TALK SMACK - about these schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: TALK SMACK - about these schools
By Shaka (Shaka) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

Hey guys, im tryin to narrow down my final list. I am having problems choosing...so please take a look at this list and choose 1 or 2 schools you dislike the most and why.

(my stats are in my profile)

Safeties
Baruch(CUNY)
Boston U

Matches
Emory
Babson
Urbana-Champaign
Tulane
UMich
Carnegie Mellon
Lehigh
Boston C

Reaches
Wharton(ED)
UVA
NYU
Cornell
Wash U

By Danoeire (Danoeire) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

Baruch(CUNY) -not a good campus, not a good reputation
Boston U-lots of spoiled little rich white kids, campus is stretched out

Emory- don't know
Babson- only known for entrepeneurship (spelling?), not for much else
Urbana-Champaign- a lot of instate kids, again not very known
Tulane - HUGE party school
UMich- HUGE SCHOOL, bad weather
Carnegie Mellon- my friend says its terrible, Pittsburgh sucks
Lehigh - dont know
Boston C - very religious, party/sport- oriented

Wharton(ED) - super hard to get into
UVA - out of state=super hard to get into
NYU - NO campus, Olsen twins
Cornell- middle of frickin nowhere, the loser ivy
Wash U - in the midwest

there ya go

By Enarang (Enarang) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 05:46 pm: Edit

Babson is mainly known for entrepreneurship but the other programs are pretty good. The campus is very very nice.

Other then that Danoeire you hit the spot on every school.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 05:52 pm: Edit

Michigan and Emory are more selective than NYU and about as selective as Cornell and Wash U. All 5 schools mentioned above are matches for you.

According to overall quality of education and life...

Great:
Michigan and UVA.

Good but not great:
Penn, Cornell, Wash U.. Illinois-Urbana, Emory.

Not good but not bad:
BC, Tulane, NYU, CMU

FORGEABOUTIT!!!
BU, Lehigh, Baruch

So, this is how I would go about it:

Reaches:
Wharton and UVA

Matches:
Michigan, Cornell, Wash. U, Emory and NYU

Safeties:
Illinois-Urabana Champaign and Tulane

So you are down to 9 universities.

I would drop Baruch, BU, Lehigh, Babson and CMU.

By Cornellhopeful (Cornellhopeful) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 05:59 pm: Edit

Cornell simply is not a match for anyone. It may have the highest overall acceptance rate(note: overall. Only Columbia, Penn, and Cornell have more than one undergrad school) in the Ivy League, but Cornell also gets over 20,000 applicants. Also it depends on which school you're applying to. This year the overall acceptance rate was 28%. If you're applying to AEM, it's even harder to get in. Good luck.

By Enarang (Enarang) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 06:00 pm: Edit

Shaka I would say keep Babson and CMU.

That is because if you wanted some merit scholarships you may be able to get a large amount or if your lucky a full ride at some of these places that are safeties for you.

Yeah I'd say Alexandre made a good list.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Wharton is the best school on the face of the earth...

By Hammertime (Hammertime) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 09:21 pm: Edit

Alexandre....Michigan is definitely not as selective as Cornell. It is an excellent school, but just in terms of numbers, it's not quite at Cornell's level.

By Chapter322 (Chapter322) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 11:00 pm: Edit

Emory: There are many skinny brunettes with capri pants and cell phones. People get really cliquish as the year progresses.

Cornell: Some complain that their classmates are “cut-throat,” especially in the hard sciences, and that engineering students “are hard to get along with.”

Wharton: For a significant portion of the Penn population, fashion savvy and “designer labels” seem to be social denominators.

Tulane: Underrated. Watch out for filthy rich kids toting lawyers. Don't expect to get into many deep intellectual discussions. A good percentage of the students here could drop out of college(and do!) and still have more money than many Tier 1 college grads.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 12:07 am: Edit

I don't know much about a bunch of these schools, but here goes:

Boston U: Huge, 30,000 students. Recent article in The Boston Globe Magazine about it, not very favourable light. Not much of a campus, very, very expensive, and will reject students whom they believe will not attend.

Babson - someone complained about it's location. Now, Wellesley is a beautiful town, with Wellesley College and Mass Bay CC there as well, but there's nothing to do, and it's not easy to get into Boston. Car almost required. Also, if you don't want to do business, look to a liberal arts school or something else.

