Harvard

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Harvard
By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 04:06 pm: Edit

I know that it's all subjective... but I can use all the feedback I can get.

SAT I: 1530
Verbal: 780
Math: 750
SAT II:
Writing: 800
Math 2C: 790
US History: 750
Biology (M): 740

GPA:
9th: 4.066 (no APs)
10th: 4.1 (no APs)
11th: 4.84 (6 APs)

Senior Classes:
AP English Literature
AP Physics
American Government
World Religions
AP Calc BC
AP German V
Sculpture

Extracurricular:
Member of LACC (Los Angeles Childrens' Chorus) with various performances with the L.A. Philharmonic and the L.A. Opera, in-country and out-of-country tours, and various festivals
3 years member of Madrigal Singers at School
Gumdo (kind of sword-fighting, not fencing)
10 years Piano
5 years Art (drawing, painting etc.)
3 years Voice

Extra School Activites:
PawPrint Staff Writer, 1 year
Member of the Roots and Shoots Club
3 years Spring Musical
2 years Acting
1 year Tap Dancing
1 year Drawing and Painting
4 years Enameling
3 years Tennis Team

Work Experience:
Summer Internship at Law Office
"Angel" in L.A. Opera's 'La Damnation de Faust'
3 years TA at SummerSchool (for Science, Enameling, Drawing and Painting, Summer Sports)

Community Service:
2 Years tutoring at Hillsides Home for CHildren
Volunteering at Church
Various little fundraisers etc.

Are there any Harvard students/alumni here that can tell me about the Humanities/Social Sociences Dpts. at Harvard?

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 06:19 pm: Edit

bump

i also noticed that some people were putting some of their background information... so:

I'm a Korean-American female from California (first generation). Currently 17 years old... and I'm not sure what else is relevant... I have a cousin that goes to Harvard but those connections don't mean anything...

*edit*

I also forgot to add my AP scores (whoops)

US History- 5
English Language- 5
Calculus AB- 5
German IV Language- 3
Biology- 5
French IV Language- 4

By Chrisy (Chrisy) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 06:24 pm: Edit

i think most people would agree that you have a good chance but there's no guarantee. are there any other schools you're interested in?

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 06:40 pm: Edit

I'm vacillating (these would be my TOP choices if the world was perfect; I am in no way saying that I would only go to these schools or anything) between Stanford and Harvard for first choice... it depends mostly on two things that I'm still not sure about:

1) The social atmosphere (which I have heard is better at Stanford)
and
2) The Social Sciences/Humanities Department (which I think is better at Harvard??)

By Julians (Julians) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:00 am: Edit

The Humanities are probably better at Harvard.

But! You probably wouldn't notice much of a difference, and might even have better chances at Stanford, because more math/science people apply there.

By Jonw222 (Jonw222) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:16 am: Edit

As I usually say with applicants with stats like yourself:

Roll the dice and take your chances.

I put the odds at even money on your being accepted.

JW

By Jonw222 (Jonw222) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:16 am: Edit

As I usually say with applicants with stats like yourself:

Roll the dice and take your chances.

I put the odds at even money on your being accepted.

JW

By Skiowad (Skiowad) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:43 am: Edit

As good as they'll get. Good luck. Essays and recs will make or break you.

hmmm...French AND German? thats tough.

Do you have any special awards? national or international level? any state awards would help too.

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 11:01 am: Edit

I've gotten the National German Award twice, have always gotten a "Presidential Award" on the AATG test (American Association of Teachers of German).

I was a TASP (Telluride Association Summer Program) Finalist and Alternate (they pick 68-70 kids from the US based on PSAT scores, essays, application, and interview) for a rigorous summer program...

I received the Music Award (but that was only from my school)

I was nominated for (and maybe accepted??) the Cum Laude Society by my school with 7 other students in my grade... but my school doesn't rank so I'm not exactly sure where I stand... probably in the top 5 or 6, though I'm REALLY not willing to bet anything on that (my school is both tiny and extremely competitive).

Also (though it isn't really my doing), my highschool is pretty well-respected with colleges, which I heard does give a little leverage? I think about 7% of our graduating class went to Harvard (though 10% were accepted, I believe) nearly all Early Decision/Action, and probably a third went to some kind of Ivy League or Stanford.

Skiowad: yeah, and then I dropped French for this year which turned out to be pretty retarded since I tested better in French than in German...

