Re: a unique situation!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Re: a unique situation!!!
By Abibored (Abibored) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 12:15 pm: Edit

Hey,
This is a compact version of my very long bio, so bear with meÖ It is relevant.
Iím just ending my Junior year of High school in a British boarding school. I am here because my fatherís job moves us around a lot. So, the family is currently residing in Beijing, China, I am here, and we are all American citizens!
My school is pretty exclusive, and among the top 20 schools in the UKÖ If u wanna just see what I mean, itís at: www.cheltladiescollege.org My grades compared to my peers arenít exactly amazing due to the competitive edge, but I donít lack common sense, at least. I have a pretty wide-ranging extra-curricular scene, although I am one of the few people here who still understand what that means!!! I am captain of the Judo club, although I have never entered an external competition. I am a member of the school basketball team, despite my meager height of 5 foot 2. I also attend the Philosophy Society, and sing in the Choral Society. Unlike other schools, we are examined under the AS levels currently, NOT the International Baccalaureate. I am studying English Literature, Philosophy & Ethics, Biology, and History. In all of these subjects, I am predicted higher than a B, which should count for something since they could be seen as a higher standard than ur basic high school courses.
Iíve only taken my PSATs so far, but I am planning to take the actual SAT Is and IIs within the next 3 months. My PSAT score was a 55 in Verbal, 56 in Math and 51 in Writing skills. Take note that these scores were achieved without any preparation, during one of my school breaks.
I hope to study Philosophy and Psychology back home in the US. Iím thinking of applying to the following schools: Brown (early decision); Dartmouth, Duke, Ithaca, and I havenít decided on 2 safety colleges yetÖ. Any ideas? I know the schools stated above might seem too ambitious, but thatís why I am askin if I really have a chance. What would my standing be among other applicants????
Thanks for your time!!!

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 05:37 pm: Edit

Improve your SAT score.
That's what you have to worry about before you decided which college to go.

By Zulu (Zulu) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 02:44 pm: Edit

The SAT score is a prerequisite to getting into the schools you mentioned. Score at least a 1400, preferably with a high verbal score since you seem, from your list of colleges, to be a non-techy applicant. You have it all, besides test scores, so I'd concentrate on getting them. Contrary to what some people will tell you, in your case at least, where you have nothing extraordinary with respect to extracurricular activities or sport, the SAT will be the deciding factor. Let me repeat myself, study your ass off for the SAT, because those who do well on the SATs, statistically speaking, do well in college, and, more importantly, because college admissions officers find it very difficult -- no matter how much they WANT to take a "holistic" view to your candidacy -- to turn the blind-eye to the this correlation between SAT scores and college performance. Furthermore, from what I have read on the college admissions process, far too many applicants to elite colleges -- almost all -- have great school grades, whereas a SIGNIFICANTLY smaller number have high SAT scores, making the SAT, warts and all, the only way to discern between the many OTHERWISE academically equivalent students.

Also, from a person who has gone up hundreds of points on the SATs, the SAT are preparable and don't listen to any fool who contrives to lower your morale by telling you that the SAT is an IQ test or a test of aptitude that can't be studied for.

I hope I made myself clear. Did this help?

By Pat57575 (Pat57575) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 05:42 pm: Edit

Zulu, would you mind posting your original score and score after studying? Just curious...

By Abibored (Abibored) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 09:05 am: Edit

Kool, thanx for the tips. About the SATs... Any tips on getting those scores? ...Besides the practice tests? Someone joked about readin the dictionary... Any less.... um... boring ideas?

By Jumbo (Jumbo) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 09:06 pm: Edit

the only way is just practice. there are no secrets (other than the prep courses secrets, but a lot of it can be self-discovered)

By Lnacen (Lnacen) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 11:25 pm: Edit

Cool, you go to Cheltenham? I was really serious about going there, but we didnt end up having the finances. How is the atmosphere?
Anyways, just study real hard for the SATs, you've got it all.But I caution you to not stress too much about getting a particuar score. As long as your in the range (1300-1400) your fine

By Abibored (Abibored) on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 09:48 am: Edit

Woah, Lnacen? Small world. Yeah, its great, just the academic competition is rough. Its a gorgeous campus n all, and the staff are great. Yeah, finances are pretty rough... Why? Where ru now?

I've just registered to be takin the SATs in May n June...the latter being in the middle of my AS exams.... We'll see what happens! Plus, I've always got another shot before November!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page