BU, Tulane, or RPI???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: BU, Tulane, or RPI???
By Megan485 (Megan485) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 08:32 pm: Edit

well, due to the fact that i have been rejected from mit and expect letters of similar quality from cornell, harvard, and brown, i have begun to check into my back ups. bleeeeehhhhh. is bu any good for bioengineering? i heard that tulane has a decent eng program, but also a *huge* party school. as for RPI, does it even carry a name, so to speak? ehhh.... do you think that if i did really well at bu (or whereever) i could perhaps transfer into mit or harvard, etc? or is there just no hope at all...future domestication.

By Gettingnowhere (Gettingnowhere) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 08:44 pm: Edit

Many people told me that RPI is quite famous for its engineering in the northeast(well what else does it have?), I don't know much about its bioengineering though. It also has a good name among engineers.

By Megan485 (Megan485) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 11:25 am: Edit

bump

By Creatorcat (Creatorcat) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 01:37 pm: Edit

I'd say Tulane is GREAT for bioengineering...
a close friend of mine has recently finished bioeng. undergrad studies at Tulane and his mouth are full of nothing but great suff about the school. It is a major party school, but as someone said it too in some thread here, it's a MAJOR engineering/research school. Also, it's always great to have good academic opportunities as well as opportunities for fun, and it's a personal challenge to combine both, reasonably. BUT! bear in mind that there are a lot of dropouts after first year... Yup, it's definitely challenging.

By the way, that fiend of mine managed to have a greeeeeat time in Tulane and NOLA, and now he's doing masters at Princeton (molecular biology research) and basically Princeton is paying him $30,000 annually for the studies and research, as I recall. He had a 3,9 GPA at Tulane and he misses the university life there and the city more than anything, now that he's in suburban Princeton.

Personally, I wouldn't regard Tulane merely as a back-up... Ok, it's not an Ivy obviously, but I reckon you'd have a great experience there as well... I'm considering attending Tulane also, but that depends on their finaid offer, which I havent' got yet..

Best of luck with the decision, I hope I gave a bit of an insight!

By Creatorcat (Creatorcat) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 01:43 pm: Edit

I'd say Tulane is GREAT for bioengineering...
a close friend of mine has recently finished bioeng. undergrad studies at Tulane and his mouth are full of nothing but great suff about the school. It is a major party school, but as someone said it too in some thread here, it's a MAJOR engineering/research school. Also, it's always great to have good academic opportunities as well as opportunities for fun, and it's a personal challenge to combine both, reasonably. BUT! bear in mind that there are a lot of dropouts after first year... Yup, it's definitely challenging.

By the way, that fiend of mine managed to have a greeeeeat time in Tulane and NOLA, and now he's doing masters at Princeton (molecular biology research) and basically Princeton is paying him $30,000 annually for the studies and research, as I recall. He had a 3,9 GPA at Tulane and he misses the university life there and the city more than anything, now that he's in suburban Princeton.

Personally, I wouldn't regard Tulane merely as a back-up... Ok, it's not an Ivy obviously, but I reckon you'd have a great experience there as well... I'm considering attending Tulane also, but that depends on their finaid offer, which I havent' got yet..

Best of luck with the decision, I hope I gave a bit of an insight!

By Doctort (Doctort) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 04:04 pm: Edit

MIT is the west point of engineering schools and RPI is the naval academy of engineering schools. RPI has a great name. It is the oldest engineering college in the country and is excellent in engineering. It's not on par w/ Caltech and MIT. But is just below those schools along w/ Cornell, Stanford, and a couple others. Definately apply and hope you get in. RPI beats BU and Tulane in engineering and reputation. BU isn't really known for engineering cause it's not that great. Tulane isn't really known for anything really, but RPI is a polytechnic school so it's good.

By Creatorcat (Creatorcat) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 05:51 pm: Edit

sorry for double posting
doctort: I don't know much about RPI, but I'd agree with all that you've just said.. inluding the things about Tulane. As much as I like it, I can't say it's REALLY WELL KNOWN for this or that... Which surely doesn't make it bad in any way, one must admit. I think it's just very good for everything it offers academically...

to megan: it's really up to you and the kind of place you're looking for..

By Cornellian07 (Cornellian07) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 06:19 pm: Edit

It really depends on what you want to major in. I live near RPI and I applied there, and I also know some professors there. So I know quite a bit about the school. I can tell you it's an excellent school for engineering or any sciences. If you want to major in english or psychology or something, don't go there. The other two schools, I don't know much about.

By Kenowhere (Kenowhere) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 08:59 pm: Edit

I will be a freshman at the Tulane University School of Engineering majoring in biomedical engineering (already sent the three hundred dollar fee and registration materials).

Currently, I am working fulltime at the Georgetown School of Medicine as a bioinformatics programmer (I know Java, C++, Javascript, DHTML, CSS, MySQL, PHP, Perl, and SQL). I already have met one of the fathers of biomedical engineering (Dr. Robert Ledley, invented the full body CAT scan and the automated process to run the hybridization of DNA) since he is the director of the bioinformatics/biophysics program at the Georgetown Medical School (I see him almost daily). I also communicate with doctorates around the world that have decided to converge at Georgetown. All of them (of those of whom I've asked) agreed that Tulane has an OUTSTANDING program that will set you up for anything in biomedical engineering/biophysics. Consider things like the Harvard medical school and MIT Engineering for graduate school once you graduate from Tulane, it truly is recognized internationally (certainly at Georgetown's School of Medicine). The Gorman Ranking was correct for placing Tulane as the #6 biomedical engineering school in the nation(and rising). Tulane's class sizes are small and the professors are more willing to conduct research with undergraduates I hear.

BTW, Newt Gingrich (I know, I know) leads the leading political nano-tech coalition in the country and is an alumni of Tulane University. Ever since the coalition has been formed, Tulane has received excellent funding from NSF (National Science Foundation(go to their site and check funding by keyword (Ex. materials engineering, recombinant DNA, tissue engineering, etc).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page