Do sports help?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Do sports help?
By Jimjunior (Jimjunior) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 02:58 am: Edit

I was wondering how much participation in sports helps on an application. I wont be winning any scholarships, but by the time I will graduate I will have eight varsity letters. I am captain of the swim team, and I hope to play water polo in college if possible.

Will an academic school like MIT take into account that i spent so much time on sports, even though it has little to do with my college curriculum. btw I am also ranked 1/180 and have 1520

By Healthy_Body (Healthy_Body) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 11:40 am: Edit

yes, you show an obvious commitment to these extra curricular activities (and you have a leadership position) and if you are good enough to get recruited at a school like MIT then you will have an small advantage.

By Dadster (Dadster) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 04:14 pm: Edit

Jimjunior, I think your 8 varsity letters will add a nice bit of diversity and roundedness to your strong class rank and SAT. Good luck!

By Mafmaf22 (Mafmaf22) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 03:01 pm: Edit

how the hell do u get 8 varsity letters? Do u play 3 sports a season? You know you can only get one letter per sport meaning the max is probably like 4-6 if your extrememly talented and play 2 sports a season varsity, which is basically impossible.

By Pisces (Pisces) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 03:09 pm: Edit

Jimjunior- When you get a varsity letter, it's usually counted once. Like, if you have a varsity letter in soccer, for example, you only get one fuzzy letter, but you say that you played varsity for four years. It just might sound weird and questionable on your app if you say you earned 8.

By John (John) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 05:38 pm: Edit

We don't actually get anything called "varsity letter" at my school. But if you're on varsity it's called earning your varsity letter. I'm going to have 7 by the time I graduate. Most in my class is someone who has 11 letters, some one in the grade below me is going to end up with 12 though.

By Studiousvegetar (Studiousvegetar) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 09:28 pm: Edit

Sports make you more well-rounded.

By Jimjunior (Jimjunior) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 02:21 am: Edit

At my school you earn a varsity letter for each year that you play a varsity sport. This means that the maximum is 12 varsity letters (3 varsity sports, frosh-senior year). All of the schools around me work in the same way.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page