Help! Math for Engineers!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Help! Math for Engineers!!!
By Cru (Cru) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 03:39 am: Edit

Help!!!
I'm trying to write this essay for scholarship.
The thing is that I have to write specific plans after I enroll in college. I have to write what type of course I would be taking. Any ideas? What type of math should I be studying if I wanna major in electrical engineering? For instance, differential equation? anything? I really have to write detailed descriptions of my math course and engineering class. Hmmm... Anybody? This is a huge scholarship by the way

By Brd (Brd) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 12:42 pm: Edit

Just to preface, I am gradute student in physics, not engineering -- but I think I have a pretty good idea of the core mathematics curriculum that engineering majors typically encounter.

Naturally you will have to complete or pass out of a basic two or three semester sequence in calculus, followed by an introductory course in differential equations. You will certainly have to take a linear algebra course as preparation for any study in signal processing. If you are smart, you will learn as much linear algebra as you can; it will come up again and again and again -- although it might be disguised under a name like "Fourier Series"

Above and beyond this, you might eventually want to take an introductory course in partial differential equations. Many EE majors at UT also take a one (and occasionally two) semester course in Fourier and Laplace Transforms. I've also know EE students to take a course in Complex Analysis, although most likely all you "need" to know about complex functions you will learn in your EE courses.

By Cru (Cru) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 12:07 am: Edit

Thanks a lot!
I got the picture

By the way, would it be different for students who want to major in robotics? It seems like the courses above are mainly for communication classes... hmm.... Just wondering.

By Brd (Brd) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 01:29 am: Edit

Well, signal processing comes up in more places than just communications. In robotics for instance, any visual or auditory input that your robot would respond to has to be filtered and transformed, using Fourier analysis, or wavelet methods, or something similar. IMO, you're really not going to get away from studying linear systems in engineering, not matter what specific subfield you end up in.

Real-time control gets into areas (that I don't know much about) called linear programming and constraint matching. Whether or not you'd take a separate course on those topics probably depends upon how far you go into the area. For a first pass I would suspect you'd pick up what you need in the relevant EE class.

By Cru (Cru) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 04:41 am: Edit

Thanks for all the help!
I really appreciate it...
One last question!

Is there any sort of license I can earn?

By Brd (Brd) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 10:16 am: Edit

It may differ somewhat from state to state, but generally I think some sort of licensure is _required_ before you can call yourself a Professional Engineer (PE). You should search online or ask someone in your advising office.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page