Liberals vs. Conservatives

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Liberals vs. Conservatives
By Vancat (Vancat) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:25 pm: Edit

Hey I'm going into either aerospace mechanical or biomedical engineering.

my potential choices: UMich, Cornell, Duke, CalTech, Carnegie Mellon, Northwestern, and Columbia, Standford, etc...

Which of them tend to lean towards the conservative side (or at least not AS liberal)? I really don't won't to go to a place full of granola eating vegan hippies.

By Sbhopeful (Sbhopeful) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 12:16 am: Edit

"I really don't won't to go to a place full of granola eating vegan hippies."

Yeah, since that's what all liberals are....with your narrow minded thinking, here is a better list for you:

Universtiy of Phoenix Online
ITT Tech
Devry
Kapella
University Alliance

By Pedro7487 (Pedro7487) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 12:58 am: Edit

"I really don't won't to go to a place full of granola eating vegan hippies."

ok...

By Hopkinslax (Hopkinslax) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:15 am: Edit

First, I hate granola
Second, I can't comprehend being a vegan
Third, I am most definately not a hippy
Forth, I am voting for Kerry
Lastly, that's what you said a liberal is and it certainly turned out completely opposite :)

PS But you also have your wackadoodles

By Thekev (Thekev) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:24 am: Edit

Look at:
Duke
CalTech
Carnegie Mellon
Northwestern
U of Chicago
NC State
Virginia Tech
Rose Hulman
Oklahoma State
Georgia Tech

By Thekev (Thekev) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:24 am: Edit

Look at:
Duke
CalTech
Carnegie Mellon
Northwestern
U of Chicago
NC State
Virginia Tech
Rose Hulman
Oklahoma State
Georgia Tech

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 03:03 am: Edit

*fourth

By B18c1cx (B18c1cx) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 03:18 am: Edit

A: "There are a lot of angry people out there"... B: "Yea, they're called democrats."

A rediculous statement from a good friend.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 05:30 am: Edit

Vancat, the first sign of a well educated person is tolerance and open mindedness.

I am a devout Catholic, I presonally believe in the death penalty (castration with a rock and anvil for rapists), I think abortions are wrong, I eat 30 OZ porterhouse steaks medium rare after a Beluga Caviar hors d'oeuvre, guzzle Johnnie Walker's Blue Label, smoke Cohibas rolled by little children in Cuba, dislike John Kerry, swear like a sailor and am about as delicate and tactful as Professor Henry Higgins! You may have noticed my tact in other postings too.

This said, I also happen to think I have no right to tell others how to lead their lives, I believe that values are not predicated on religious conviction and personal believes, people who think differently from can still be my friends and earn my respect, I am pro-choice where abotion and Euthanasia are concerned because I do not know better, I think George Bush Jr. and Condoleezza Rice are morons (as the word is defined by the American Heritage Dictionary) and that Dick Cheney, Paul Wolfowitz and Donald Rumsfeld are corrupt, cowardly evil men, I don't believe that war can ever solve any problem and I believe that all people, regardless of age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, physical appearance and educational/social class are equally capable, trustworthy and entitled to the same basic rights.

What am I? Exactly, I am a complex individual, like almost every student you will encounter at any top university, above any simple description. Smart people tend to be complex you know.

By Daisyheadmayzie (Daisyheadmayzie) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 08:17 am: Edit

Saying that all liberals are "granola eating vegan hippies" is equivalent to saying that all conservatives are Bible-thumping bigots. Neither applies to the majority of each group.

I used to think about conservatives in that stereotypical way until my parents moved to the south, where a lot of people lean towards the right. Though reluctantly at first, I've learned to open my mind towards their beliefs (some of which I found to overlap with mine), and have also made many friends.

With that said, you can look at the politics and school type lists on The Princeton Review site. There's nothing wrong with choosing a college that fits you, but you should always keep an open mind.