Tulane - could anyone comment on the crime in Louisiana? I've heard that it's quite bad.

Lehigh - I've heard rumours of it being a huge party school.

Boston C - hum. Large for liberal arts (10,000 kids), lots of Boston Irish Catholic. Lots. It's the ultimate Boston "club," which can be a good thing or a bad thing. Sports there are huge. Really depends on what you want out of a school; you could love it or hate it.

UVA - Charlottesville - not located near much of any civilization. Lovely area though.

NYU - I might get attacked for this, but here goes. Five years ago, NYU would have been your safety. Not hard to get into (unless you are talking about Stern). It's a "hot" school right now, but no where near the league of Cornell, UVA, et al. Also, not much of a campus.

Cornell - depends on how you feel about the location. Many people aren't fans of the isolation and the cold. Also, it's a fairly large school. Rumoured to be quite competitive, not a very healthy atmosphere.

Wash U - similar complaint as NYU. Their reputations are very new, and only really strong among people of your age group. When you graduate and get interviews by old fogies like me (I'm 23), we're going to have no idea that getting in there was hard. I remember telling a friend that WUSTL was #9, and she just laughed. It was def. a safety school before it manuevered its way up the rankings. In short, have a good reason for going there besides USNews, such as certain programmes, study abroad opportunities, or whatever; don't do it for the USNews rankings. It's kind of the poster school for manipulation of the rankings and admissions. If you saw these boards during April, you would see a huge amount of waitlists - a good way to determine who goes, who doesn't, and to reduce the acceptance rate. I'm sure that you can get a good education there, but keep in mind that people five or six years older than you (and almost everyone older than that) just do not consider WUSTL to be excellent.

By Shaka (Shaka) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 12:50 am: Edit

quote from Chapter322 "Emory: There are many skinny brunettes with capri pants and cell phones. People get really cliquish as the year progresses. "

LOL dude...that's a PLUS lol...

but anyways, from what i hear from you guys, i think i will probably drop Tulane...

Alexandre, your list for me is good, but I can't help to think that it's a little too risky, since the schools may be a bit harder to get into than the list shows?

Anyways, KEEP GOING, i am sure others will find this thread helpful as well.

By Piman3141 (Piman3141) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 12:55 am: Edit

Definitely consider CMU if youre interested in math/science. Nice campus, though Pittsburgh is a kind of trashy, "industrial" city. Also, the student life is supposed to be pretty boring. But if youre Asian, and you dont like to party, you should be right at home.

(I didnt bash on other schools, because I know absolutely nothing about them).

By Shaka (Shaka) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 12:59 am: Edit

well, to outline my interests in regards to colleges:

1. any campus will do, any weather will do, since I moved so many times, everywhere's the same for me.

2. Party schools are not my type. I do like to have fun wit friends but no binge drinkin for me, thx

3. I am looking for strong undergrad *BUSINESS* programs

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 01:09 am: Edit

Actually, Michigan is pretty much as selective as Cornell when you look at corresponding colleges, especially for out of staters. Overall, Michigan is less selective than Cornell, but nut by much...and there are several factors to consider. Remember that 15% of Michigan's student body belongs to non-academic departments like Art, Music, Nursing, Kinesiology etc... or are athletes. Those students are highly gifted at what they do, but their academic skills are completely different from the 80% who go into Arts and Sciences, Business, Engineering and Pharmacy. Without those "non-academic" programs, the acceptance rate at Michigan drops from 50% to 40%, the mean SAT score jumps from 1320 to 1360 and the rate of students who graduate at the top 10% of their high school class jumps from an already high 87% to 93%. That that's for all the students, including in-staters.

If you look at out of state applicants for the College of Arts and Sciences and the school of Engineering (freshmen cannot enroll into the colleges of Business and Pharmacy so they usually enroll into the College of Arts and Sciences), the acceptance rate drops significantly to 31%, with a mean SAT score of 1420 and mean GPA of 4.0.

In state applicants are subject to a different set of rules. Roughly 60% of the in-staters who apply to the college of Arts and Science and the School of Engineering are accepted. But you still have to be an excellent student to get into Michigan as an in-stater. An in-state student with an unweighted GPA under 3.6 (with a tough course load) and/or an ACT score under 26 or SAT score under 1200 has almost not chance of getting in.

Cornell, like Michigan, has several departments that are not as academically inclined, such as the schools of Human Ecology, Agriculture and Hotel Management. However, those schools are #1 in the country and as such, still attract a huge pool of applicants to make them highly selective.

