IS 1300 really a bad score?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: IS 1300 really a bad score?
By Pupsingh (Pupsingh) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

is 1300 bad now, seems like cant get anywhere with it.
wat is it considered?
good, bad, average, great, very good, decent?

By Geodude666 (Geodude666) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

wow, how many threads have you stared in the last hour now? a 1300 isn't bad, considering the average score is around 1000. there are plenty of schools more than willing to accept a 1300.

By Gatechboy (Gatechboy) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 11:19 pm: Edit

I am sorry to say, but shut the freak up. man, a 1300 is great. do you know how many kids cant make that score even with prep. I mean, ughh. it aggrivates the hell out of me when fools with 1300 and crap are mad. man, you all will get into any good college. and even if you dont get into harvard or stanford, that does not mean you will not be sucessful. you know how many guys i seen who had all the top scores, got into the good colleges, and still are watiers at golden corral or ryans. man. so what do you think. honestly. i should report y ou to the moderator for even asking a question like that. smart ass!!!

p.s dont take this as offesive. i am just a littel frustrated, but yea, 1300 is not half bad.

By Pupsingh (Pupsingh) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 11:32 pm: Edit

thanks thats wat i was hoping to hear.
i was jus disappointed dude someone started laughin at my score wen asked for chances for UCSD. i was like, damn, i thought i did good.

By Calidan (Calidan) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 11:41 pm: Edit

I got a 1300 my first time, and I was thrilled as hell! It's an excellent score, and that puts you in the running for most competitive colleges (save HYPMSC, etc.). Good job!

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 12:07 am: Edit

i got into an ivy with a 1300.

I know a few people who got into harvard with 1280, 1300. A guy who got into stanford with 1320. A girl into princeton with 1310.

It's a good solid score. If you couple it with great ECs, excellent grades, good essays and recs then you have a shot at any school. People on this site think the SAT is everything...it really is only just another factor in the equation.

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 12:28 am: Edit

no. now go study.

By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 12:29 am: Edit

Dude, I saw like all of ur threads... next time, stick with one post instead of flooding the site with a million little threads with different questions. A 1300 is a VERY good score but with a 3.8 GPA, u might get into UCLA and UCB if u r VERY lucky. UCSD is a good possibility though.

Proof of statements made above:

http://www.sonicpixel.net/ahs04/ucsd.gif
http://www.sonicpixel.net/ahs04/ucla.gif
http://www.sonicpixel.net/ahs04/ucb.gif

By Vulcano (Vulcano) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 12:40 am: Edit

I got a 1300 and I got into great universities.

By Pupsingh (Pupsingh) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 11:41 pm: Edit

bump

By Killaerone (Killaerone) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 12:28 am: Edit

"Although he had an SAT score of 1206, 200 points below that of the average Yale freshman in 1970, George Bush benefited from an admissions policy that gave preference to the children of alumni (his score was at roughly the 70th percentile nationwide)."

-lee

By Pupsingh (Pupsingh) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 12:30 am: Edit

reassuring quote.
im gonna be like George Bush.wow.

By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 12:35 am: Edit

ofcourse, a 1206 in the 70's is like getting a 1300 now. But still, he got in because of his father's influence. Its kind like how Mr. Burns gets his son into Yale by donating an airport. Simpsons kills me. LOL. The have a personality versus donation chart. That gold...

u guys have seen this simpsons episode right?

By Thekev (Thekev) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:02 am: Edit

Look at the percentile man! A 1300 is most excellent! Most kids would cry tears of joy upon recieving that grade. Some kids spends tons of money prepping for lower grades than that. Heck be grateful for your talent and proud of your potential!

By Killaerone (Killaerone) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:16 am: Edit

lol.. good job

By Hopkinslax (Hopkinslax) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:16 am: Edit

A guy I know got into Princeton with a 1200!!! Now is a 1300 really that bad now?

By Stelikepalli (Stelikepalli) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 10:29 am: Edit

How did Bush get a 1206? Arn't SAT scores rounded off to nearest 10? Or is that an average?

By Jadex (Jadex) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 11:33 am: Edit

In a word: NO.

I'm sick of people thinking that a SAT score of less than 1400 or something is anywhere near remotely bad. The average SAT score is around 1060 or something. Many people get into more selective universities with SAT scores of 1200 and the like, because they've proven that they're not just a score. Make sure your academic RECORD is strong and you've done something else with your life other that just study and strive for high scores on the SAT. It's *just a test*, not the end of the world!

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 11:46 am: Edit

It's a good score but it IS harder to get into colleges with that score unless you also have a solid background in other areas like your school grades, extra-curriculars, community service, etc.

If those are just "good" too, then you might re-take it if you have time to take it again and feel that you can improve.

By Pupsingh (Pupsingh) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 02:37 pm: Edit

bump

By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 03:51 pm: Edit

Stelikepalli, u have to remember that the SAT weren't the same during the 1970's as it is now. That is why I mentioned that getting a 1206 was like getting a 1300 now.

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 04:11 pm: Edit

Is a combined 1300 from 2 different tests the same as a 1300 with just one test?

I took the SAT twice and I received 1300 with 680 math and 620 verbal using my top scores from both tests. heh, I'm planning on retaking once more this fall for the last time if I need it. It's funny because I can get an ACT score equivalent to a 1550 on the SAT.

By Sarasote (Sarasote) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 04:54 pm: Edit

in the past i believe before the 90s. SATs were by 1s. u could get any score. in like 1990 or something recent they changed it to increments of 10

By Elizabeth22 (Elizabeth22) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 03:08 pm: Edit

BfJava-

Unless you're applying to Princeton, just don't submit your SATs.

