What do you think?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: What do you think?
By Dwaynehoover (Dwaynehoover) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 11:55 pm: Edit

I'm a sophomore in highschool right now, I was just wondering if there is anything on my "portfolio" that might be needed to get me into my preferred colleges in order of preference:

1. Upenn(wharton) -- ED
2. MIT (sloan)
3. Northwestern
4. UC Berkeley (Haas)
5. Duke
6. Georgetown

Ok here is some generic information
School: Private High School in New England, one of the presitigous "seven"--i omit the school name for purposes of indiscrimination. Most important part is that all students there are collegebound and the majority go to top 25 Colleges and the school has sat average of 1400. Basically it is COMPETITIVE as hell.
GPA: 3.9 My school does not weight considering all courses are at advanced level..
PSAT: 218 (Fall 2002)
SAT: 1500 (800m, 700v)(January 2003)
AP's: US History(have not taken) Calc A,B,C(exam not taken yet), Micro+Macro Econ(Junior Year), Statistics (Senior Year), Physics B+C (Junior Year),
SAT II's: Writing(Projected 600-750), US History(proj.750-800), Math IIC(proj.750-800)

----
Ec's, Awards, Hobbies etc.

1. With same PSAT score next year, I will most likely be National Merit Finalist.
2. AMC Math winner into 2nd round
3. I'm hoping all get into the physics olympic team, 2 kids from my school get it every year.
4. Award winning US History term paper (www.tcr.org)
5. Varsity Squash(freshman-senior)--currently ranked #1 -- will be nationally ranked in Under 17's this summer. Voted captain for next year.
6. Have been playing piano for 5 years, have done recitals--will include video of me performing.
7. ***THIS IS MY MAIN EC*** Extremely dedicated to the art of film, taken many advanced film courses, also have gone to New York Film Academy. Have done several documentaries, including one on my school and one on the Covenant HOuse, a nationally-renowned homeless shelter. Will include a DVD of my best films with my portfolio.

well thats it...I'm going to write an essay related to film+business (my two passions and perhaps my future career)...I want to go to a good business school that also has a good film program. Believe it or not, but business is an essential part of film. Many directors say that film is 80% business, 20% creativity. (Hence my wanting to go to Wharton, Sloan, Haas)...I don't know what my reccomendations will be like but i have stellar comments with my grades..so i imagine they will not be too far off from that.

Anyways, sorry for my rambling and I do not post this because i am insecure but rather I would like to hear your feedback about what i should add or pursue in order to strengthen my application.

thanks

By Dwaynehoover (Dwaynehoover) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 12:11 am: Edit

bump

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 12:15 am: Edit

wow i'm a sophomore and now i feel stupid

By Kacey9290 (Kacey9290) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 05:55 am: Edit

looks really good. I think you don't really need to worry about getting into the schools you want.

By Dwaynehoover (Dwaynehoover) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 09:11 am: Edit

OH i can't believe I forgot.
I'm white male, no aid needed...
my sister went to Wharton a few years ago, so i Have legacy and Wharton only looks at legacy for ED, which i am doing.

My Dad is on board of trustees at northwestern.

if that changes anything...Pennster or penngirl, can you evaluate my chances?

By Jsagoff (Jsagoff) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 11:53 am: Edit

Dwaynehoover --

How highly are you ranked in squash? My sister plays squash as well -- she is U17 and ranked Top 50 by the NCSSRA -- I think that's the acronym. Squash is an unusual sport, so I think that should help you out.

By Dwaynehoover (Dwaynehoover) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 12:43 pm: Edit

I am about to qualify this at the end of this summer, but if this helps you during my school's regular season I beat the #31 U17 which is pretty good --- Squash is also very popular on the East Coast (but east coast only).

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 12:56 pm: Edit

Dwayne: You seem like the poster child for "The Official Preppy Handbook". I love that book, I just got it yesterday, and it's a riot. And you should be able to get into any school you want.