But don't make the mistake that many people make. Getting into Michigan is pretty difficult. An out of state applicant with less than a 3.8 GPA and less than 1300 on his or her SAT has virtually no chance of getting into the school of Engineering or the college of arts and sciences.

By Chapter322 (Chapter322) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 01:17 am: Edit

It doesn't matter if the college is a Tulane(#1 party school), no one will force you to binge drink, although the ability to escape from academic stress is always there. Which is really a plus to some people....

Maybe you should make an Anti Talk Smack thread for your choice schools. There are many good things to be said about the schools you listed. You shouldn't decide on the bad things alone.

By Chapter322 (Chapter322) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 01:26 am: Edit

Ariesathena... I have lived in Louisiana my entire life. The crime is not as bad as people who have barely visited New Orleans make it sound. New Orleans is like ying & yang. Tulane is on the good side and rarely do the two sides meet.

The school reminds me of Vanderbilt and the "Vandy Bubble." It's a world away from most criminal operations that take place in the ghetto parts of New Orleans. I don't believe that the surrounding residents would line the streets with their Porche's and Benz's so nonchalantly if it wasn't.

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 01:53 am: Edit

" It's a "hot" school right now, but no where near the league of Cornell, UVA, et "

In terms of raw numbers, nyu is actually just as if not slightly more selective than cornell (aprox 10-15,000 more applicants, yet same sat range and acceptance % is very close)

if you want to rank the schools in terms of overall academic quality the list would go like this:

Cornell/Penn
Wash U
UVA
UMich
Emory
Carnegie Mellon
NYU
Lehigh/Boston College
Illinois/Boston U/Tulane
Babson
Baruch

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 03:14 am: Edit

Actually, from an academic excellence point of view, your rankings are off. According to the USNWR academic reputation and quality rating, those schools above are ranked as follows:

Cornell and Michigan get academic reputation scores of 4.6/5.0 (they are tied with Columbia and Johns Hopkins at #9 nationally)

Penn gets an academic reputation score of 4.5 (tied with Duke at #13 nationally)

UVA receives an academic reputation score of 4.4 (tied with Brown and Dartmouth at #15 nationally)

Carnegie Mellon and Washington University are next, with academic reputation scores of 4.2 (tied with Rice and UNC-Chapel Hill at #21 nationally)

Then Emory and Illinois get academic reputation scores of 4.1 (tied with Georgetown and UT-Austin at #25 nationally).

BC and NYU are next.

Then you have BU, Tulane and Lehigh.

Finally, you have the remaining ones.

But this does not really matter, since Shaka wants to know about the top BUSINESS schools at the undergraduate level. In other words, Cornell is OUT. Cornell only has Business as a graduate program.

Here is how I would rank the business schools of the schools above:

#1 Wharton
#2 Michigan
#3 CMU, NYU and UVA (UVA is the best overall university, but NYU may be the best place of the three to study business)
#6 Emory, Illinois, Washington University, Boston College, Boston University, Babson, Tulane (you really can't go wrong with this group...it just depends on your preference).

By Haithman (Haithman) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 04:07 am: Edit

Which type of business, finance? If you want a financial job, look at my info for a list of schools.
-Wharton, Mich, and NYU are best for finance.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 04:21 am: Edit

Haitham, dude...drop Yale and add MIT and Stanford. Yale is located in New Haven, a real dump! And don't forget Chicago man.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 04:31 am: Edit

ahh I forgot Chicago on my list?! crap
I dont really like MIT btw..

By Shaka (Shaka) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 08:36 am: Edit

Ya, i have to agree with alexandre about yale being in a •••• town...i used to live near there. It's like the center of all the drug dealin.

Besides, I wouldnt get in either lol

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 09:46 am: Edit

Chapter 322 I think underestimates the college crowd at Tulane, although he will be among it! There will be lots of intellectual stimulation for those who wish to find it. However, he is right that some kids won't make it. The academics are extreme and if partying is allowed to take over, it will. The school had over 17,000 applications this year, and the incoming freshman class is reported to have the highest qualifications yet. Chapter 322 is right about one thing, you're not required to drink and party, and there will be lots of kids there who don't party down all of the time.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 09:46 am: Edit

Forget Cornell and add Dartmouth and Duke. Better academic experience (outside of engineering), better social life, better quality of life, better reputations. You see alot of Duke and Dartmouth alums in business and econ, especially at the top b-schools. I know at Columbia for example there about as many people from Dartmouth and Duke than cornell, amazing since both are roughly 1/3 to 1/4 the size.