By Beetle (Beetle) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 09:29 am: Edit

Stop going offtopic and just go along the lines of what the first replier did.

I also reccomend the same schools the first replier did in addition to the local community college.If you graduate CC, you can move on to Brigham Young or "Standford"

"Smart people tend to be complex you know."
No they don't. Stop stereotyping.

By Ivyman1 (Ivyman1) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 10:27 am: Edit

So beetle why those schools? Should the good colleges be reserved for liberals only? Go drink a veggie shake and cool down.
That said, I was a conservative at probably the most liberal institution in America (though berkley might contest this). It really aint that bad, I have a lot of friends who are liberals they are all very nice people, and none of them that I know are hippies (and the only vegetarian is one because of his religion).
A good relatively conservative school - washington and lee. Among the ivies, probably princeton or cornell are your best bets. Best of luck to ya.

By Ivyman1 (Ivyman1) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 10:29 am: Edit

Interestingly enough my alma mater, supposedly super liberal Columbia, has the second largest "Students for Bush" campaign among the ivies, as of June 28th. The GOP convention is even having some events at Columbia...so you never know

By Neobez (Neobez) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 11:08 am: Edit

LMAO SBHOPEFUL
you made my day dude.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 03:22 pm: Edit

Let's get a few things straight.

1. This thread is hilarious.
2. Liberals are granola eating vegan hippies.
3. Michael Moore is fat and a master of evil propaganda.
4. I'm not applying to ITT Tech and DeVry. Those are my safety schools. WIth my stats I am a Shoo-In for Lincoln Technical Institute.
5. IGNORANCE is the true measure of intelligence.
6. Tolerance and Open-mindedness is overrated.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 04:26 pm: Edit

Oh and a seventh thing (for SbHopeful)

7. I am already graduating with HONORS from Mercer County Community College with My Associates degree in Advertising and I'm only 19! HA! Now who's the stupid one.

By Sarasote (Sarasote) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 04:49 pm: Edit

i hope hes joking lol, kinda sad/pathetic if he isnt

By Vancat (Vancat) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 05:53 pm: Edit

And Another thing

I'm probably smarter than all of you combined. As a High School senior, I took Advanced Placement Statistics, WHICH IS A COLLEGE LEVEL COURSE. HA. There. I bet you guys can't even comprehend a college course in high schoo, much less get an awesome B+ in it like I did. Ha.

By Theocgirl (Theocgirl) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 06:30 pm: Edit

Um Vancat, a lot of people take college level calculus in high school and do better than a B+. Besides, statistics is really not that hard.

By Theocgirl (Theocgirl) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 06:31 pm: Edit

...And you need to do better than that if you want to go to Cal Tech!

By Dostoyevsky (Dostoyevsky) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 06:35 pm: Edit

hes kidding

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 09:05 pm: Edit

vancat, ap stats is a joke, people that go to caltech probably took it in middle school or as a freshman in high school. dont go to caltech, i heard from a diehard republican that they were all, "asian liberal hippies who eat artichokes all the time." hes going to princeton, so maybe try there, or duke or vandy. finally, dont ever make fun of granola, its awesome, especially when you get it in those bars in all those cool different flavors, like 'smore, or almond crunch.

By Battleofny (Battleofny) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 09:59 pm: Edit

if u are smart and conservative come to Vandy.

challengin classes, hot girls, awesome parties.

and best of all NO granola eating vegan hippies

Bush '04.

By Conker (Conker) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 11:47 pm: Edit

Vancat is obviously being facetious. He's trying to make a mockery of conservatives.

By Guitarshredder (Guitarshredder) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 12:44 am: Edit

I'm not going to get into this stupid liberal vs. conservative arguments, but I will tell you that if you're looking for a more conservative environment you will not find it in Northwestern/Evanston.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 03:41 pm: Edit

OK ALl you people who think I am not smart enough HOWS THIS:

1. As a JUNIOR, I got 100 Friggin POints above the national average for my SATs. THATS PRETTY DAMN GOOD. 100 FULL POINTS. I HIGHLY doubt any of you could even come close.