By Julians (Julians) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 11:36 am: Edit

I'm still bitter about my heartless TASP rejection letter... seriously, I would say apply early to Stanford, based on what seems to be important to you and also, I think it's your best bet.

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 02:18 pm: Edit

thanks

By Leely888 (Leely888) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 02:22 pm: Edit

I think you have a good chance for Harvard EA, I heard it is easier to get in Harvard EA than Stanford EA because more ppl apply to Stanford for SCEA.

By 1214 (1214) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 03:07 pm: Edit

With your interested in the Humanities and foresee a career in Law, Yale would definitely be a good option. To me, it would suit you better than Stanford and Harvard. IMO, of course. :-). If I were u, I would apply Yale EA and wait for other accpetances from S and H.

By 1214 (1214) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 03:07 pm: Edit

With your interested in the Humanities and foresee a career in Law, Yale would definitely be a good option. To me, it would suit you better than Stanford and Harvard. IMO, of course. :-). If I were u, I would apply Yale EA and wait for other accpetances from S and H.

By Leely888 (Leely888) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 03:41 pm: Edit

yeah so true, I agree w/ 1214

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 11:42 am: Edit

hmm... I'm not sure why I never really considered Yale.. I probably should since it has the best law department (though that's for graduate school), or at least it did last year.

By Navygrl (Navygrl) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 08:10 pm: Edit

SAT: 760M 730V
ACT: 31
Class Rank: 5/385
3.9uw 4.5w
Pres. Student Govt.: Sophomore, Junior
Pres. Student Body: Senior Elect
Pres. National Honor Society
Physics & Chemistry Awards
Capt. Lacrosse: Sophomore, Junior
Track: Freshman, Sophomore, Junior
Girls State
Karate: Black Belt
Loads of Community Service
Taking SATIIs this year

I'm taking the SAT again in October in hopes to bring it up to over 1500. I have lots of awards and community service, too much to post on here. You all don't want to see all that anyway. I will have 5 APs (maybe 6) at graduation, 3 4s so far. I'm also hoping to be accepted EA and receive a NROTC scholarship.

By Navygrl (Navygrl) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 11:34 am: Edit

Please!

By Dostoyevsky (Dostoyevsky) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 01:21 pm: Edit

navygrl - ur chances are as good as most others on here (minorities, atheletes, legacies, children of famous/rich people, and kids nationally recognized in math competitions or the like have an advantage on almost ny1)

By Leely888 (Leely888) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 01:41 pm: Edit

What's NROTC scholarship? Is that the navy thing?

Oliviakang: Yale is good for law for undergrad too, its political science and history major are one of the best in the nation

By Navygrl (Navygrl) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 03:51 pm: Edit

Leely888, Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps, definitely Navy!

Thanks for the tip on Yale. I'm applying there also.

By Navygrl (Navygrl) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 03:52 pm: Edit

Forgot to throw in the Debate Team for 3 years and Capt. for 2.

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

I think the Yale tip was for me... thanks Leely, Yale did send me an application booklet that I still have to look at... I guess I was just enamored by the Harvard name :-D and it's better first impression; Yale was #1 Law School this year wasn't it?

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 07:45 pm: Edit

Oliviakang, you`re in. I hope I get in too and then I can rub your big shiny brain.

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 09:34 pm: Edit

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

that was the funniest thing I've heard all day~ I only hope that the admission crew hopes the same way... and it's nice to know that my brain is shiny ;)

-liv

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

hey man, just looked at your profile and you're not doing so bad either ;) damn math score

By Leely888 (Leely888) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:13 am: Edit

yeah as far as now, Yale is ranked #1 for law

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 07:37 pm: Edit

well, that's definitely something to keep in mind; it's kind of funny because all of the sudden people keep bringing up Yale to me even though it was almost never mentione before (don't know why since it's obviously a great school)... a friend's mom recently told me I should go because of the great A Capella groups (she saw something about them on 60 minutes and thought of me)~

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 07:53 pm: Edit

I also forgot (funny how I keep doing that):

I am a co-president of the German Club (if anyone still reads this far down or this thread at all)

By Leely888 (Leely888) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 09:17 am: Edit

I never considered some good schools before until someone suddenly introduced them to me =)
just go and search around online and see

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 04:55 pm: Edit

does the school you go to make any difference? (Highschool, I mean)

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 05:11 pm: Edit

saw that someone else's chances post included their PSAT score too...

PSAT: 236/240

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page