Emory Chances

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Emory Chances
By David506 (David506) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 09:12 pm: Edit

Hey I am a sophomore from a South Florida School. I know its kinda early but I want to know if I have a good chance of getting into Emory, as of right now

Please also comment on what I should do or not continue to do over the next two years

4.85 weighted GPA
Tied for 2nd out of 814
I'm already in one AP (how many should i take the next two years? And which ones?)
Key Club- 2 years
Mu Alpha Theta- 2 years
SADD- 2 years
Save What's Left- 1 year
Model UN Treasurer
Class of 2005 School Advisory Council Rep.
I am also on the Newspaper Staff and am 99% sure that I will be sports editor next year
Volunteer at Hospital, February-September 2002
Teen aide at Church September- Present

Please let me know, Thanks!

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 09:23 pm: Edit

As a South Florida resident who applied to Emory I would say that as a Junior you seem to be in good shape. My main advice would be to do well on your SATs and SAT IIs while you are still a junior - that is the best time to focus on that sort of thing. Your ECs are ok, but nothing out of the ordinary. Perhaps you should try and find something to do that is exciting and unique. You might want to consider attending some sort of summer program perhaps?
Emory has something called "Emory Scholars" which is a scholarship worth a full ride. You can apply for this in your senior year but you need to make sure you are NOMINATED for it by your guidance councelor. I think if you can find some exciting ECs and 1400ish SAT scores you should be fine.
ONE THING THAT EMORY DOES LIKE IS A PROOF OF COMMITMENT TO EMORY. If you look at this years application you will see a half page section asking you about your envolvement with Emory. Since this is important to them, what I would do if I were you is get a copy of this part of the application and try to do as many of the suggested items there as possible. Emory keeps track of every contact you make with them (whether a visit or an email...) so make sure you make lots of contact with Emory over time.

If you have any specific questions pls don't hesitate to ask....
Good Luck!!

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 09:24 pm: Edit

Sorry for writting Junior, I meant Sophmore

By David506 (David506) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 09:35 pm: Edit

Cruelfate:

Thank you for your support. I am actually really interested in international relations, so i think model un was the type of club you were talking about. I just sent emory an email requesting information. That comment was very important, and if anyone else can add anything, please don't hesitate.

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 09:46 pm: Edit

Yeah... that is a good way to start. Other things you can do:
1. get on the mailing list
2. schedule a visit (perhaps overnight)
3. request a video about Emory
4. Attend a college fair that Emory will be at
5. Check if you know any Emory alumni or current students.
6. Check if Emory will vist your H.S. (they visited mine and brought with them an attendance list of all the people perviously on their mailing list)

These all appear on the application btw....

International Relations.... hmmm.... what about joining Amnesty International? In addition, there are so many summer programs that deal with international relations which are held at ver prestegous schools, you should try to attend one.
Model UN is great... go for President maybe?
Take as many APs as you can... esp. in a foreign language for international relations... maybe even join a foreign language club?

By David506 (David506) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 03:14 pm: Edit

thanks, anyone else have any advice?

By Azn_Cowboy (Azn_Cowboy) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 05:04 pm: Edit

Hey,

How does your school figure Weighted GPA? Because your Weighted GPA is impossibly high for a sophmore if your school figures Weighted GPA like my school. Nice stats though. :)

By David506 (David506) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 09:00 pm: Edit

They start off with a 4.0, they give you an extra point for honors, and another point for APs. So for example you can take all APs one year and get A's and get 6.0 for that year

By Cornellian07 (Cornellian07) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 09:26 pm: Edit

Your class rank alone can get you into Emory. As long as you get like 1300 SAT, you're practically a shoe-in.

By David506 (David506) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 09:43 pm: Edit

Thanks a lot! But I dunno if I could stay in the top 5, Cornelian, how high would i have to be for you to stick with that statement? (I mean, basically if I drop a few spots would I still be in?)

By David506 (David506) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 08:24 pm: Edit

?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page