2. PETA stands for PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS.

3. For a furthur clarification, I took ADVANCED PLACEMENT Statistics, which is the REAL college level. You people all take that "AP" crap that is simply a ripoff of the REAL advanced placement program. I doubt "AP" is even an accredited program. I am perfectly confident that my ADVANCED PLACEMENT class puts me at the top of the class.

By Andrew1218 (Andrew1218) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 04:21 pm: Edit

lol. i took advanced placement surfing PE at my school, i think i win. and i got a 6 on the "advanced placement" test. They gave me an extra point because i was so "advanced"

By Aspirer42 (Aspirer42) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 04:22 pm: Edit

Don't feed the trolls, kids.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 07:04 pm: Edit

Ok ASpirer42, how can I be a troll? A troll is a short stumpy creature with a distorted face and big hair. The last time I checked, I:

1. Am tall
2. Am lean
3. Have a regular face
4. Have a crew cut.

According to those scientific definitions of a troll, I CLEARLY am not one. One should do more research before categorizing people into certain species.

By Lisasimpson (Lisasimpson) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 08:27 pm: Edit

vancat, will you have my babies..........unless you're a girl, in which case..ew

By Vancat (Vancat) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 11:51 am: Edit

Fool. You have to get MARRIED to have babies. I'm not talking about that Bullsh*T "wedding" that people do now-a-days. From where I come from, the ONLY way you are going to have kids if you get a REAL MARRIAGE, not a ripoff phony "wedding" like so many people are doing these days.

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 01:00 pm: Edit

Check out Georgia Tech.

By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

this thread is such a joke. LOL

By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 06:16 pm: Edit

"From where I come from, the ONLY way you are going to have kids if you get a REAL MARRIAGE, not a ripoff phony "wedding" like so many people are doing these days."

Vancat, where do u come from anyway? and who told u u need to have a "REAL MARRIAGE" to have kids? Someone need to go to 6th grade Sex-Ed classes. Joking.

By Dreamsicle (Dreamsicle) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 01:26 am: Edit

hahaha... this is even better than my hippies thread...

anyway, all rudeness and obnoxiousness aside, if you're really looking for schools that "lean to the conservative side", i would cross off columbia from your list.

By Steveruleworld (Steveruleworld) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 03:20 am: Edit

dude, in middle school i got 100 points above the average, so what? doesn't say anything except that you can take standardized tests well.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:27 am: Edit

Pfft...Steveruleworld I'm pretty sure you DON"T take the real SAT in middle school. I bet you only took the PSAT, which stands for Pre-SAT and is intended for high school remedial education students ONLY. Thats not even the real thing. I TOOK THE REAL THING and scored above the national average.

By Steveruleworld (Steveruleworld) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 02:52 pm: Edit

If you say i didn't then i must obviously be wrong, because of course you know all about me and what i've done. And of course i had no idea what PSAT meant. Or that you are setting yourself up for a catastrophic fall with your inflated ego.
The second part of my statement stands.

A few suggestions. Stop criticising the ones who you want help from. Realize that your acomplishments aren't that great in the grand scheme. And that not everything that you think know about people online is what is actually true.

I personally am pretty conservative in my views... However, i realized that if i want to learn to do well in the world you've gotta understand where others get their ideas and views. Also, if you don't allow others to try to influence you and challenge your ideas, how can you know that they are the correct views? I decided on Berkeley from out of state because i want to learn how to do this better. Figure out how to tone yourself down, mature a bit, then maybe you should look at college.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

Haha, steveruleworld messed up BAD guurrrrlfriend.

