Volunteering in mexico vs. job + cc courses?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Volunteering in mexico vs. job + cc courses?
By Cassatia (Cassatia) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 05:00 pm: Edit

What would look better for colleges (HYP, Penn, MIT)? Volunteering with an international organization in Latin America (my daughter really enjoys Latin American culture and Spanish, but this volunteering adventure is actually expensive) or taking classes at the community college/working? Please help!

By Dxiw (Dxiw) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 05:12 pm: Edit

volunteer shows that you care and want to help, I guess it depends what your volunteering for.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 05:19 pm: Edit

What looks best is your daughter following her heart and passions. The activity itself isn't as important as is how she managed to get to do it (her creating opportunities for herself is better than things that parents bought and found for her) and what she learned and accomplished by doing the activity. Particularly important are things that she accomplishes by being so enthusiastic that she did far more than the activity required.

By Cassatia (Cassatia) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 06:38 pm: Edit

Thanks Northstarmom and Dxiw. She really wants to participate in this program where high school/college students help with the poor in Mexico, Honduras, etc. But since this does cost much for my family, I would just like to see what kind of impact it could have on her college apps?

Anyone else?

By Chen (Chen) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 07:11 pm: Edit

Has she done a lot of volunteering before? If her ECs are too diverse and she needs to appear like she really does have a passion for volunteering, then she should go, but if her ECs aren't diverse enough, do the job. I'm just basing this on my personal opinion though. According to this one book, it seems like shools don't rate jobs as being very high in selection standards.

By Militarygrade (Militarygrade) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 07:43 pm: Edit

Have her go to CC and do Habitat for Humanity on the weekends.

That's what I did.

By Chen (Chen) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 10:49 am: Edit

No offense, but that is NOT the same as volunteering in Latin America. Habitat for Humanity can look like an EC done just to put it on the college app.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page