By Dwaynehoover (Dwaynehoover) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 03:29 pm: Edit

eek--i'm sorry i came off that way!! :-(

By Dferraro (Dferraro) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 11:51 pm: Edit

bump

By Azn_Cowboy (Azn_Cowboy) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 05:08 pm: Edit

What's squash? The plant?

By Reject (Reject) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 06:25 pm: Edit

hey people... i was just surfing around and i saw this thread which the main poster seems pretty competitive. I would just like to see how i match up compared to him since i am a sophmore as well. Thanks

I am hoping to get into Penn or NYU or possibly Cornell

UW GPA- 3.75(a bit low)
Rank- 11-15 of 320
PSAT- 1310
SAT II- Math1c: 750; taking chem this year

School ECs:
-President of Chemistry Club in correlation with NJ science league
-Co-Captain of JV Debate Team (couple awards); next year Varsity
-Chairman of Election Committee for Interact Club (not as prestige as it sounds, but colleges dont know that =). )
-Math League Team (minimal committment

Outside ECs:
-President of Youth Committee for Youth Group
-President/Founder of Youth Math Tutoring program (two year running; 8 students per year)
-Youth Aquatic Leader(volunteer; 5 hours per week) total: 250 hours
-Piano lessons: 4th year; rectitals; plan to send a recording

Summer Activities:
-before 9th: Kynder Camp counselor
-before 10th: Kynder Camp counselor

this summer plans-
Work at Kynder camp again, i am really committed to the camp becuase its fun to be around the lil kids, so i like doing it every year; travel for 2 weeks to Alaska to build a home

summer after that-
Shadow a doctor in a mentorship program; travel for 10 days to Guatemala to build home for a family SELF-FINANCING & SELF-FUNDING THIS TRIP with money from working at camp

::::::to the main post::::::
i dont know how you got sucha great SAT score for our age, but i give you a hand for that.

By Reject (Reject) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 06:27 pm: Edit

bump

By Azn_Cowboy (Azn_Cowboy) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 04:00 pm: Edit

Aside from the academic aspect of your stats...

You match up pretty well. :)

By Dferraro (Dferraro) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 04:05 pm: Edit

Hey Reject, I hope we both make it---If we do get in, maybe we'll see eachother at orientation (knock on wood!!)

By Mooismee (Mooismee) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 04:42 pm: Edit

dwayne, you're resume looks good right about now for wharton. my sister attends the school and ur fairly qualified, but wharton's expectations have skyrockted. my friend got straight 760's or above on his 4 SATII's, a 1510, valedictorian, and various volunteering and sports related activites, yet he still got deferred.
Being in a prep school also helps, but it doesn't ensure anything. a friend of mine goes to the lawrenceville prep, the 3rd best prep in the country, and yet he got deferred from harvard even with his stellar grades and amazing resume.
big deal at wharton is your business experience. make sure you have good internships of some sort if you want to feel confident about applying there. try to boost your sat scores also by 50 points. wharton's average SAT score is a 1480, so you're not too much better than the average. if you want to distinguish yourself from the group 3 vital things:

1. Keep your grades up. Wharton wants good grades above all. they'll scrap your app if you have too many b's.
2. Boost your SAT's. Upenn as a whole really values their stats and wharton even more so. A 1500 isn't considered too impressive at wharton. aim for a 1540 or above.
3. Business experience with reccomendations. i can't stress that enough. my friend regrets never having any business experience, otherwise he would be a wharton student right now.

But you're still a sophmore and you got lots of time to improve. i advise you to get an internship of some sort this summer, and also retake your SATs. But for a sophmore, you're definately in solid shape.

and reject, you're stats are certainly not horrible. Cornell will most likely accept you if you boost u get 1400 SATs and a litlle higher GPA. Penn on the otherhand won't. They're getting really picky and their rank is skyrocketing. Really work on your

By Dferraro (Dferraro) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 06:29 pm: Edit

My dad's best friend owns Meow-Mix -- i'll be doing an internship there this summer -- Also that 1500 was in sophomore year--so i bet i'll get it up by end of junior.