Did you know that all of my relatives say that I am MORE mature than my little cousin. SEE. THERE. THat proves it. MY OWN RELATIVES SAY I AM MORE MATURE THAN MY LITTLE COUSIN. Clearly, I'm super mature, which completely disproves your point,

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 08:12 pm: Edit

dude, if stevenruleworld got 100 higher that the national average on the PSAT in middle school, hes god, because thats something like 250.

By Salik_Syed (Salik_Syed) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 01:24 pm: Edit

the national average is about 1060 so if you got 100 above that in middle school who the hell cares... you are one of the less stupid yet still stupid people .... 1160 sucks there are people that get 1600 in middle school biatch

By Pedro7487 (Pedro7487) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 02:49 pm: Edit

"Fool. You have to get MARRIED to have babies."

Do you? Damn, I knew what I learned in Biology was wrong. As a matter of fact..I agree with you. I may have gone a little far with it though. Last week before my dog was bred she had to be legally married by New York State. I couldn't breed her without her being married! I knew in my heart it wouldn't be right. Of course a regular priest wouldn't do, since it was a dog wedding. We needed to find a registered "Dog Minister." It took a pretty long time, no dogs speak English these days.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 06:51 pm: Edit

Its a proven fact backed by every reputable biologist in the world. In order for the sperm to properly mate with the egg, a MARRIAGe MUST be performed. The marriage is the enzyme that catalyses the sperm activity. you need to put down your elementary school bio book and get a real one.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 06:53 pm: Edit

Oh and Salik Syed: A 100 is already an A+. Considering I got a 1160, that is already an A TIMES 11.6. That is pretty damn good. Doubt you could Ever get it.

By Steveruleworld (Steveruleworld) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 06:59 pm: Edit

WTF are you talking about? You need to clarify yourself on what you are talking about. You got a 1160 as a junio in high school is that what you are saying?

This thread stopped making sense a long time ago. Not worth continuing to read it. Just chose a school and get ready for rejection with that pompous attitude of yours. You aren't that great.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

An 1160 is an A with 11.6 pluses. Since a 100 is already an A, my score owns ALL. Period. I'm definately going to OXford.

By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 10:36 pm: Edit

k, u can obviously c that Vancat is kidding around. So a 1160 would be an A++++++++++ and (+ times .6) LOL!

By Pedro7487 (Pedro7487) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 03:17 pm: Edit

College of the Ozarks may be a good fit. It's extremely selective, moreso than many ivies, it has no tuition, and it's very conservative.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 05:04 pm: Edit

Excuse me but I'd rather not be going to college with "Ozarks", what ever they are. I heard they were unshaven country folk, which probably means that I'll have to introduce them to electricity, books, shoes, cars, and everything else.

PLus, didn't Ozarks become extinct a few hundred years ago? I recall that they used to have population in the millions (so large in fact they could easily block out the sun during a long migration), but overzealous hunters quickly shot them all down from the sky until they became extinct.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:40 pm: Edit

What's the difference between a troll and an Ozark? I've heard them being used all over the place, and I'm not certain as to which is which. Ozarks are the hairy and feathery ones right that travel in huge groups right?

By Vancat (Vancat) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

at least I have UC berkely as my safety; and whats better, UCBerk is one of the most conservative schools in the world. A perfect match with a 100% homogeneous student body. I could not ask for more

By Lisasimpson (Lisasimpson) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 08:30 pm: Edit

holy crap i read this thread through almost from the beginning and i •••• myself laughing, especially when people actually kept thinking vancat was serious..yea..so i should go clean this mess up.

By Mhawk177 (Mhawk177) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 08:40 pm: Edit

That comment doesn't even deserve the dignity of a response

By Needhelp06 (Needhelp06) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 09:52 pm: Edit

HAHAHAHAHAHA Vancat is a moron. I needed a laugh tho. Thanks.

By Adidasty (Adidasty) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 10:41 pm: Edit

lmao Vancat is hilarious. but still, #1 Kerry is awesome. #2 I am a hippy. lol

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page