Chances at Duke, Ivies, Stanford, with a higher SAT?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Chances at Duke, Ivies, Stanford, with a higher SAT?
By Neobez (Neobez) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 11:06 am: Edit

hey, as is, I'm confident in myself in that I pushed myself in all areas throughout high school.
3.92 unweighted
full IB diploma (anticipated), hardest classes
rank 3/409, public school, georgia resident.
Started + President of Film Club for 2 years
Literary Club Pres, Literary Magazine contributor
Math Team (captain next year), Model UN both 3 Years, City Museum work, several writing contests won. I've kept a website for almost 2 years now, I write a great deal in general, non fiction, fiction, screenplays, etc. I'm making a few short films. community work, tutoring for honour societies. I'm also starting an Amnesty International Group this coming semester, as I'm really into human rights issues.

the only weak part so far is my SAT from january
1320 (660660)

I'm working as hard as I can right now to bring that up in October.

Let us say that I write good essays (hopefully). My Teacher Recs will be great, 2 teachers know me quite well and the respect is mutual between us.

If I get a 1450 or above, how are my chances at the following institutions:
Georgetown (school of foreign service)
Stanford
Yale
Dartmouth
Brown
Duke
Northwestern (medill)
UNC-Chapel Hill
UofVirginia

no sat IIs yet, but I'm working hard for the best possible scores.

in terms of majors, I like international relations, political science, english, journalism, classics, some form of middle eastern studies or asian language. but really I'm probably undecided.

I would greatly appreciate any response, thanks.

By Jonw222 (Jonw222) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:17 pm: Edit

With your SAT scores where they are now, the schools you list are reaches. Even with a 1450, a lot of these schools still will be reaches. You have no SAT II scores either so you don't know where those will be either.

At the highest levels, you can't bank on going up 120 points. I would highly recommend you find some matches and safety schools that you would like to go to. Since you are from Georgia, what about the University of Georgia?

With your stats the way they are, these schools are reaches. Of course your chances improve with a 1450, but I would definitely find some matches and safety schools. College admissions is just too random.

By Neobez (Neobez) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 03:03 pm: Edit

Yep I have some safety/match schools, UGA, Georgia Tech, and Emory (more of a match, but I'm pretty sure I'll get in if my SAT just gets to the upper 1300s. They like instate and IB students.

Thanks for the comments, I know 120 points is a great deal, but I'm determined to do so. Hopefully it'll work out. Even then alot of those schools are reaches, but hopefully I get into 2-3 of them.

My SAT II scores should be pretty good. I took a practice US History Test (Real SATII book) without studying, not having had the class since sophomore year when I took AP US History and I recieved a 720. Of course I plan to study and go over everything, so I think it's safe to say a 770-800 is not out of the question. I also plan on taking Math IIC and Writing.

By Neobez (Neobez) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 09:06 pm: Edit

diggty check yourself be4 ya wreck yaself

By Wobudong (Wobudong) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 09:44 pm: Edit

Stanford, Yale and Duke will each have at least 5000 applicants with 1450, so that score by itself will help but will not set you apart from the rest of the pack. Some of your interests seem to make you a good match for Brown, but you probably will need 1400+ and a solid (>700) SAT 2 writing score to be in the running. UGA would be almost free with the Hope, so it is certainly worth serious consideration.

By Neobez (Neobez) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 03:17 pm: Edit

fo real thanks

yeah I'm really considering UGA as a good alternative (or georgia tech, possible), but i want to get my SAT higher still to get into the honours program.

but the reason I want a 1400+ is just to make myself a competitive applicant, ;cause I mean honestly, I've worked hard and achieved good things on all fronts except the standardized test front, and I believe with hard work (also taking a kaplan course in august) I can improve that.

thanks for the responses, anyone else?

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 03:31 pm: Edit

You have a good list, since you're applying to a bunch of "good reaches" I think you will land at least one of those top schools with a 1450.

By Mysticwistful (Mysticwistful) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 04:03 pm: Edit

Stanford and Yale are uber-uber reaches, Dartmouth is an uber-reach, Duke and Brown are reaches, and the rest are matches.

By Neobez (Neobez) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 06:07 pm: Edit

I appreciate the responses

good news, did the first practice test in 10 Real SATs book today, got a 1410 (710V,700M), definitely an improvement. I'm getting there, and I'm gonna keep at it.

By Susu (Susu) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 06:40 pm: Edit

First of all, there are very few people on this thread who know what they're talking about, including me. Other HS students know absolutely zip.

Secondly, don't let anyone tell you that 120 points is not makeable. You'll do it easily. Taking the SAT is a lot like golf--you practice the fundamentals until you're done. Then, the last thought that should go through your head before you begin the swing (or test) is "Hey, who gives a f***."

Third, if you're a good writer, look for some other contests to enter and make that your "hook". I know Brown used to run a writing contest.

Fourth, for too-tightly-wound test-taking maniacs out there--my friend's daughter got into Dartmouth with a 1350. She took the test once, said "That proves my IB diploma isn't a fluke", walked away, wrote a VERY good essay and gave a VERY good interview, applied ED, and got in. So there.

By Neobez (Neobez) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 10:16 pm: Edit

Thanks for the encouraging words SuSu . I've been hoping the IB diploma isn't a fluke. . .It's quite challenging but I love it for that, and it's good to know colleges recognize it for what it is.

There have been alot saying that raising the SAT 130 points like that isn't possible, including my brother. But I'm not gonna just take their word for it. I believe it can be done, and I'll try my best to do it. I'm not just gonna hit 1450 and quit either. . .I'm really going to push myself as far as I can go.

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 01:34 am: Edit

I went up 100 points before. I had a 1480 and took it again to get a 1580. I thought about going for it a third time and getting the perfect score but I got too lazy.

By Neobez (Neobez) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 11:42 am: Edit

^sweet, I guess it is possible for me then.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page