Which college should I choose? ~PLEASE RESPOND~

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Which college should I choose? ~PLEASE RESPOND~
By Svansviek (Svansviek) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 10:59 am: Edit

I thought that it would never come to this point...
I have too many good college and scholarship offers but can only go to one college.
This may be because I made sure to avoid the Ivy League like the plague and my parents are cheap and wanted me to get merit scholarships.
*I would highly appreciate advice as to which college I should attend.*
Here are my application and acceptance statuses:

Georgia Tech - Accepted but no scholarship. I thought it was ok, but there are better choices. I am sure I won't go there.

University of Pittsburgh - Accepted w/fullride scholarship. - I highly doubt that I will go here as well.

Washington and Lee univ. - Honor (merit)scholarship finalist. The school is cool, but too preppy and conservative. So I probably won't go there.

Harvey mudd college - Nova scholarship (half tuition ~ 14,000/yr) finalist. I like this place but chances of me going there are sort of slim..

NOW HERE COMES THE REAL TOUGH DECISIONS...

WashU - Ervin Scholarship (full tuition) finalist. I haven't had much exposure to this college, but my older brother goes there and is not too fond of it. However, my parents ARE. Therein lies the problem. I'll be going to visit it in a week for the scholarship competition so I'll see if I like it then.

Boston U (BU) - Before I started the college process, I was set on going to BU. So I applied for their Trustee scholarship (full tuition and mandatory fees). Surprisingly enough, I was selected for this scholarship a few days ago. Unfortunately, I may not get a chance to visit Awesome Boston and BU before my decision.

Rose-Hulman Institute of technology - Full tuition scholarship plus free laptop. It's a great engineering school (my intended major). However, It lacks diversity and is in the middle of nowhere. It's still a good choice, though.

Last but most definitely most,

RICE! - I love the school and got offered their Trustee Distinguished Scholarship ($10,000 per year) and have a good chance at an additional $2000/yr scholarship as well. I really want to go there, but it may cost more than other choices by a few thousand dollars (but they cost ten thousand less than other colleges from the get-go).

Should I follow money or my heart?

I will update my scholarship status as I hear back from the colleges.

P.S. And to think that MIT rejected me? Oh well. At least I have a chance of having a life in college.

P.P.S. Feel free to ask me other questions about myself as well.

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 11:37 am: Edit

Hey what do you mean by the additional $2000 in schol? I cant say i have much to offer as far as opinoins are concerned tho, im pretty confused myself!!!

By Svansviek (Svansviek) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 12:36 pm: Edit

The additional 2000 is the RICE-TMS scholarship for URM's, Cherm. I already saw that link BTW, Elm. It's a good site, but I really need useful commentary.

By Militarygrade (Militarygrade) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 12:41 pm: Edit

Turning your nose up at Harvey Mudd?

Wow.

That's a great school. If you want engineering, go Mudd. Can't be beat.

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 01:03 pm: Edit

oki doki! thanx Svan :)-wuz just curious
you looking for engineering Rice huh? ive heard some rather not-so-good comments about it, but im in as well, with a half tuiton waiver, and im tempted. In fact Rice is on the top of my list. I have anotehr motive, that if i change my mind id like to switch to thier archi programme... but still i was a little apprehensive at first. Whatz ur thought on Rice's engineering program?

By Icee (Icee) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 01:21 pm: Edit

Given your major, I would definitely go to Harvey Mudd.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 03:56 pm: Edit

I don't know any of these school's merits but I would suggest Boston University or Rice. I only suggest these schools because you show a clear preference for them. You need to go to college where you'll be the most comfortable and happy. If you're miserable in a year, your free laptop or paying a thousand dollars less won't matter. Whatever you do, don't go where your brother goes! If he isn't happy there, it might be a clue that it's not a good school for either of you. Don't let your parents bully you, they won't have to suffer in a hateful place for 4 years.

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 05:45 pm: Edit

WUStL is a great school and if it doesnt suit your bro, it doesnt imply that you'd be unhappy there as well. Probably attending a class at your top-choice schools would make decisions easier.

BTW, why does your brother not like Wash U?

By Svansviek (Svansviek) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 06:57 pm: Edit

my bro doesn't like washu that much for several reasons. I'll be visiting him there in a few days so I'll ask him then and update you guys. I also applied to washU engineering which is very tough and has a harsh grading system.

I do like Rice a lot and I'd rather buy and customize my own laptop for college.

I visited Mudd and know about their great comprehensive engineering program.