By Tinwhisker (Tinwhisker) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:16 am: Edit

"I know at Columbia for example there about as many people from Dartmouth and Duke than cornell, amazing since both are roughly 1/3 to 1/4 the size."

Not true.
http://www3.gsb.columbia.edu/botline/spring02/0124/

This lists the top ten institutions (a little down the page) I believe in order. Duke doesn't make the top ten. Cornell is second to Penn (all those Wharton kids).

By Chapter322 (Chapter322) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:47 am: Edit

LOL. I was trying to be unbiased Along. We both know that I could say more than enough great things about Tulane to outway my previous comments. I already love it and I can not wait to arrive there on the 21st!

This is still a "talk smack" thread, so I guess I'll talk more smack about the other schools now (lol):

NYU: If students have any complaints, it is that their peers are sometimes apathetic about campus life, and “as a result, school spirit is negligible.”

BU: There are, of course, a few cliques on campus composed of students who obviously skipped the day in preschool when they taught ‘How to Get Along With Others and Not Be a Eurotrashy Snot.'

UVa: UVA is very segregated. Different ethnic groups do not mix very much, and the Greek population is an entity unto itself. It’s the perfect school for frat boys who like to wear Gucci shoes and sorority girls who dig Versace.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:52 am: Edit

Slipper has a real issue with Cornell. For some reason. He seems to think that Dartmouth is better than Cornell in all Academics save Engineering. As if Dartmouth was better than Cornell in Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science, English or History. Not to mention schools like Hotel Management, Industrial and Labor Relations etc...

And it does not matter anyway, since Shaka only wants undergraduate Business programs. Duke and Dartmouth, like Cornell, do not have undergradaute Business programs.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:56 am: Edit

Nice try Tinwhisker, but that is the J-term accelerated program. Their admissions viewbook for the overall class shows exactly what I said. Also, note that Dartmouth IS there in the top ten with Cornell. And its NOT in order, look how Yale is listed twice.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:58 am: Edit

You're right. I would say that the top UG Business Programs are:

Wharton, Berkeley/ U Michigan, NYU

By Chapter322 (Chapter322) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:59 am: Edit

Carnegie Mellon: Students here would be considered very friendly if they weren’t so reserved. You’ll find that the person who sits next to you in lecture is always really nice if either of you ever overcomes your shyness enough to say hello. Sounds boring.

UMich: There’s some division according to discipline—English majors hang out with English majors and the like. This could become a problem later on.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 12:11 pm: Edit

Its not better "ranked" in those sciences of course, but the overall UG experience is better. This is much more a LAC vs. Big college argument if anything. Anyway, a discussion for a different board.

By Tinwhisker (Tinwhisker) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 12:51 pm: Edit

"Their admissions viewbook for the overall class shows exactly what I said. "

Maybe you'd like to show a link to it, instead of just stating it without proof, cause it's not too easy to find this kind of information on-line.

Regardless, your consistent Cornell bashing is getting pretty old. Unless you're a Cornell student, you have no business commenting on the academic experience, social life, or quality of life. And if you are a Cornell student, you're obviously not a good fit for the school. But some of us are.

To the OP: I'd recommend that you cut out one reach, and half of your matches, and perhaps one of your safties. All your reaches will provide a good business undergrad, so just cut out the one you dislike the most.

By Cornellhopeful (Cornellhopeful) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 01:14 pm: Edit

http://business.aem.cornell.edu/
Cornell University Undergraduate Business Program

They have departments in finance, Management,Marketing,Applied Economics,Analytical Methods
Entrepreneurship,Accounting ,Information Management and Technology

It's a relatively new program, and it's accredited w/ the AACSB. It has an acceptance rate of 19%, w/ a yield of 73%. About 700 students apply for 100 places, so it's a small program.

By Shaka (Shaka) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

From what you guys said so far, I have been convinced to take off 2 schools...1 from safeties (baruch), one from match (tulane).

Some schools are DEFINITELY staying on my list, so I would like it if we can concentrate more on talkin smack about these following schools?

Emory
Urbana-Champaign
Carnegie Mellon
Lehigh
Boston College
Cornell
Wash U

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 06:28 pm: Edit

why did u take off uva and nyu?

