs (probably on the low end) - then she would have a reasonable shot. She plans to apply ED to VT and EA to JMU - basically for the reasons you state...hoping they will say "here's a kid who really wants to come here".

The only other thing I thought might help her was that she is a VERY good gymnast. Both schools have clubs. Seeing as gymnastics is not exactly your "run-of-the-mill" sport, I didn't know how much schools looked at this stuff to round out their classes? Any thoughts? She will obviously put down her gymnastics stuff and stress her desire to continue in college - but is this really of any value?

I appreciate the feedback (and any more that anyone has re: these two schools and admittance). I want her to be realistic about her chances, without dashing her hopes. But, other than knowing they aren't safeties - I have no idea. :-)

By Otter05 (Otter05) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 04:15 pm: Edit

I have a few friends who got into Vtech with a 3.7 weighted GPA and an 1190 SAT score. He applied ED though.

Also have a few friends that got into James Madison with a 3.3 GPA (Weighted) and around an 1100 SAT score. No early admissions.

Both are out of state.

Your daughter has a great chance, do not listen to some of the things you hear on things board. Just tell her to keep her grades up.

And the next time your daughter takes the SAT tell her that she her current scores are OK and that she has nothing to worry about. This will relieve alot of added pressure.

If she is really serious about going to these schools, however, I would advise applying early admissions to either VT or JMU. Just in case =)

Good luck

By Cavalier302 (Cavalier302) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit

I of know plenty of people instate who got into VT, JMU, or both with SATs in the 1000-1100 range and GPA's in the low 3's. Out of state is probably slightly harder, but I doubt to the extent that it is at UVA or Berkeley or UNC Chapel Hill for out of staters. I have a friend who recently went on a tour at VT and was told in the info session that "if you have a 1000 on the SAT and and A/B average you will have an excellent shot of getting in". If I were your daughter I'd apply to JMU EA and then VT RD.

By Otter05 (Otter05) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 03:28 pm: Edit

yup, that sounds about right cavalier302

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 03:54 pm: Edit

I think she has a realistic shot at those schools. I have seen kids with close to those numbers with similar curriculums get in from Pennsylvania. I think WVU is an excellent back up and you may also want to check Ohio University as well. State schools are rolling in admissions most of the time so you should have a good idea where she stands in time to restrategize if it does not work out. I think it will though.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page