NORTHWESTERN, umichannarbor, uchicago, nyu, washu... all opi

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: NORTHWESTERN, umichannarbor, uchicago, nyu, washu... all opi
By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 06:57 pm: Edit

MY STATS:

9th
Leadership
1. Secretary for youth group at church
2. tutored kids in english for an hour a week
3. member of praise team at my church

Community Service
1. helped coordinate and participated in volunteering at soup kitchen (every other month)
2. helped coordinate and participate in a fasting program that raised money for kids in africa who needed food (30 HOUR FAMINE)
3. went on a missionary trip
4. helped coordinate and participated in giving gifts to children w/a parent in jail

Activities
1. Track
2. Jazz Band
3. Concert Band
4. Key Club
5. French Club

Awards/Recognitions
1. 2 different violin competitions- 1st place
2. scholar athlete award (is this significant at all?)
------------------------------------
10th
Leadership
1. member of praise team at my church

Community Service
1. soup kitchen

Activities
1. Symphonic Band(audition band)

Awards/Recognitions
1. an award for maintaining a certain g.p.a.
2. French Honor Society
-----------------------------------
11th
Leadership
1. Junior Book Award
2. served as a counselor for a 3-day program

Community Service
1. soup kitchen

Activities
1. costumes & business crew for theater at school
2. field hockey team
4. Wind ensemble(top audition band)
5. served as a mentor through my school to a mentee appointed to me
6. member of a club that deals with careers in the medical field (information about doctors, what they study, etc. etc.)

Awards/Recognitions
1. violin competition - honorable mention
2. another award for maintaining a certain g.p.a.
3. National Honor Society
4. French Honor Society

Work Experience
1. local accesssory shop
------------------------------------
12th (going to 12th grd, but i know i'll be in these activities, if not more)
Leadership
1. National Honor Society secretary
2. member of church praise team

Community Service
1. volunteer at local hospital (3 hrs a week)

Activities
1. Wind ensemble(top audition band)

Awards/Recognitions
1. National Honor Society
2. French Honor Society

-reason my 10th grade has almost no activities is that i moved to wisconsin (from california) right after freshman year.. so i was basically in totally new environment, new school, etc.
-SAT SCORE: first time: 1190;; second time: 1380
-ACT SCORE: 28 first time
-GPA: around.. 3.9? weighted. last time i checked, i was in top 12% of class.. not too good for colelges i'm considering :(.. i hope it's higher right now, 12% was in the middle of my junior year
-took two AP's junior year, one AP senior year
all my other classes since freshman year (except freshman year english, sophomore year chemistry) have been honors
-will be taking SATII's... not sure what subjects yet.

colleges i'm considering:
1)northwestern (early decision) ---ANY CHANCE AT ALL? or should i just not apply?
2)university of chicago
3)washington university
4)UCLA

5)univeristy of wisconsin-madison (i'm resident of wisconsin.. that will help me in admissions process, won't it?)
6)university of michigan-ann arbor
7)new york university
8)boston university
9)university of virginia

your input would be GREAT. thank you!

By Duke3d4 (Duke3d4) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 07:09 pm: Edit

Nice EC's but probably need to raise your GPA. SAT scores are nice too but UVA is hard for out of state. Brown/Cornell. should be easier to get into than uva out of state. Any lower ivy's should be considered if you are to be applying out of state uva.

By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 07:37 pm: Edit

is cornell and brown really hard work after you get accepted? because i heard cornell has the highest suicide rate b/c of the stress, work load, etc. etc. ...
with my stats though, will i be able to get into cornell or brown? preferably brown?

what about northwestern-early decision... anyone?

and thanks duke3d4 for ur help

OH and other suggestions of colleges that i should look at will be welcome...

By Duke3d4 (Duke3d4) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 09:27 pm: Edit

12% will hurt you, since if you check Ivy's, all Ivy's have 95% or higher of their students at top 10% in their school. maybe its even 99%.

Your SAT is avg for Brown, but what really sets youa part is your great EC.'s That, and applying ED may get you into Brown.

I wouldn't go into cornell, you do'nt wanna waste your ED there. Its a bit hard, I've heard, but then again everyone who goes there does engineering major so thats probably why.

By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 11:27 pm: Edit

does the fact that i am not really consistent with my e.c.'s hurt me? because i don't really have anything that i stuck to all four years except for a couple of things...

and i checked brown's student profile...
and it seeems SO high...
are u sure i have chance at brown? wow :) didn't even think of applying there...

how about northwestern??? anyone? =)

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 11:32 pm: Edit

You have a very good chance of being accepted to Northwestern, if you apply ED. You should go for it!