By Mimi (Mimi) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

you're making me feel bad. >:C

By Ksolo (Ksolo) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 11:53 pm: Edit

Hey, you guys have to cut some of these kids some slack in their anxiety of SAT scores. Each year, there are increasingly more high school students graduating. Therefore, you have more students getting high SAT scores. And in turn, schools that were previously not so competitive, have now become quite competitive. So a student getting a 1300 on the SAT today, isnt as impressive as when a student got a 1300, five or ten years ago. Years ago, a high score like a 1300 could assure a student a great chance of getting into any of the Ivy's. Today, a 1300 doesnt have that same guarantee to get into the Ivies or schools that rival it.

All I know is that I'm definitely glad I dont have to deal with the competition students face today. With my scores five years ago, if I applied to the same institutions I was accepted to, I would've been rejected.

By Salik_Syed (Salik_Syed) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:59 pm: Edit

1300 isn't all that great...its fine if you are going to a UC ....!

By Siurymercedes (Siurymercedes) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 01:06 pm: Edit

I got a 1230 is that bad? I almost cried when I saw my score because I really want to go to Amherst College and it seems everyone there got a 1400. I also got a C on my worst subject,History,Besides that Iwould have had honors. I don't play any varsity sports either. Do I have a chance? If I don't is there anything I can do because I really badly want to go there.

By Bee_Bee (Bee_Bee) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 02:16 pm: Edit

< rolls her eyes

you know, posts like siury annoy me like hell. unless you're joking...

By Bee_Bee (Bee_Bee) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 02:18 pm: Edit

< rolls her eyes

you know, posts like siury annoy me like hell. unless you're joking...

my advice: work hard, apply and see if you get in

By Kimjh (Kimjh) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 11:54 pm: Edit

'pup', whats ur percentile for math/verbal?

By Copper45 (Copper45) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 03:55 pm: Edit

Depends on the school. For the top 25, it isn't a good score. For HYPSM, it's a fatal score. For most public universities, it's a great score.

By Pupsingh (Pupsingh) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 04:04 pm: Edit

kim,
percentile for math was 65
percentile for verbal was 88

By Kimjh (Kimjh) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 01:18 am: Edit

mhm...pup, are u planning to retake? ~

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 02:23 am: Edit

"i was jus disappointed dude someone started laughin at my score wen asked for chances for UCSD. i was like, damn, i thought i did good."

The average SAT for kids accepted to UCSD for Fall 2004 was 1298. A 1300 is also higher than the average SAT score of all California public high schools except Whitney.

http://www.ucop.edu/news/factsheets/2004/freshman_admit_profile_2004.pdf

By Voodoochile (Voodoochile) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 03:25 am: Edit

To the original question..
It depends.

Is a Toyota Camry a bad car? It depends. If you want to use it for F1 racing, then yes, it is a bad car, but if you just want to drive around town, then it is not a bad car. In fact, it is a good car.

So is 1300 a bad score? For most colleges, it is not a bad score, but if you want to get into Harvard or something, then it is a bad score.

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:48 am: Edit

According to the college board, for the tests taken in 2003, a 1300 is the top score in the 89th percentile. I can't tell you what that means in terms of the schools you want to apply to. It's only one of many factors the schools look at. But all in all, if you look at how you stack up against the other test takers in the country, you look very good.

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 12:46 pm: Edit

To refute aliasmatrix's claim that Mr. Burns got his son (played by Rodney Dangerfield) into Yale through donating an international airport, Mr. Burns never actually considered such "philanthropy" but rather kicked his son out of his house after that incident if I'm not mistaken. 1300 is really only considered average on this board and in a lot of magnet schools.

By Starryqt22 (Starryqt22) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 12:53 pm: Edit

1300 is a great score! You have done better than many other people who took this test. It is considered good almost everywhere except this board...lol...good job. I know people with 1200's who got into ivy's (stanford and harvard), so don't sweat it.

By Knightmare123 (Knightmare123) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 01:01 pm: Edit

So, what everyone on this board is saying is that...1200+ is a decent score? Lol.. well, phew..

By Senioritis2005 (Senioritis2005) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 06:08 pm: Edit

Actually, it was mentioned that the average SAT score is 1060, but it really is 1000. That's because it's done on a percentile base, almost like a curve. So, theoretically, if you got three wrong on the math but everybody else in the country got four wrong, you would get an 800. That's why sometimes scoring for practice tests is off. If you take the test with a lot of smarter kids, then you will score lower and vice versa. Hope this helps.

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 07:09 pm: Edit

The average SAT score is 1026 and the median is 1030.

http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloads/about/news_info/cbsenior/yr2003/pdf/2003CBSVM.pdf

http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloads/about/news_info/cbsenior/yr2003/pdf/table_3b.pdf

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:37 pm: Edit

"So, theoretically, if you got three wrong on the math but everybody else in the country got four wrong, you would get an 800. That's why sometimes scoring for practice tests is off. If you take the test with a lot of smarter kids, then you will score lower and vice versa."

This is simply not true. Each test is set up with a pre-standardized raw score/scaled score equivalence before it is administered. Your percentile is what is affected by the population taking the test, not your scaled score.

By Benzinspeicher (Benzinspeicher) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:22 pm: Edit

CMU, Cornell, RPI, Northwestern, JHU, Wesleyan all have avg. SAT scores in the 1300s

So shut the hell up!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page