I've been let down...I think

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: I've been let down...I think
By Piecesofjess (Piecesofjess) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 11:49 pm: Edit

It started sophomore year when I had an English teacher who really believed in me. We both could tell I stood apart from the class. The following year, the gap broadened and started felling really confident about my work. I got a sense that this was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. At the end of the semester, she told me that my writing had a voice that was very distinct. She said that two people stood out in the class and that I was one of them, and it was reflected in my grade - I was at the top of the class...then she rejected my application to AP English. I was so crushed (a few hours ago). If I can't even place into the AP of my best subject, how am I going to get into Columbia, especially with the high emphasis they place on English? Someone please tell me there's hope...

Here's what else I've got going for me:
PSAT math in 97th percentile
PSAT english in 97th percentile
98 on English regents
3.6 GPA - I was sort of screwed freshmen year b/c I was new to the district and needed time to adapt. My GPA for the past 3 years has been: 3.4, 3.6, 3.8 respectively.
President of Mock Trial
Social VP of local GSA
I have directed and acted in about 10 plays in the past 3 years (I have a whole theatrical resume done up)
Poety Club member
Forum Leader
Peer Leadership Program
NYSSMA (lev. 4)- 28
I lived abroad for 5 years (95-00)
I am currently taking 1 AP (Am. Hist.), and plan to take 3 next year (Euro. Hist., Enviro. Sci., Psych), and will be in advanced theatre (as there is no AP for that)

Can I get in on that? If not...where will that get me?

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 11:53 pm: Edit

Your teacher is dumb, there is nothing wrong with you. Guess what? The AP Lang test is a piece of cake and you can take the test without taking the class. Take english at a local college....community or private, whichever. Also, maybe you should ask your teacher what her deal is? It could be a mistake.

By Piecesofjess (Piecesofjess) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 11:54 pm: Edit

oh yeah...im a Spanish minority and a published poet.

By Congocross (Congocross) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 12:43 am: Edit

Piecesofjess, I would love to read your essays if you can send it to me at CosmoMemoryX@yahoo.com. I am too an published writer.

By Sabzevarian (Sabzevarian) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 12:54 am: Edit

Sue your teacher for discrimination

By Critical (Critical) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 10:03 am: Edit

That is really cruel what your teacher did. Don't worry about it though. Buy the AP prep books, read a lot, and take the test(s) on your own. You'll do fine. Good luck!

By Critical (Critical) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 10:03 am: Edit

That is really cruel what your teacher did. Don't worry about it though. Buy the AP prep books, read a lot, and take the test(s) on your own. You'll do fine. Good luck!

By Peach (Peach) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 12:12 pm: Edit

Did you ask why she rejected you for the class? That's crazy! Talk to a guidance counselor if she doesn't give you a real explanation. That's weird.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 12:21 pm: Edit

You and your parents need to talk to the teacher and GC and get the decision changed. If you have been getting good grades in English, that decision probably can be changed. I even wonder if the teacher accidentally checked the wrong box.

Don't take the decison lying down. Speak up.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 01:49 pm: Edit

I agree. You need to find out "why" and go around, if necessary. One the more difficult things in life is to learn when to make a stink and when not to...and lots of adults still get it wrong.

Push on this one y vaya con Dios.

By Momx3 (Momx3) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 02:04 pm: Edit

Don't despair. Believe in yourself. You can still take the AP exam by registering for the exam in March. You do not need the teacher's permission or have taken the course to do this. Buy the AP book and get the class reading list. That way you can still talk to other students outside of calss regarding the material. Just think how great that will be on your college app. if you show that you were so motivated to do it yourself. My nephew did this with US history, scored a 5 and got into Swarthmore early decision. Good Luck

By Piecesofjess (Piecesofjess) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 05:53 pm: Edit

Here's the thing - you have to write a timed essay to get into the AP (which I did). I know I didn't write a very strong essay that day (we ALL have our off days), but I KNOW I'm a stronger English student than some of the kids that were accepted. I would just take the AP, but I'm not interested in taking the course to get into college, i just want the stimulating discussions that the class offers. I am clearly not being challenged in english now (I'm actually taking two english electives now), and I just feel like I'm wasting my time, especially since it seems like I'm not going anywhere. It just makes me sick because I have really righteous reasons for taking the course (I genuinely love the subject), and there are people who got in over me who are taking it just because they thought another AP would look good on their Harvard app. I've alresdy spoken to the committee who made the decision and they were not responsive - my parents and I are going in for a conference in a few days.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 05:56 pm: Edit

I don't understand how a school can justify LIMITING it's students academic opportunities. Especially when said student is an excellent English student. Sounds like your school is only interested in securing good AP scores....and they think they can ensure that with an essay test, but the class is supposed to teach you how to write good essays.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 08:00 pm: Edit

Pieces...

As I said before, try to get the teacher to change her decision. If that doesn't work, go to the GC -- and enlist your parents' help.

No rules about courses are etched in stone. Also, if entrance was based on a timed essay, then that was a very subjective way of putting people into the class. That can be easily challenged if you have a strong record.

The way schools work is that the squeaky wheels get noticed and catered to -- particularly if they are assertive, have assertive parents and strong gpas.

If you do not do as I suggest, I guarantee that you'll be poed next year when you learn that weaker students than you -- and students who say they bombed the test -- are in the AP class, and you are not.

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 09:59 pm: Edit

hahaa at my school no one gets REJECTED from being in an AP class. we still have to take entrance tests but only the real dumbasses don't get in. You must be one of them

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page