Chances at Top Ivies for Asian Male!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Chances at Top Ivies for Asian Male!
By Kitman15 (Kitman15) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 11:42 am: Edit

Hey all - I am a Japanese-American male living in northern New Jersey. I attend an extremely competitive, top of the state high school, looking to attend a top Ivy League School! I am trying to narrow down my school list. I would love to hear the opinion of a general forum such as this, on what schools I should be looking into, versus what schools I have been looking into.

GPA - 3.89, top 10% in the class (school does not rank) - Taken as many Honors and APs as given by our school
SAT I - 1500 first try, 1570 second try
SAT II - Writing - 800, Chemistry - 780, Math IIC - 800, October SAT IIs for Physics should be 750+
Courseload 3 APs Junior Year -- AP English Language and Composition, AP Computer Science A, AP US History.
Senior Coarseload 6 APs for this year - AP Statistics, AP European History, AP Calculus AB, AP Biology, AP Spanish, AP Literature

Extra Cirriculars
- Class President, Class of 2005 (President Junior Year as well)
- President of a Non-Profit Tutoring Organization for Elementary Students
- Vice President of the Amnesty International Club (High School Chapter)
- Vice President of Model United Nations Club
- Captain, Varsity Basketball Team (Varsity team since sophomore year)
- National Honors Society
- Volunteer @ Princeton University Hospital -- Assistant Volunteer Coordinator w/ 465 hours logged
- Volunteer for Rotary Club
- Selected as Boys State delegate, attended 2004 Jersey Boys State Conference
- Job - Tutor at Sylvan Learning Center, and Private Tutor in Math and Science
- National Merit Commendation (210+ PSAT)

Other
- Best Delegate, MUN - Rutgers Conference (2002 and 2003)
- Hardworker, personable...will have great recommendations and essays!

Looking into
- Harvard (legacy), Yale, UPenn (Wharton), Vanderbilt (legacy), Duke, Georgetown, Columbia, Cornell, John's Hopkins
- Hope to major in Economics/International Business, Political Science

Any help would be awesome -- are my choices too out of reach?

By Kitman15 (Kitman15) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 11:46 am: Edit

Thanks!

By 007 (007) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 11:51 am: Edit

WHAT SUCH *LOW* SCORES!!!!!!!!!
I'm sorry, but you're off to community college unless you get a 1600, and a 800 in Chem and physics

By Pinkearmufs (Pinkearmufs) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 11:59 am: Edit

I think your stats put you in the top bracket as far as scores go. But remember that ivy admissions are a bit random, even with such a highly qualified applicant as yourself. Make sure your essays are memorable. And Good luck!

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 03:20 pm: Edit

Lose Hopkins, Vandy, and Cornell, add Dartmouth and Princeton. Hopkins isn't a very good quality of life experience, nor is Cornell. Dartmouth and Princeton have great social and quality of life and are great schools. At least check them out

By 007 (007) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 04:13 pm: Edit

ok seriously, u know and we all know you are a great applicant, so plz dont ask for ur chances. Even though ur asian male, what wil eventually decide where you end up is ur personal statement

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 04:41 pm: Edit

I would add Northwestern, MIT, Princeton, Penn, Cal-Berkeley, Michigan-Ann Arbor and Stanford to the schools you are considering. Best of luck to you.

By Angel_Handsome (Angel_Handsome) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 11:10 pm: Edit

Here comes Mr. Dartmouth again (Slipper2002). I don't know what kinda grudge he has against cornell. Cornell has no life huh? Why dont you check out with MTV who they rated as the best campus parties few years ago. You really make allegations at schools like JHU, Vandy and Cornell without even knowing anything about them and then you start singing Dartmouth-Dartmouth. If you love Dartmouth then its ok but you dont have to bash either of those schools saying that there is no campus life there. You didnt even ask the guy what kinda campus life he is looking for.

By Malicemizer9 (Malicemizer9) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 01:00 pm: Edit

Slipper is a Dartmouth troll, which I don't mind, except he insists on bashing Cornell. I guess, since slipper has attended Cornell and experienced it first-hand, he really has the right to put it down. RIGHT slipper?

Actually, no. Good job slipper, you're making the graduates of a great school like Dartmouth look that much better. (/sarcasm)

By Benjamin (Benjamin) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 01:59 pm: Edit

really, Slipper...I'll be the Vandy representative. How in the world would you know? You are just blindy dismissing quality schools without any reason.