By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 11:56 pm: Edit

OH! and.. sorry for keep posting things..
but i wanted to know if i'm okay for carnegie mellon university also...

thanks!

so i'm okay for northwestern? that's my #1 choice.. so i'm kind of scared about whether or not i should waste my ED on that if i don't stand a chance.....

By Chrisy (Chrisy) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 07:00 am: Edit

need breakdown of that sat score or highest verbal and math.

By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 09:08 am: Edit

there's a big gap between verbal and math...
2nd time:
verbal: 630
math: 750
1st time:
verbal: 570
math: 620

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 10:21 am: Edit

What are you interested in majoring in? Your math score is excellent, and hopefully your Math SAT II will be as well.

Couple of other questions - what is your unweighted GPA, and what kind of track record does you school have getting kids into competitive schools?

By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 01:45 pm: Edit

i'm not sure what my unweighted gpa is...
i'm not even sure the exact gpa as of now, because 3.9 was my gpa in the middle of my junior year, after 1st semester. but my grades from first semester and second semester were exactly the same, so i'm guessing it hasn't changed much...

my school's very competitive, but i don't think many people go to competitive schools... i think my school's one of the best school districts in the area.. very high ratings, etc. etc. ... but people here usually just go to schools close to home... like last year, i don't know anyone who went to an ivy league... well, some people went to duke, boston university... the year before, some of the top students went to northwestern, caltech, upenn, u chicago...but MOST of the students just go to the schools close to here...

does the fact that my verbal score is so low hurt my chances?

i have no idea what i want to major in.. i'm going in undecided... probably going into school of literature arts & sciences... or whatever the school offers in that area...

is it easy to switch the undergrad schools once you're in the college? or does it depend on the college?

and thanks everyone for your help!

By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

bump before it gets too low... :)

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 07:15 pm: Edit

On chances - not being in the top 10% is an issue - especially if colleges are not familiar with your school. If you do really well in your SAT II's it will help.

BTW, to get your unweighted average - just recalculate with A's=4, B's=3 and so on. No extra points for honors or AP.

You should be in pretty good shape at UW Madison - in their "admissions expectation" pdf it looks like about 80-90% a chance for your stats. I think that you probably have one more safty that you really like on your list.

Another thing you should consider is what appeals to you about the schools on your list. NW is fabulous for pre-professional. U Chicago tends to appeal to more academic types. Have you visited both these schools?

I am going to suggest that you take a look at Macalester college as well as St. Olaf's. Very different from your current list, but you are close enough to visit, and you would get the LAC atmosphere.

By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 07:25 pm: Edit

i am visiting uchicago and northwestern soon.
and i think that colleges will be familiar with my school.. although it's not nationally known, it is very well known in the city i live in--it's one of the top public schools in this area.

both NW and UCHICAGO is appealing in many ways to me... am i okay for these schools though? i'm still in a dilemma about where i should apply ED.

thanks for your help ohio mom!

still waiting opinions on other schools.. especially umich-ann arbor and nyu-

thank you!

By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 07:33 pm: Edit

OH. unweighted GPA-

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 07:41 pm: Edit

Stuckat410: That's NU not "NW"

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 07:50 pm: Edit

Your current verbal score is low for U Chicago; if you can bear to take the SAT again, I think you would a much stronger candidate with a higher score. If you really like NW, it would be also be a reach but not impossible. When you visit - ask about ED. If you can ace your senior year and pull up your SAT verbal a bit, you that may do you more good than the ED bump. The other thing that may help is if you GC has a gray book or list of where other students from your school have applied and been accepted - and with what stats.

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 08:04 pm: Edit

Ohio_Mom: That's NU not "NW"

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 08:43 pm: Edit

If you need your senior year grades to boost your GPA, then I don't see how ED anywhere will benefit you. They get back to you with a response about your ED application way before your 1st semester senior grades come in. So, your grades would definitely help for RD but I don't know about ED.

You'd also have time to take the SAT one more time in order to get an ED in. The thing is I DON'T think you have time to retake the SAT1 and take 3 SAT II's. You would need TWO Saturdays for that, and I don't think there are 2 test dates left before ED deadlines.

By Barrons (Barrons) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 11:05 pm: Edit

Unless you want to get away going to UM out of state over UW would be silly.

By Chrisy (Chrisy) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 10:11 am: Edit

northwestern- superreach
uchicago- superreach
wustl- superreach
ucla- reach
u of wisconsin- madison- safety
u of m-aa- match
nyu- reach
bu- match
u of virginia- reach

i suggest you apply early to your reach schools, like nyu.