..aside from wharton, they were probably the best business programs on your list

you should also consider mit-sloan (#2 program in the nation)

By Shaka (Shaka) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 06:32 pm: Edit

NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :-D

that list is for SMACK TALKING...Wharton..UVA are the schools are i DEFINITELY WILL apply to

So...i hope to get some smack talkin bout these other schools

By Calidan (Calidan) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 07:59 pm: Edit

Emory- Good school, and Atlanta is fun. You either love the south or you hate it: find out which before you apply.

Urbana-Champaign- Do kids from out of state actually go here? Not much prestige (if that's a factor that you're considering).

Carnegie Mellon- I hear Pittsburgh is like an industrialized hell.

Lehigh- I've never heard anything bad about this school. Then again, I've never heard anything good.

Boston College- Religion is a big influence here. So are sports. And drinking. If you're into all that, then go ahead. It's got a very nice campus, though. And Boston is awesome (even though BC is kind of in the suburbs). Careful not to get stung*.

Cornell- Ithaca? Ewwww... Big school, too. Not my favorite. It's also the most "looked down upon" Ivy (in my opinion). Bad weather. Seasons are nice though, so is the campus.

Wash U- I hear it has a nice campus, but it's not very name-recognizable. It's very new on the prestige-o-meter. If you're OK with the midwest, then by all means, go ahead.

Personally, I'd keep: Emory, Boston College, Wash U, and MAYBE Cornell. I'd drop: Urbana-Champaign, Carnegie Mellon, Lehigh, and MAYBE Cornell.
*by all the WASPs.

By Cornellhopeful (Cornellhopeful) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 08:16 pm: Edit

Brown is usually the most looked down upon Ivy, for its open curriculum and other reasons(not that i agree w/ that).

By Chapter322 (Chapter322) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 09:07 pm: Edit

In some Harvard article it was referred to as... "The Ivy League.. and Cornell." LMAO.

By Lkcrhcp (Lkcrhcp) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 09:52 pm: Edit

Ok for all of those that say pittsburgh is a real industrial city must have visited there about 100 years ago, there are no more mills in the city. The last ones went to Japan in the 80's. The city is extremely old population wise, it's taxes are through the roof, and it's bankrupt. But as far as cities go, it's squeaky clean.

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 01:08 am: Edit

what are WASPs?
and that columbia link, "The 10 most represented undergraduate institutions are Penn, Cornell, Columbia, Yale, Stanford, Dartmouth, Yale, Princeton, and Johns Hopkins. "
why is yale on it twice? and why are there only 8 schools on the list?

By Calidan (Calidan) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 01:19 am: Edit

WASP= White Anglo-Saxon Protestant...
So that actually should've been WASC's- White Anglo-Saxon Catholic. But that didnt work with my joke. LOL!

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 04:05 am: Edit

heyyyyy lehigh is a good school...its actually ranked above boston college by USNW (its ranked 30 something i dont care enough to remember)...and pluss, im going there :)

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 04:12 am: Edit

heres all the smack i can think of:

Emory- hickish with a touch of long island, not very diverse (however i think it is an up and coming school_

Urbana-Champaign- state school, will never reach the prestigous of umich, uva, berkley... very illinois dominated

Carnegie Mellon - computer geeks...a confused emulation of mit

Lehigh- cant comment im going there

Boston College- was a commuter school 20 years ago...wants to be a lac but cant...lots of rich drunks... tufts blows it out of the water

Cornell- overpowered by asians (sorry if i offended anyone)...refered to as the loser ivy.... nyu has equally hard admission...ithaca, ny absolutely sucks

Wash U- wanna be prestige... waitlists everyone in order to cater to USNW ranking system (results in an extremely high yield rate and basically handpicks the stats of those who will marticulate)...Best thing in St. Louis is Nelly

By Shaka (Shaka) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 08:33 am: Edit

i think it's safe to say URBANA CHAMPAIGN IS OFF MY LIST(college list, not the smack talk list

any more smack talk?

By Cornellhopeful (Cornellhopeful) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 12:26 pm: Edit

i think you need an opposite thread for these schools for more info.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 12:32 pm: Edit

You are just mad since people are honest about Cornell.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 12:37 pm: Edit

http://experts.about.com/q/2260/3073225.htm

to get in the "best law schools"

Oh yeah, dump Carnegie Mellon unless you hate social life and cool people. Add some schools with quality of life and academics

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 12:40 pm: Edit

http://experts.about.com/q/2260/3073225.htm

to get in the "best law schools"

Oh yeah, dump Carnegie Mellon unless you hate social life and cool people. Add some schools with quality of life and academics.

