Stanford chances

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Stanford chances
By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 08:19 pm: Edit

I know i put these same stats + question in for Harvard... but it's too late to edit that one~

Though I've heard how fickle the Stanford admissions are... what are my chances?

I'm interested in majoring in the area of humanities/social sciences

SAT I: 1530
Verbal: 780
Math: 750

SAT II:
Writing: 800
Math 2c: 790
US History: 750
Biology: 740

GPA:
9th: 4.066 (no APs)
10th: 4.1 (no APs)
11th: 4.84 (6 APs)

APs: (all junior year)
US History - 5
English Language- 5
Calculus AB- 5
German IV Language- 3
Biology- 5
French IV Language- 4

Senior Classes:
AP English Literature
AP Physics
American Government
World Religions
AP Calculus BC
AP German V
Sculpture

Community Service:
2 years tutoring at Hillsides Home for Children
4 years volunteering at Church
various fundraisers
(around 300 hours total???)

Work Experience:
Summer Internship at law office- 2004
3 years TA at Summer School (Science, Enameling, Drawing and Painting)- 2001-2003
"Angel" in L.A. Opera's production of "La Damnation de Faust"

Extra Curricular:
5 years in LACC (Los Angeles Children's Chorus) with performances with L.A. Philharmonic, L.A. Opera, as well as independent concerts and regional festivals
1 year Gumdo (Korean sword-fighting)
12 years Piano
2 years Voice
3 years Art
2 years Tennis

Elective Classes taken at school:
Enameling- 4 years
Drawing and Painting- 1 year
Spring Musical- 3 years
Madrigal Singers- 3 years
Acting- 2 years
Tap Dancing- 1 year

I don't really have any population size or geographic preference... and I'm not financially strapped (even though NOT paying the full tuition would be nice...)

I'm also a 17 year-old Korean-American female from California (if that matters)

thanks so much for all help/insight/advice~

By Jimt (Jimt) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 08:45 am: Edit

I'd say your chances look good, based on your stats. You might want to retake the Biology and US History SAT IIs, but I don't know if that would make much difference.

Why are you taking AP German again? There's only one exam offered; they don't have a literature one like with Spanish and French. If you want to get a higher test score this time, it obviously won't make a difference for admissions, since you won't even take the test again until after they have decided whether to accept you. Just curious.

By Beckygirl383 (Beckygirl383) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 09:43 am: Edit

Your scores and GPA look ok, but your extracurriculars don't seem throrough. Have you pursued anything for more than 2 years besides the piano? Have you won any awards or do you have any distinctions? At what level are you, piano-wise?

You look like a strong applicant, but I only see a smattering of your interests. If you could just highlight the really outstanding ends of your extracurriculars, then I'm sure you'd be a fiercely competitive candidate for top-tier schools.

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

whoops... I guess that I just assume that people will see connections between things even though that isn't at all reasonable.

sorry~ let me high-light a little bit.

I plan to major in the area of humanities or social sciences and then go to law school and become a lawyer. However, I also have many interests in the performing arts as well as art-art (as in drawing etc.)

So, even though it seems like LACC would merely necessitate one or two rehearsals a week and an occasional concert, it's actually a lot more demanding because it's a pretty well known choir in music-circles, usually performing with the L.A. Philharmonic and the L.A. Opera as well as regional festivals and individual concerts. We also go on yearly tours, alternating between staying in-country and going abroad. A documentary on the choir was made and nominated for an academy award in 2002 (though that doesn't really have anything to do with it), but the choir also has cds and some dvds... so it does take a fair amount of time and up to perhaps 30-40 hours a week of rehearsals and performances when one is occurring.

This love/interest in the performing arts can also be seen in my participation in the Madrigal Singers, the Spring Musical, acting, tap-dancing, and outside Voice lessons.

For Art, I have also taken classes as well as TAing 4 art-related summer classes 2 years in a row (Enameling and Drawing and Painting).

I am also interning at a law office this summer to help me to more fully understand why I want to be a lawyer and what qualities Im going to have to need and improve.

Is that more helpful or?

By 1214 (1214) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 03:04 pm: Edit

You seen like an amazking candidate for Stanford or any other school in the country. You're well-rounded, committed to arts (from your EC's) and I really like that you're not one-sided. Write a good essay and you're definitely "fiercely competitive."

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 03:37 pm: Edit

you can't tell... but I'm blushing

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 07:15 pm: Edit

does anyone know when Stanford starts this year? (Fall semester, i mean)... I think I'm just a complete idiot at finding stuff out on their site... couldn't find any information on visiting classes either...

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 08:07 pm: Edit

oh wow... i also forgot:

I've been on the tennis team for 3 years and will be on it again this year.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 08:15 pm: Edit

Stanford has a quarter system. So they start later. Like sometime in late September....probably even early October.

By Sgburke79 (Sgburke79) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 08:37 pm: Edit

This year the fall quarter begins September 27 at Stanford.

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 07:56 pm: Edit

Thanks!

I also forgot: I'm a co-president of the German Club (if anyone still reads this far down or this thread at all)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page