The Wacky World of Admissions...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: The Wacky World of Admissions...
By Troy (Troy) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 08:59 pm: Edit

I went to my old high school today and after talking to all my old teachers and some current seniors, I must admit that the admissions process is extremely odd...I really feel bad for all you seniors that have to deal with all the anxiety this month...and just remember, whatever happens...just keep on working hard and good things will come.

I never realized it when I was a senior years ago but admissions can be more about politics than qualifications.

For example: My old high school is a public school in the Los Angeles area. A few years ago 3 kids got accepted to Stanford from my high school and all of them declined. From that point on, no senior from my high school has gotten into stanford in the past 7 years (with exception of one legacy and one super genius this year...who also won't be going to Tree school). And if you don't think the kids at this high school are stanford material, please realize that we are sending 5 kids to Harvard this year alone. That is no small feat for a public high school in an extremely competitive geographic region. And yet the only people to get into stanford from my high school in the past 10 years are kids who the university had an 'obligation' to accept (like I mentioned earlier one kid is a legacy and the other kid happened to take 7 online stanford math courses during his high school career...receiving A's in all of them)

Moral of the story: Keep on trucking kids...sometimes Sh!t happens.

By Sar (Sar) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 07:49 pm: Edit

*nods* I heard from somewhere that colleges hate rejections as much as we do. Declinations to take their offers contribute to decreasing their national ratings. They look at apps thru regional reps, don't they? Those reps might take some things personally...

Since I started looking into colleges last year, I have formed the impression that colleges are looking for more than mere qualifications in numbers--in fact, those who do just look at numbers are looked down upon by applicants and other schools... some reasons are: prep courses, grade inflation, prefunctorily formed clubs... as the applicant pool changes, so must the acceptance procedures. Nobody wants a rag doll in the school, since the counselors must be busy enough already...

*drools* 7 A-math courses at Stanford? Sh!t.
I'd be happy with one acceptance. I really don't want to have to choose. <:o)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page