How is my list?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: How is my list?
By Neelesh (Neelesh) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 02:49 pm: Edit

My SATs are: 1300
SAT II's:700 in Writing, 700 in Math IC, and 650 in Bio

weigted gpa-if i do ED/EA, it will be 3.9, if i do RD, it will be 3.95

asian male, from Idaho

my SAT I scores will change (hopefully),and im takin the ACT also, but what do you think so far
(i'm gonna cut down the list to about 10-15 later)

Safties:

Case Western Reserve University
University of Miami
George Mason University
University of Pugent Sound
University of San Diego
University of Pittsburgh
Penn State

Match:

Emory University
Wake Forest University
Boston University
UCLA
Vanderbilt
University of Virginia

Reach:

WUSTL
Cornell
Rice
Tufts
Berkley
U of Chicago
Weslayan University

i got this off the PR website by putting my stats in, so i dont know how good it is. what do you all think?

thanks a lot.

oh, by the way

i have taken hard classes, but just a question, will this hurt me? if i take 3 AP classes my senior year, but i took AP history and honors english as a junior, but im taking regular govt and english as a senior..will this hurt me or not?

By Pupsingh (Pupsingh) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

u are definetly NOT a match for UCLA. no one really is. but especiall since ur not from Cali, and ur sats are lower than the mean for them, and the gpa's r a lot higher for UCLA ppl.
u should apply to NYU though

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 03:01 pm: Edit

The consensus seems to be that the PR predictions are overly optimistic; I would classify most of the matches as match/reach or reach. U of V seems to be very difficult out of state. It would probably take another 120 points of SAT to make safety/match/reach realistic.

I think that taking regular english as a senior is probably not the best idea. Any particular reason you are doing so?

By Woogiewilly25 (Woogiewilly25) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 03:16 pm: Edit

Wake and UVA are not a match, especially UVA because you're out of state. You'd need to get your SATs up a bit higher, I'd say at least a 1350...

By Rhkid005 (Rhkid005) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 03:19 pm: Edit

Being from Idaho will help you a lot.

By Neelesh (Neelesh) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

im not taking AP lit because im not the best at english, and i dont think i will get an A in the class, or perhaps not even a B. that is the only reason why, and im not taking AP gov beacause i dont really want to, and i took AP history and got a 4 on the test.

i guess PR is overly optimistic. lol. thanks for the help, and if more people can help, please do so.

By Copper45 (Copper45) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 06:13 pm: Edit

Emory, UCLA, and the University of Virginia are not matches for you. They are reaches.

By Neelesh (Neelesh) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 06:51 pm: Edit

is there a better site where i can put my stats in and it will show me realistic safites, matches, and reaches?

By Chrisy (Chrisy) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 08:21 pm: Edit

what's the breakdown of that sat score? what's your intended major and any preference for setting? rural-urban...

By Neelesh (Neelesh) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 07:54 pm: Edit

math is 660, and verbal is 640

By Linedeacon (Linedeacon) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 08:10 pm: Edit

I think you have a pretty good chance at Wake. They are need of more diverse students, which you have ethnically and geographically. What is your unweighted GPA? and what kind of classes did you take? This could help me give you a better idea of your chances. My SATs were a 1300 however I was ranked in the top 5% of my class.

By Neelesh (Neelesh) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 08:53 pm: Edit

i actually dont know what my rank is, and the top 15% is the worst of worst assumption. my unweighted gpa isn;t very good-3.74. this is all the classes i took:

9th grade-
Geometry-(part of honors pace)rest took algebra
honors english
honors science
an electronics class
weight training
world history
spanish I

10th grade
honors alegbra 2
honors english
chemistry(honors pace)
biology
intro to fitness
visual basic
trig
spanish II

11th grade
Honors English
Human Anatomy and Physiology
AP history
AP statistics
strength and conditioning
physics
pre-calculus
spanish III

12th grade
AP biology
AP Calculus
AP Chemistry
Buisness computer applications..(grr. i am better at this than the teacher, but this class is required for graduation so i have to take it no matter if i already know how to do everything....)
US govt( i didnt wana take AP cause 4 AP=hell for me atleast)
economics
Senior English (i didn't wanna take AP cause i know i will do badly in it..english is not my forte)
psychology(however u spell that)

oh. i know this will probably hurt me alot, but i got 2 C's, one in Trig, and one in AP stats....

my extra curriculars are-
renaissance club
key club
honor society
spanish club
500 hours of volunteer at hospital(ER, front desk-this is the most of all the volunteers)
volunteer at each Science Expo for past 5 years

oh, and i want to maybe add Vanderbilt..where would i put that. reach?