And as much as I am hating on Cornell, totally apply there since it has a business program. Johnson (Cornell's business MBA) is ranked around 15ish and improving every year. Since so few places have UG business, you can't afford to leave it out.

By Shaka (Shaka) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 04:05 pm: Edit

can someone tell me more about lehigh?

By Appliedmath (Appliedmath) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 04:26 pm: Edit

well for Lehigh the whole campus is built ontop of mutiple hills, so getting around is a major chore. You'll get good exercise though. Everyone at lehigh plays sports.

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 07:02 pm: Edit

I"M JUST WOndering how come USC is not on your list??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

By Shaka (Shaka) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 09:48 pm: Edit

U of South Cali? I dunno...i guess cuz california got too many asians to fit in their schools...and it's also harder for out of staters to get in

By Collegewannabe (Collegewannabe) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 10:03 pm: Edit

USC is a private school i dont think it matters where you live

By Quynh2007 (Quynh2007) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 07:26 pm: Edit

although i love love cornell, i do like to warn potentials (i'm on the Red Carpet Society e-board--if you visit and stay overnight, you go through me :-) )

+ weather sucks, luckily, you usually get 6 weeks off in the winter, so the worst weather you will be away.

+ you earn your grades (not known for grade inflation)

+ cornell sucks $$, they charge you for anything and everything they can (they even put in $50 each semester in meal plans because they anticipate you stealing that much from the dining halls)

+ rural location, nothing to do.

+ hills hills hills. you can really tell your kids that you walked uphill both ways in 5 inches of snow.

although there are many positive aspects, this is a talk smack thread :-) hope this helps. can't help you with any other school since I only applied to 5, only cornell was on your list.

I would like to comment one someone who said that cornell was overrun with asians, it's true there are a lot of asians, but that is because the engineering school is like 40-60% asian and there aren't many in other schools.

By Shaka (Shaka) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 09:44 pm: Edit

cool, thanx

anyone else on lehigh?

By Sammo (Sammo) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:17 pm: Edit

Please tell me my chances of admission into schools I have named, preferably Ivy League.

Korean American male, Junior in Georgia in one of the top public schools in my state

4.1 Weighted, 3.83 Unweighted GPA, Rank: 37/512 (plan to be top 5% soon)
SAT: 1430- 780 Math, 650 Verbal, trying hard to raise that verbal
- if English is 2nd language I learned, will colleges be lenient even though I have lived here since I was ten yrs old? Probably not, but just asking.
- Will take SAT IIs in Math IC, IIC, US History, Spanish
(I do not know about writing because of New SAT coming up)
should I take SAT II asap or wait, because I could take Math and Spanish now?

Taking 3 APs (U.S. History and AP Calc AB, BC) & 5 Honors this year; I will take at least 4-5 APs Senior year (Gov, Mic Econ, Stat, Spanish, Physics)

ECs (is this enough or do I need more?):
NHS- President
Habitat for Humanity- Vice President
SGA- Homeroom Rep
Key Club- Board
Beta Club- Secretary
Spanish Club
Spanish Honor Society
Math Team
Mu Alpha Theta (Math Honor Society)
Lacrosse (JV)
Concert Band
Guitar Club

Volunteer:
Habitat for Humanity in Downtown Atlanta (summer)
Scottish Rights Childrens Hospital for 8 wks; worked with kids (summer)
Spend 2 wks in Mexico / 2 wks in Peru for Mission Trip (summer)
Praise leader for church worship band; play guitar & piano well
Teacher for Vacation Bible School for 5 yrs.
*So far I think I have about 500 hrs of volunteer work. Is that enough?*

Awards / Honors:
Honor Band (trumpet)
Concert Band (1st chair)
Student of the Month (responsibility)
World Geography
Spanish
Math Team
Math Honor Society
National Honor Society
Spanish Honor Society

Schools I’m thinking of applying:
Boston U
NYU
Emory
Tufts
Rice
Northwestern
Georgetown
Washington U in St. Louis
Cornell
U Penn
Brown
Columbia

more schools I should consider?

