SATs, more important now or less important?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: SATs, more important now or less important?
By Tdli (Tdli) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 11:22 pm: Edit

I just read an article in TIME magazine saying that the hype with the anti-SAT movement is a load of BS. That since colleges are finding out that with alotta schools beefing up grades, alot of cheating going on and alot of lying on the Extracurricular Section, the only really concrete part of the ap is the tests. What do you guys think?

By Dxiw (Dxiw) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 12:23 am: Edit

you do HAVE a valid point..

By Incognito (Incognito) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 12:27 am: Edit

Hmmm...interesting topic.
There are always SAT IIs, AP exams, college essays, and ECs. Also, dont forget that the changes being made to the current SAT (which will be introduced in 2005 - there was recently a field test) are widely supported by American academic institutions. My guess would be that the new SAT (with its essay and all) will be more of a deciding factor in the future. With the anticipation of a new and improved exam, is it possible that schools may currently overlook SAT scores?...

By Zulu (Zulu) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 02:37 am: Edit

I posted this on "re: a unique situation", and this contains my views on this subject.

The SAT score is a prerequisite to getting into the schools you mentioned. Score at least a 1400, preferably with a high verbal score since you seem, from your list of colleges, to be a non-techy applicant. You have it all, besides test scores, so I'd concentrate on getting them. Contrary to what some people will tell you, in your case at least, where you have nothing extraordinary with respect to extracurricular activities or sport, the SAT will be the deciding factor. Let me repeat myself, study your ass off for the SAT, because those who do well on the SATs, statistically speaking, do well in college, and, more importantly, because college admissions officers find it very difficult -- no matter how much they WANT to take a "holistic" view to your candidacy -- to turn the blind-eye to the this correlation between SAT scores and college performance. Furthermore, from what I have read on the college admissions process, far too many applicants to elite colleges -- almost all -- have great school grades, whereas a SIGNIFICANTLY smaller number have high SAT scores, making the SAT, warts and all, the only way to discern between the many OTHERWISE academically equivalent students.

By Unicorn (Unicorn) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 04:06 am: Edit

what abt a high sat1 (1470, 750V) score, but one 'slightly' bad sat2 score on the writing (670!), even though essay subscore is great?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page