By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 10:19 am: Edit

even nyu is a reach? wow...
what makes it a reach? my gpa?

and... northwestern... no chance whatseover? even early decision?

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 10:23 am: Edit

Apply to Michigan in September. You'll most likely get in rolling by October, so you know you are going to a top school. THEN apply ED to Northwestern, I'd say you have a pretty decent shot. Worth the ED though. If you get deferred THEN apply to those other schools. Perhaps add an Emory in there.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 11:22 am: Edit

Kk19131 -
is NW U ok???

Slipper,
Your plan has merit. There's no problem with ED if you've already been accepted rolling, is there?

Stuckat410 -
some of us define matchces and reaches differently than others. I would call a university a match if you were in the top 25% of all categories (SAT M, SAT V, GPA, class rank, EC's etc.) *and* the acceptance rate was greater than, say 20%. If the acceptance rate was lower than 20% and you hit top quartile in everything - I would still call it a reach or quirky match, because the school has too many applicants.

Of course, statistically *lots* of people below the top quartile get in - its just a riskier proposition since you are an individual, not a population. A lot of it depends on your risk tolerance. If you go in with one absolute safety and seven reaches that's fine - as long as you are aware of the factors and love your safety!

By Kk19131 (Kk19131) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 11:26 am: Edit

Ohio_Mom: "Northwestern" is one word, thus we use "NU". Otherwise, the name of the school would be "North Western University" (We ignore how directions are abbreviated).

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 01:03 pm: Edit

"(We ignore how directions are abbreviated)."

Ah, I see. Northwestern from now on.

By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 03:35 pm: Edit

thanks for your help!

does anyone know when university of michigan's application comes out?
yeah, i think i'll go with slipper2002's plan...

so most of you are positive i'll be okay with university of michigan right?

thank you!

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 05:41 pm: Edit

Yeah, its totally okay to do that. I did it! And after that ED. Its totally fine, its a great loophole...

By Chrisy (Chrisy) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 05:55 pm: Edit

your verbal score: 630 is below their average score: 650 (600-700). your gpa is fine. you have a chance at northwestern especially if apply ed. if you apply ed you can increase your chances 22% (from 31% to 53%).

By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 05:58 pm: Edit

where have you guys been finding out my chances of admission percentages?

(like chrisy did, 31% to 53%? and is a 53% chance.. an okay chance for admissions?)

thank you-

By Chrisy (Chrisy) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 10:00 pm: Edit

college directories. i use the one from usnews. it's not your personal "chance of admission", but an average acceptance rate. 53% is a very good chance for admissions. if you apply early to nyu, it's 31% to 51% (increase of 20%), but you'll be competing with lots of in-staters. i'm a resident and every year, nyu takes about ten of our students (400 people/ class at my school).

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:47 am: Edit

Chrisy -
Tufts gives an admissions breakdown by SAT split and rank-in-class. It gives you an idea of how damaging a deficiency in one area of an application may be. The link is:

http://admissions.tufts.edu/admstat.htm

This for Tufts, of course, but it gives one a general feel of how the numbers fall. I wish they provided one more statistic - date of application receipt. Earlier apps would be more likely to show demonstrated interest, as well as reach the admissions committees earlier in the season when they might be more likely to be happier campers.

By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 11:02 am: Edit

thanks for all your help everyone.

couple further questions (i'm sorry :)
-when does umich-ann arbor application come out?
-i'm pretty much okay in getting in for umich?
-how is campus life, the people, etc. for umich?
(i've visited it.. but it seemed very.. dull? that's not the right word, but it's along those lines... it was nothing like uva...)
-speaking of uva, i'm definitely a reach for that?

thank you!

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 11:08 am: Edit

I believe UM comes out in late September, get it done quickly and get it out. UVA is totally a nicer atmosphere (at least in my eyes). I'd see what happens with NU, and if you don't get in I'd still apply to UVA, its never bad to have choices. I have a friend who chose UNC over UM in a minute because of the atmosphere reason.

By Barrons (Barrons) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 11:32 am: Edit

Uva is nice but not particularly lively. I find Ann Arbor to have a lot more to do than C'ville. The Corner gets old after a few weeks and downtown C'ville is nothing compared to AA.

By Jonw222 (Jonw222) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 01:17 pm: Edit

NYU is a reach because your class rank is outside the top 10% and your SAT is at a 1380. If either your SAT was higher *or* your GPA higher, NYU would be a match. The problem is that too many people apply to NYU and a lot of the other colleges you listed.

JW

By Chrisy (Chrisy) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 01:20 pm: Edit

hi ohio mom!
how are you? i'm sorry but i was geniunely confused by your post. please clarify.