Unfortunately, money is an issue for my parents because while their income is too high for need-based aid, they still have to put 5 kids through college (I'm the 2nd of the 5).

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 03:55 am: Edit

Just be warned, Svan, that a lot of people have bad opinions of the Rice engineering program. I am in contact with one girl at rice, and she tells me that the profs are very approachable etc, but many people dont seem to ahve a great opinion about thier engineering program. Just be warned.

By Kacey9290 (Kacey9290) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 06:18 am: Edit

You got the BU trustee scholarship? I got it too!...Hey, may be we'll meet there? I'm still waiting for the other schools admissions results to come in though. as for the money thing, I don't know. I'm sort of in your shoes, but the thing is that my parents simply can't pay anyting more than 10,000, so I don't have much of a choice. BU's offer made sure that I would be going to the states for college, but it isn't my dream school. Problem w/ BU though is that it's living costs are going to be really high (the estimate's impossible, there is no way my personal expenses are gonna be 1000$), so if another school gives me a similar deal but is located in a cheaper area, I'll go there. BU has magnificent facilities though, adn being a rich-kid school, its definitely gonna have the best of everything, so there's a plus to going there. good luck choosing

By Svansviek (Svansviek) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 07:52 pm: Edit

update - I got the Harvey Mudd Nova scholarship (1/2 tuition). I wish that they'd offer more.

By Dxiw (Dxiw) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 08:33 pm: Edit

Id take Rice anyday. BTW what was your SAT / GPA and how strong were ur EC's?

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 01:45 pm: Edit

congrats!

By Lovewriting (Lovewriting) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 02:13 pm: Edit

You sounded most enthusiastic about BU. I would seriously consider going there, due to that factor, its financial offer, the cultural offerings of a large city, and its overall reputation.

By Quarky (Quarky) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 02:13 pm: Edit

WHat are ur stats? How did u get a full ride at Rose Hulman? With my great math/sci stats, I oinly got 12.5 k scholarship.

By Svansviek (Svansviek) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 03:27 pm: Edit

I was the most enthusiastic about BU before applications, but I like Rice more now that I have visited it during VISION 2003.
Stats:
SAT - 1560 800M 760V
SAT2 Math 2c - 740
Math 1c - 690
BIO M - 760
Writing - 680
Gpa is 4.631 weighted and roughly 3.85 unweighted
I am in the top 2% of my senior class of 750 in a suburban HS.
My grades are pretty much all variants of A except for ap calc (ab and bc) and ap english language (B+'s)

A little part of it may have to do with the fact that I'm a black male, but I'm just as qualified or slightly more qualified than most applicants to these schools.

Rose just decided to give me a scholarship of that size. I didn't do anything to prompt that.

My EC's are pretty bad. The only one I truly did for 4 yrs is track. I did comm service in the past and play a small role in student council.

Thanks for the congrats.

By Cookie (Cookie) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 04:45 pm: Edit

Go to Rice. It's a great school, man. Nigerians rule!!!!!!

By Cookie (Cookie) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 04:45 pm: Edit

Especially Igbos...

By Quarky (Quarky) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 05:04 pm: Edit

WHAT?? I want a full-tuition scholarship + 3000 laptop waiver from RH! Shouldn't they be looking for math in engineering applicants? I have 800 sat math, 800 sat iic, 36 act. I have a bunch of math/sci awards on local, state, and national levels... doing research... submitted 2 essays with my application... submitted a research paper with my application... several leadership positions, organized/initiated several eng/math/sci events at my school... How come all I get is 12.5? My EFC is 6500...

By Caliboy (Caliboy) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 07:42 pm: Edit

i have to give you props on avoiding ivies. I mean they are presitigious but now i am faced with the cost of going to one with no financial aid while looking at other scholarships, and they just keep pulling you back in.

By Jumbo (Jumbo) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 09:03 pm: Edit

mmm, I'd go to either WUSTL or Rice.

By Svansviek (Svansviek) on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 09:00 am: Edit

For me, It's basically between rose-hulman, bu, wustl and rice. I'm about to go on my trip to wustl in a few hours.

My math sat2's were as a freshman so I don't have near-perfect scores in them.

I have only local math sci awards and no research yet. I think it's because RH wants ethnic diversity (I'm a 2nd generation nigerian) because they have only about 20 (1%) or so black people on their campus.

By Svansviek (Svansviek) on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 03:26 pm: Edit

update - I got a full tuition scholarship to washington and Lee U.
I also got the BU Trustee scholarship, which is cool.
I visited washU. I liked it, but I still like Rice better. Rice should offer more money and other opportunities, though.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page