Should I try?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Should I try?
By Studiousvegetar (Studiousvegetar) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 07:27 pm: Edit

Do you think I have a chance at UCLA/UC Berkeley?
SAT 1310
GPA 4.0 UW
tons of ecs
no legacy
out of state

By Rowan (Rowan) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 07:30 pm: Edit

Less and less are academics starting to count for the actual admissions -- sure, it'll put you into a certain cut, but it isn't by far the only thing the colleges look for. A list of your ECs would help, but without an essay and your recommendations, it's just such a toss in the air for these things. Based on your record though, I'd say you have a pretty decent chance.

By Chronoshock (Chronoshock) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 07:45 pm: Edit

Heh the UC's are funny like that...out of staters (especially those on the east coast) get majorly shafted when it comes to admissions. I got 1580 SATI's, 800Chem, 800MathIIC, 760Writing, strong EC's, strong essay, and great recs, yet I was strongly discouraged by everyone from applying there. The people at the career center in my school (counselors who help with college decisions) actually consider UC Berkeley harder to get into than Harvard, Yale, or Princeton. The reason why? Every year we have a handful of people getting into each of the Ivies, yet no one has gotten into the UC's (at least to my knowledge). So unfortunately, if you're on the east coast, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

By Studiousvegetar (Studiousvegetar) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 10:05 pm: Edit

I would say about 1% of the graduating class gets into an Ivy every year. To my knowledge, no one has gotten into the U of C school system in the last two years.
I should be able to get pretty good recs.
I live in MI.
MY ecs
Track,Cross Country, NHS, National French Honor Society, SADD, Rotary Interact, French Club, Science Olympiad, Young Mentor's Society (YES), volunteer at library, dance , club basketball, lots of volunteer work. Thanks

By Congocross (Congocross) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 10:52 pm: Edit

A student in my school that got into UCLA and he's out of state. Studious, I would said applied or you will never know but have backups.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page