By Angel_Handsome (Angel_Handsome) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 05:15 pm: Edit

NOPE!!
Slipper2002 did not attend Cornell at all!! i dont even think he has seen the campus. I think he transfered from Brown or Columbia to Dartmouth and then went to Columbia for Grad school. He had this information on his profile before but now he removed it.
Me and Slipper had this conversation before too. He just keeps giving highly biased information to people which i really hate and i am pretty sure everyone else too.

By Malicemizer9 (Malicemizer9) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 07:59 pm: Edit

I know, I was being sarcastic, saying that Slipper had attended cornell.

Slipper just wants you to apply to dartmouth, so the selectivity will go up as well as the endowment.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 12:35 pm: Edit

Vandy is great. I just think you are a little above the average candidate there, it is probably a good safety for you.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 09:58 pm: Edit

dude...Vasant Natarajan...I KNOW ITS YOU.

1. You're Indian, not Japanese
2. James figured it out in like 3 seconds

LOL whatever

ANYways...you have some NIICE stats...and Dartmouth really is better than cornell

By Angel_Handsome (Angel_Handsome) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 11:03 pm: Edit

LOL! dude Vancat you keep saying that to yourself. maybe u'll feel better about Dartmouth that way.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 12:28 pm: Edit

Hey Cornell people -

Eat these REAL stats. Cornell has 12,000 UG and can only pull these numbers at the top law schools, the trend continues on most other top grad school sites. Dartmouth has 4000 UG, with only 6% going to law school vs. 8% for Cornell. You do the math. It doesn't look good to me...

http://www.law.harvard.edu/admissions/jd/colleges.php

http://www.yale.edu/bulletin/html2002/law/students.html

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 12:30 pm: Edit

I do confess that Dartmouth does better at Yale than Harvard...

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 01:42 pm: Edit

Slipper, you are not looking at this very analytically. I would have expected Dartmouth to teach you to look deeper and formulate better.

Close to 60% of Cornell's students major in the following fields:

Engineering
Biological and Physical Sciences
Hotel Management
Agriculture
Business.

None of those majors are really known to feed into Law Schools. Most of those graduates end up working or going to Medical school, Engineering graduate programs or PhD programs.

Only 35% (4,000 students) of Cornell students major in the Social Sciences, Humanities and Labor Relations. Those are the majors that feed into Law Schools.

At Dartmouth, 75% (3,000) of the students major in Social Sciences and the Humanities. Those are the type of people who are likely to apply to Law School.

Another thing you are not taking into account is that Cornell has an excellent Law school (top 10 nationally) of its own and many Cornell students who actually get into Yale and Harvard actually decide to stay on at Cornell to study Law. Last time I checked, Dartmouth did not have a Law School of its own.

In short, I would say that the same number of students apply to Law school from Cornell and Dartmouth every year. I don't have the exact number, but I am willing to bet on it. And I am willing to bet that the success rate for Cornell students getting into elite programs such as Yale and Harvard law is not any worse or better than Dartmouth's.

Your attempts to discredit Cornell and Johns Hopkins are laughable. They are rated among the top 10 universities in the country by academics and employers.

As for quality of life, you may have liked Hanover, but most people who visit it (including myself) find it to be way too rural, way too small and way too secluded. Don't get me wrong by the way. Although I went to Cornell for my graduate studies, I really have no love for the school. I fully agree that its quality of life is not that great. Nor is Johns Hopkins' quality of life. And guess what, nor is Dartmouth's. Those three schools unfortunately have serious extremes in terms of college environments. Cornell is seriously tough, Johns Hopkins is seriously academic and Dartmouth is serious secluded and boring. None of those qualities make those schools great places to go to school.

By Chatterjoy87 (Chatterjoy87) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 02:13 pm: Edit

um...but Dartmouth is just a college anyways, so it couldn't have a law school

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 02:14 pm: Edit

Thank you for completely affirming the point I have been making on this board all along. For Engineering/ specialty schools/ certain sciences, Cornell IS great. But for "Humanities and other social sciences", stats that are not as appreciated by USNEWS subjective "Academic" rankings, Dartmouth/ LACS are better.

And your calculations are wrong because we do have the numbers applying, 6% and 8%. Your assumption is that since 75% of Dartmouth grads are humanities and social sciences, roughly the same apply as Cornell. That is wrong. We DO have the numbers. I acknowledge that looking at Cornell Law's numbers might tilt the discussion. Good point.

Finally, I don't consider four huge parties every weekend night with 4000 of your best friends very boring.

Anyway, I am not saying that JHU or Cornell are not top schools. Of course they are. My only point is that different schools have different strengths, and that "big state school" or graduate attributed prestige does not make a school a universally better undergrad institution. This is something Cornell, JHU, etc fans have trouble admitting.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 02:41 pm: Edit

Well, Slipper, you know, when professors rate an undegraduate insitution, they are not rating it according to its graduate programs, they are rating it according to the quality of their students that come to their graduate programs from those undergraduate programs they are rating. Nobody is in a better position to judge an undergraduate education than a professor of a graduate school.