By Neelesh (Neelesh) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 06:14 pm: Edit

so..

By Neelesh (Neelesh) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

oops. i already have vandy. sorry.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:45 pm: Edit

What kind of a college do you want? What do you want to study? What are your interests? What kind of atmosphere? That will determine a list, a bit more than your stats. You have some wide divergence in the schools you have picked--UVa, Wesleyan, UCLA. Are there any common themes.

The problem with the counselor-o-matic is that it focuses on some of the questions such as frats, dorms and other minor features of a school, does not determine atmosphere or the type of education at the school very well. Case Western and George Mason are odd bedfellows indeed, and I would really hate to see someone pick schools by spinning the wheel like you are doing.

By Neelesh (Neelesh) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 04:37 pm: Edit

i really dont have a preference in schools. location does not matter, frats does not matter. i just want a good school with a good academic record. It does not matter how big or small the school is, although i would prefer a university that is not very very gigantic in the number of students it has. i want to study premed, or biology. i want to become a doctor. the extra curricular does not really matter. i am in to just about everything.

By Linedeacon (Linedeacon) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 05:02 pm: Edit

For Wake, your schedule looks good and 2 Cs shouldn't hurt you too much, they were in difficult classes. UVA and UCLA are reaches for any out of stater. For Vandy, I don't know a lot about their admissions process but I'd assume similar to WF's and more selective. I think you may need to visit schools and get a feel for what you like and don't like. You said you didn't like gigantic schools so I'd consider cutting out schools like UCLA and Penn State. The University of Pittsburgh is better for Pre-med anyway as opposed to PSU. Maybe look at James Madison in VA, GMU is a big commuter school. Apply to an in-state school too for a financial safety. Definitley narrow down the reaches, all of the schools you are considering have very good reps, just figure out which one suits you best.

By Neelesh (Neelesh) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 05:34 pm: Edit

thanks for the advice. anyone else?

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 07:01 pm: Edit

I think Case and Brandeis would be good matches for your major. Pittsburgh would be a good safty. Also look at U Delaware Honors and Penn State Honors (not sure about GPA or rank on these). U Mass Amherst Honors might also be interesting. The honors programs at the best publics give you many of the advantages of private school with the bonus of a huge selection of classes to choose from.

By Neelesh (Neelesh) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 08:22 pm: Edit

thanks. if anyone else wants to help, feel free to. :-)

By Neelesh (Neelesh) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:31 pm: Edit

oh. here is another question.
which places would be better to do ED? I am applying to Rice EA, but i dont know which would be best for me to apply ED since u can only apply to one. Which school would be the best bet for me to apply ED?

my (very high)reach schools are: (excluding Rice)

WUSTL
Cornell
Columbia
Brown
Dartmouth
UVa
UNC-chapel hill
Vanderbilt

By Neelesh (Neelesh) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:35 pm: Edit

oh sorry. UNC has early action.

just wondering. is there any chance at all that i can somehow make it into Yale EA?

By Flopsy (Flopsy) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:39 pm: Edit

Technically, UCLA should be a reach along with UC Berkeley; both have more or less equally high standards for out-of-state applicants. Try to improve your SAT scores to 1400+ to get a better chance at beating their numbers game.

By Neelesh (Neelesh) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

yea. im studying for the SAT. I have one last chance to take it, so...my biggest problems are in math, dumb mistakes, and i spend to long on some problems because i dont know the shortcuts, and in verbal, the reading comprehension, which i think i might have down now. so hopefuly. i get a 1370+ score on the SAT, which is my goal. a 1400 would be perfect.

By Knightmare123 (Knightmare123) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 03:51 pm: Edit

"my biggest problems are in math"
Eh, su kere chhe! lol..You're Indian right? Anyways, you're Asian and you have trouble in Math?? Now..now..come on..but, your stats look impressive. I'm also trying for Case Western and all those other schools you've mentioned, but my stats are a tad bit lower, so my hopes aren't that high. I think UC-Berkley is tough for out-of-staters. Why don't you have Duke/Northwestern up there? Northwestern can be a pretty good reach school for you, in my opinion.

By Neelesh (Neelesh) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 12:29 am: Edit

lol. i dont really have problems in math, but its the dumb mistakes in math..lol..

and yes, im indian. :-) lets hope we both make it where we want to go.

By Lahhdyydum (Lahhdyydum) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 02:16 am: Edit

i think emory would be a reach for you too.

By Vijeth (Vijeth) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 09:24 am: Edit

hey i am an indian too Neelesh and Knightmare123.
My stats are not that bad. a little better but i am still worried. Not to steal your thread or anything but can you apply to Cornell Ed and Uchicago EA at the same time. I was a little confused

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page