Moosimee--I also have legacy at Wharton--and my dad's other good friend is on the board there (which really helped my sister get in).

By Reject (Reject) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 11:26 pm: Edit

hey dferraro. yeah i hope we both make it as well. You got any pointers on getting sucha a high SAT? natural or did u work hard at it? and mooismee, what others aspects can i improve to get into Penn or even Duke? I like those colleges. I hope a shoe-in for cornell and nyu though. i didnt realize penn was that selective. My cousin got in with only a 1500 and rank of 5 of 450. No ECs besides tennis. Im looking to major in pre-med so does that make a difference

By Dferraro (Dferraro) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 11:50 pm: Edit

50% of Penn's admittees get 1400's--so dont stress too much about SAT's--

For math,, recognize traps...
for verbal--no preparation.

By Mooismee (Mooismee) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 05:59 pm: Edit

My situation:
I applied to Penn early D this year as an Arts and Sciences, and I got rejected. My stats:
-1450 SAT
-700 or above on Math IIC, Writing, Math IC and US history
-Ranked 15/333 in one of the most competitive counties in NJ (I live directly next to Princeton just to give you a taste of the competition)
-I was varsity tennis, founded a community service club, led my church youth group, etc. solid in extra cirrics.
-I had my sister at Penn.
-I went to their summer college program (donít go to that unless u want to experience penn life. Itís a good program, but it wonít help you in admissions)
-I had 2 recommendations from faculty. One of them was from the highest art professor at Penn who gave me the highest recommendation possible in her power.
-Straight Aís one B through frosh and soph year. Always took the highest level APís and Honors courses. NOTE: Bombed JR year. All Bís and a C. Then I got good grades Senior year with a bunch of Aís and 2 Bís.

Okay, so now you see my stats. I know for a fact that my C Jr year got me rejected automatically, so if you have a C on your transcript donít bother applying unless your parents donate A LOT of money to Penn or youíre a minority. Also, I called Penn for reasons why I got rejected and they told me that the B I received sophmore year, was a dip! Just one B in an Honors class and they already didnít like me, although I say you should still apply if you have majority Aís, and some Bís.

More:
-Penn likes legacy. They are a very family oriented schools. I know a lot of twins who go there. however, if your grades arenít there (top 10 % of the class) then donít bother unless you donate a lot of money to Upenn.
-Penn is very stat oriented. If any Ivy is concerned with the ranks, itís penn. One year, 75% of their incoming class was Valedictorian or Salutatorian. Although they stopped that insane policy, theyíre still looking to jump in the stats. Yes pennís average SAT score is a 1400 as of now, but in 4 year, donít be surprised when itís a 1450 average.
-Penn and Wharton are two VERY different schools. Penn is a rather competitive ivy, but Wharton is INSANELY competitive. Iíd say Wharton is as hard as Princeton, Harvard, etc. the average SAT at Wharton is a 1480. AVERAGE. That includes all of the sports kids, and alumni they let in which throws off their stats. So if you arenít a alumnus of Wharton, black, Hispanic, Native American, expect at least to get a 1500. And if youíre asian, at least a 1510. All my asian friends at Wharton have 1520ís or above. Those kids are SMART.