Secondly, Engineering and the Sciences are very important subjects. I don't see how a school having large Engineering and Science departments hurts in any way or how it would take away from the social sciences, humanities and the arts. But the fact remains, Cornell is as good at preparing students for Law school as Dartmouth. If a student wants to go to Law school, going to Cornell for her/his undergraduate studies will be as beneficial as going to Dartmouth.

And I simply don't understand how you can measure the quality of an education. I will hold a Michigan or Cornell degree up against a Dartmouth degree any day. ANY DAY. I competed with Dartmouth grads at Cornell and we were all pretty even.

And one other things Slipper, if partying with 4,000 friends is your only idea of a fun time, great. What I want to know is how is that different from what happens at Cornell? But when all is said and done, that is all one can do at Dartmouth and Cornell. At a school like Michigan, you can party with the best of them if you so please. But you can also go to the best Hockey and Football games in America. You can walk around dozens of quaint streets laced with hundreds of bookstores, cafes, restaurants and shops. You can hop in a car and drive 30 minutes and have access to major nighclubs, worldclass restaurants, major shopping malls etc... You can meet young professionals who work for companies like Ford or Pfizer and live right next door and go to the same bars and clubs. The list of things you can do in a real college town is unlimited.

By Angel_Handsome (Angel_Handsome) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 03:38 pm: Edit

Uh Slipper2002 and Alexandre I didn't really mean to start a debate here. I just didnt want anyone to bash an institution just to make their alma mater seem good.
Slipper2002 I am an Indian too and to some extent i understand ur elitism but i doubt it that an institution like Dartmouth would teach you to bash your peer institutions. Are you measuring Dartmouth's quality by just as a Law school feeder? I think Dartmouth is much more than that. If you think Dartmouth is extremely good in everything you think it is, then me and im sure everybody else including the poster(Kitman15) would like to hear, but not on the expense of bashing other world class institution (unless you really experienced the college you're bashing).
Now if you still want to bash other colleges and boast your Dartmouth elitism then go ahead I just dont have enough reasoning left for you. Besides, we still have to follow our fundamental rights of expression to some extent.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 03:49 pm: Edit

I am not trying to bash Cornell. What got me started was all of this "academic peer ranking" stuff, where people try to raise their institutions based on grad school prestige or sciences reputation. These are all great schools, its just one set of criteria cannot be effective in judging all aspects of an institution.

Also, I'm not Indian...

By Angel_Handsome (Angel_Handsome) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 03:58 pm: Edit

Oh your profile gives out your real name(or does it?) and i think the name is indian, but neways i maybe mistaken.
Uhm since we all are back on track, lets get to the topic again. Anybody wants to discuss more about the initial topic of the board?
:)

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 04:12 pm: Edit

haha yeah. WAY off topic

By Quynh2007 (Quynh2007) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 11:30 pm: Edit

just my 2 cents

all but two cornell degrees given out has been earned. The first honorary degree was given to one of the founders, andrew white, the last honorary degree was given to david starr jordan, the FIRST president of Stanford University.

How many other schools can make a similar claim?

By Boo12345 (Boo12345) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:13 am: Edit

dude! it IS you Vasant!

first of all, what Vancat said, you're Indian not Japanese.

and second, why are you using Ankit's xanga name?

By Vancat (Vancat) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:23 am: Edit

Wait, Boo are you Shelby???

By Quynh2007 (Quynh2007) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:37 am: Edit

gah, i can't edit my post, i meant to say ezra cornell (little education) instead of Andrew White. oops.

By Boo12345 (Boo12345) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 11:01 am: Edit

who's Shelby?

By Angel_Handsome (Angel_Handsome) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 01:55 pm: Edit

Uh Slipper2002...just one question...i just wish u wouldnt lie that ur not indian. i wonder what kind of a guy would try to hide his own ethnicity or would be ashamed of his own origin. You also removed your name when i mentioned it. Did Dartmouth teach you that? i guess not.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Dude,

I am 1/4 Indian and the rest is Columbian. I don't feel like that is important to this board though, and I am very proud of my mixed ethnicity. I removed my name since I like staying on the down low with this. Especially with nosy people like you around.

By Angel_Handsome (Angel_Handsome) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 02:16 pm: Edit

nosy..huh? i just couldnt believe it when u said your not indian kinda like denying the fact and being indian myself i got a little aggravated but whatever ....i really dont care now.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page