WGPA, uwGPA: which one is more important?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: WGPA, uwGPA: which one is more important?
By Ayachan (Ayachan) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 06:03 pm: Edit

hey guys:
I have a 3.81uw and 4.47 wGPA.
since part of my transcript was translated (i was in taiwan back then), my wGPA sucked ass.
do the colleges look at weighted more? or unweighted?

By Rowan (Rowan) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 08:29 pm: Edit

Typically, colleges will take your reported UWGPA, look at your reported WGPA and then, if they so desire, add their own weight to specific programs. In other words, it doesn't really matter: what you have is what you have. On the other hand, a 3.81 GPA that's 4.47 WGPA shows that you've taken quite a few challenging courses. In that sense, it'll be the course that helps you and not necessarily the GPA.

Hope that helps some.

By Asdf (Asdf) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 11:38 pm: Edit

UW is more important since different schools weight differently, and many schools, including mine, don't weight at all.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 11:56 pm: Edit

what is unweighted and weighted GPA? I have a 4.2. Is that weighted or unweighted? Whats the difference?

By Ayachan (Ayachan) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 03:42 pm: Edit

THANX to all of you who responded.
this really makes me feel better cuz i've been feeling scared ALL THIS TIME...

Jason817:
if 4.2 is all you've got on your transcript then it's prolly an unweighted GPA. Im guessing that your school doesnt weight, if it does then you should have two gpa's. what a weighted gpa is, is that some schools award bonus points if you take a more advanced course. for instance, if your school gives a 3.33 for an A in english, and you take honors english you'll prolly get a 4.33 for the same A because your honors status awards you one point more. In this case, 3.33 is your unweighted GPA and 4.33 is your weighted.

By Demiurge (Demiurge) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 10:31 pm: Edit

uhh jason817's 4.2 gpa is obviously weighted or half-weighted... unless he managed to get nearly all A+'s through high school.

By Tdli (Tdli) on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 12:29 am: Edit

I thought the perfect score for an unweighted GPA is 4.0. PERFECT SCORE. That means 100s in everything.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 01:26 am: Edit

For non AP or honors classes:
A=4.0
A-=3.7
B+=3.3
B=3.0
For AP/Honors classes:
A=5.0
A-=4.7
B+=4.3
B=4.0

Thats how it is. i did not get all A's but still managed a 4.2. there is no other bonuses other than these. This 4.2 was from last year when I took two honors classes and 4 regular.

By L_Wonder (L_Wonder) on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 07:56 pm: Edit

Your schools sure are generous! When I was a senior in high school in Virginia Beach, you only got a .067 or something like that for an A in an honors class. There were not +'s or -'s, and a '93' was the same B as '86', and you got nothing for AP's. Seems like a lot of schools make it easy to get inflated GPA's.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 07:59 pm: Edit

Yeah but my school is competive as hell. A 4.2 wouldnt even put you at the top 30 (out of 380).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page