Reject:
Youíre only a sophomore and you can definitely improve:
-GPA: your GPA sucks, but you have 2 years to work on it. Make sure you can get it up to a 3.8 or higher if you want to be considered at Penn.
-SATs: You definitely have potential to get a 1400 at least on your SATs, but make sure you work hard on them. A 1360 isnít going to look good. Having good SATs can compensate for your poor GPA. And by good I mean a 1500 or higher if your GPA is still in poor shape. My friend had a 3.8 but a 1580 SAT, and heís looking like he might get in although he was deferred, but there were a lot of other factors there too.
-SATIIís: They are important. Make sure you get at least high sixes on them, but thatís the minimum. Aim for a 700 or above.
-Your cousinís stats seem solid. His SATís and rank are excellent. Although he lacks in extra cirriculars. I would be surprised if he got into Wharton though. His stats wouldnít be good enough for Wharton unless he had some very large business experience, but his stats are definitely good enough for Penn college.
-Get a Sport in your ECís. That always helps. Try to make it so they canít find a reason to reject you based off of your ECís.
-Last note to you. You are a sophomore, you have a lot of time to improve, but you better improve quick. Make sure you get straight Aís your Jr. and Sr. year to get you GPA up. Itís really ugly as an unweighted GPA. REALLY ugly, but donít lose hope. You got time. Your 1C is good.

Dfarro:
Your father being there really helps. Your sister helps also. Make sure that your father donates money though because thatís what alumi really is for. Also, alumni only helps when you apply ED. Remember that. I donít know why, but thatís the way Penn functions. Your internship should also work to your benefit. Make sure you make a good impression on people there so you can get recommendations.

I put a lot of time and research in Penn, and Iím friends with over 15 people who go there who helped me through the process. If you have any other questions, Iíll love to answer them. That was pretty comprehensive. Haha.

By Mooismee (Mooismee) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 06:03 pm: Edit

also, reject. Duke is basically on the same level as Penn as of now. Your location also helps on your apps. West coast kids are more easily accepted than East coast kids at penn currently. And living in some random state like North DAkota can help a lot. I say that your chances at Cornell at the moment seem good, but for Penn and Duke, keep working. Even then your Gpa is going to hurt, but if you work reallly hard and get straight a's in the rest of highschool, you're in potentially solid shape.

By Shiloh_Gray (Shiloh_Gray) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 06:21 pm: Edit

You sound like a spoiled little rich kid...

By Mooismee (Mooismee) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 10:06 pm: Edit

actually i'm not rich. my sister is barely financing her way through UPenn and my dad is close to being laid off from his job. I wouldn't qualify myself as spoiled or rich. I would just like to give people some information about Penn which i would have liked to have known when i was a sophmore. That's all, but think what you want. i could care less.

By Rohitram01 (Rohitram01) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 10:27 pm: Edit

it's couldn't care less... just a correction.

By Reject (Reject) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 01:22 am: Edit

thanks a lot for the advice people, i really appreciate it. Going back to Mooismee. I know my GPA sucks but im taking all of hard classes offered so my weighted GPA is like 4.5. And going back to the ECs about sports, i do play tennis for my school team, and i also play recreational basketball for a team. And by the way, what was your final gpa after your junior year. that must of hurt it bad. and yes i hope to get around a 1500 on SAT. Anyway, even if my unweighted gpa stays around that range, do my ECs compensant that? I think some of my ECs are rather unique so im hoping that that is what they are looking for.

thanks again for the advice

By Mooismee (Mooismee) on Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 10:34 pm: Edit

couldn't care less. thanks.

o 3.7 unweighted. i thought that said weighted...whatever, lot of text confuses me. 4.5 unweighted is not shabby at all for UPenn (wharton is a diff story), so i take back the stuff about your GPA. it's pretty solid, however i'm surprised that ur only ranked 11-15 with that sorta GPA...

Yeah, my GPA unweighted at the end of Soph year was a 4.0. by the time i was done with jr, i was 3.6. I dropped from 10th in my class, to 22nd. yeah it hurt a bit.

Your EC's seem fine, well rounded with the sports. They won't blow anyone away or make up for SAT scores or GPA however. Im sure there are plenty of kids with similar things on their resume's.

By Reject (Reject) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 10:49 pm: Edit

could you tell me what are blow away ECs? I thought mine were pretty good seeing that i have 5 leadership positions under my belt and my volunteer work with building homes in Alaska and Guatemala(self-financing) so please shed some light on my EC situation

thanks

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page