Majors I’m considering are East Asian Studies, History, Geography, Urban Studies, Mathematics, honestly I’m quite not sure. Is that such a bad thing?

By Rogracer (Rogracer) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:41 pm: Edit

You can get a first-rate education at Lehigh...do not sell it short. I felt my undergrad experience there was better than what I observed as a grad student at MIT.

By Thekev (Thekev) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 04:51 pm: Edit

Dude--keep Baruch. The faculty there is awesome.

By Copper45 (Copper45) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 11:03 pm: Edit

The people who say Cornell isn't a reach for anyone is just trying to boost Cornell's reputation because s/he is dissatisfied with Cornell being knocked all the time. I think Cornell is a great school, but it seems to me that it could definitely be a match. From my experience, and I am a graduating senior, is that several people who were accepted to Cornell at my school were not accepted to Emory. I think Cornell is the most overrated underrated school out there. So many people think that it's underrated that they try to boost its reputation, perhaps overrating it, if that makes sense. I applied to all city schools so thus did not Cornell, but I know it has a gorgeous campus. However, Emory is in an exciting city and it has an amazing campus too, one of the best I saw college searching. I don't know anyone going to WashU and Lehigh seems like a very preppy school. It isn't as stellar as schools like Emory, Cornell, and WashU in academics, but it is definitely strong academically. Putting aside my rural/suburban distaste in colleges, I would say of that list it is worth applying to Emory, Cornell, and Lehigh.

By Malicemizer9 (Malicemizer9) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 01:48 am: Edit

All I see is a bunch of arrogant high school students(some not) and a WONDERFUL (note extreme sarcasm) dartmouth grad ragging on Cornell. Wait until early April. You'll see that Cornell is not the two cent trash you say it is. Cornell, if it MUST be ranked among the Ivies, would come in fourth behind HYP. Claiming that Dartmouth or Brown, which are both fantastic schools, are stronger academically than Cornell is ridiculous.

That is all.

By Malicemizer9 (Malicemizer9) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 02:09 am: Edit

...oh, and about the acceptance rate...

which is in the low twenties right now (where Dartmouth was very recently, right slipper?), really makes Cornell a bad school. After all, if you don't participate in Yale-brand admissions murder (9%), you suck.

U Chicago sucks. It accepts 42%. Never mind that the things going on there are more remarkable than many things at HYPM and S. After all, it accepts too many people, and therefore it is a bad school. All I want in my college experience is to feel that I beat out 10 other people for my spot. Only beating six out of 10 for Chicago means I am a failure. Never mind that the education is incredible. I just want to satisfy my elitist feelings and be able to feel better than everyone else. Because, at age 18, I have decided that is what means the most to me. Not actually learning, or enjoying the four most fun years of my life, but rather celebrating my superiority in college admissions.

So Cornell accepts the highest % in the ivy league. shame shame. why doesnt it drop out so it can stop disgracing the likes of yale and princeton?

Never mind that Cornell was one of the most respected schools in the nation before it joined the ivy league.

Never mind that Cornell has only a few black sheep programs that are OUT of the top ten.

Never mind that you might learn more at Cornell than at any of the other ivies.

Never mind that the name-school bullsh!t wears off within five minutes of entering college, where many of you will get your first dose or maturity and reality.

If you want to continue your irrational hate of cornell, go ahead. Let me tell you how to take it to the max: turn off your AC. after all, it was invented by a cornell grad. And cornell has the highest acceptance rate in the ivies. Which is pathetic.

go ahead. turn it off.

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 09:18 am: Edit

Hooooooooooooo snap!

I love AC. :)

By Pkit (Pkit) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 10:02 am: Edit

as for lehigh, it's a beautiful campus. supposedly it's a "hilly version of northwestern." i wouldn't know since i've never been to northwestern though. anyway some of the dorms are pretty nice (there are singles and some have air conditioning). Also, if you want to be an engineer, lehigh is a great place to go because engineering there is good i hear. psychology and business are supposedly the easiest majors. Greek life pretty much dominates social life, and if u want to be in a frat or sorority it's a great place to go because the frat houses are freakin amazing, they look like mansions (they have pillars, etc) anyway, if you aren't into greek life it could be a slight problem, but lehigh is cutting down on the amount of frats. drinking is a pretty big thing there because in Bethlehem, PA there is pretty much jack to do (i live near there, is should know) anywayy, i hope that helps

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page