By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 11:42 am: Edit

bump

By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 09:00 am: Edit

bump

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 04:53 pm: Edit

Chrisy,
I just wanted you to look at the Tufts breakdowns 'cause you're giving good advice on these boards and it provides another piece of analysis to work with. Looking at Tufts - lets say we have someone (we will use my son) with a 790 Verbal, a 670 Math, a class rank - unweighted - of 13%, and extenuating circumstantes - major elder care issues and a chaotic home life. If we look at the Tufts breakdown, 46% with Verbal scores of 750-800 were admitted, 21% with Math scores of 650-690 were admitted, and 16% of students with a class rank of 11-20 were admitted. Overall admit rate is 26%

What this says to me is that the class rank is the limiting factor - that my son should consider Tufts as a 16% admit possibility, and hope that the adcom that reviews his application is a) impressed with his verbal score and EC's and b) had to care for an elderly relative and is sympathetic and c) is having a good day and is reviewing the application early in the proccess.

Now, a 16% admit rate isn't that bad, but it's certainly a reach, not a match. The main point I'm trying to make (and you do this too, in your posts) is that if someone's resume is bumpy - its better for them to be aware of the problems - and look at the 16% admits for second decile as the limiting factor, not the 46% admit rate for the high verbal scores. From the folks that I have talked to, one of the worst things to have happen is for there to be no options come April - either one admit at a less-than-loved safety, or no acceptances at all. And this can easily happen if someone is overly optimistic about their chances - and ignores the 16% admit, seeing only the 46% admit rate.

By Barrons (Barrons) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

Take another look at UW

Turns out UW is a CEO mill

Karen Rivedal Wisconsin State Journal
July 31, 2004

Harvard University has nothing on UW-Madison when it comes to graduating the most chief executive officers of the country's biggest companies.

An accounting by Bloomberg Markets magazine showed UW-Madison and the Ivy League heavy-hitter tied for first place, with 15 such CEOs each. The total list included 236 schools where the current CEOs of companies on Standard & Poor's 500 Index reported getting their bachelor's degrees.

The index measures the size of the companies by their total market value.

"We're measuring up very well," said UW-Madison Business School Dean Michael Knetter on Friday. "This is a great credit to the kind of people who come to Wisconsin and the kind of training they get here."

Of course, comparing UW-Madison and Harvard is unfair to Harvard in one sense: UW-Madison has a clear numerical advantage, with 29,000 undergraduates compared to about 6,650 at Harvard.

But Knetter noted that UW-Madison also turned out more CEOs than several similarly sized universities on the list, including the University of Texas, the University of Michigan and Ohio State. Ohio State had five CEOs, Texas had nine, and the University of Michigan did not make the listing of 21 colleges with five or more CEOs.

"We're beating them all pretty handily," Knetter said.

Experts cited in the Bloomberg article speculated that public universities often produce more graduates who go on to become company leaders because public school kids are "scrappier" than those who attend elite institutions. Students from less advantaged backgrounds may have no other choice but to work hard to scramble up the corporate ladder, while those from rich families might have a company corner office waiting for them when they graduate regardless of what they achieve.

Knetter said that argument sounded right to him, but he also thought campus environment had a lot to do with it. UW-Madison is rich in socio-economic - though not racial - diversity, with students from international, rural, urban, rich and poor backgrounds.

"To be a great leader you have to understand people who come from many different perspectives and backgrounds," he said.

CEOs from Wisconsin, according to Bloomberg, include Thomas Falk, 46, who leads Kimberly-Clark Corp., the largest U.S. maker of disposable diapers; Carol Bartz, 55, leader of Autodesk Inc., maker of software for engineers and architects; and Lee Raymond, 65, CEO of Exxon Mobil Corp., the world's largest publicly traded oil company.

By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 10:45 pm: Edit

bump

By Chrisy (Chrisy) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 11:27 pm: Edit

ohio mom- i see your point now. thank you :)

By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

bump bump bump

By Go123 (Go123) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 12:14 am: Edit

a little bit back to a question in the beginning...do your senior grades reach colleges in time for the admissions decisions? I don't think you can send them in with your applications (correct me if I'm wrong because I probably am). I thought the mid-year report was just another way of making sure you don't slack off.

By Stuckat410 (Stuckat410) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:42 pm: Edit

bump

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:34 pm: Edit

Go123,
your hs will send your mid-year grades when they are available, and colleges will look at them - and your junior year most seriously. Another thing to think of - with the amount of wait-listing that is going on - is keeping your final senior grades high (no senioritis).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page