What do you think?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: What do you think?
By Someguy (Someguy) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 02:30 am: Edit

Here's the situation:
GPA: 2.8 (Haven't had it checked yet, but I'm sure the adjusted would be high 3)
ACT: 29 (taken only once though)
My transcript is full of science classes - I took as many as I possibly could. My GPA is so low because I messed around terribly in ninth, tenth, and the first half of eleventh grade. It was, without a doubt, the most foolish thing I could have done. Additionally, my GPA was not helped by my taking LDS seminary for all four of my high-school years. This removed any leeway I might have had in failing classes. This resulted in being forced to make-up nearly two-and-a-half credits in the last semester of my senior year. I took Independent (or Home) Study from BYU for all but half of those credits. My transcript shows that I cleaned up my act by my senior year in spades, but will that really matter? To make things worse, I have no way of getting enough money to allow me not to have to work my way through college.
Now don't laugh, but would it be possible for me to get into a school that's at least semi-respectable?
Here's my plan:
-Return from a two-year mission for the LDS church.
(I'll be twenty-one by this point)
-Enroll in BYU (which has a ninety-eight percent acceptance rate for return missionaries.)
-While attending BYU I will take obviously difficult classes and hold an "A-average." I know I can do this - with ease.
-Sometime either before or immediately after my mission, I plan to pass the ACT with a minimum of a 32. I'm almost sure I can do that. I also plan to take the SAT with a similar score.

Now, the question is:
If I were to attempt to then enroll into a college on the same level as Harvard (or very near thereof), would I have any chance whatsoever? Would they just blow me off because of my High School record ad nauseam? Would my low ACT score get me thrown out of the stack as well? Am I just simply a dreamer who needs a good kick in the rear?

By Mzinn (Mzinn) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 06:33 pm: Edit

I've noticed that whenever I made elaborate plans for a period longer then one month, they failed miserably. I think it's because I would always tell myself "I'll do better, I'll work harder" but I never would. I dont know if it's the same with you. Don't spend your time worrying about it; just try your best and everything else will fall into place.

I think the college would at least consider you. If not, just apply to a college that doesn't consider high school performance for transfer students (like Berkeley).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page