Wondering when I will hear from Cornell

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Wondering when I will hear from Cornell
By Stxrower (Stxrower) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 07:33 pm: Edit

I'm a rower from Cincinnati, Ohio. My SAT was 1380 (710 Math, 670 Verbal) and I was deferred by the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at Cornell, with my intended major being Applied Economics and Management. I have a 90.2 (about a 3.9 unweighted GPA) out of 100 average with 4 AP's (scores were 5 - US History, 4 - AB Calc, 4 - Spanish Lang, 5 - Spanish Lit) over the last four years. My SAT II's were 610, 630, 650, and 670 in Biology, Math IC, Writing, and US History, respectively. I have played the trumpet in two bands at my school, and at church for four years in addition to being a four-year varsity letter winner on the rowing team. I also swam for two years, lettering twice. I have tutored freshmen at my school in Spanish for two years and am tutoring in Math this year. Lastly, I am in the National Honor Society and National Spanish Honor Society.
As for Community Service, I have been involved with community service groups at my church and school for four years, and have taken two ten-day mission trips to California and New Orleans, in which we worked with underpriveleged children and did rehab work on houses, not to mention forming special friendships with the children who we helped.

The Lightweight Rowing coaches at Cornell are helping me, I am about the 6th recruit on their list.

Does Cornell typically reexamine their deferred candidates last? CALS began rolling out decisions on Feb. 15th, so I'm starting to get nervous. Help me on this one, thanks!

By Cornellian07 (Cornellian07) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 07:51 pm: Edit

You seem to be a reasonably qualified candidate. Everything seems to be somewhat on-par with Cornell's standards, except your SAT 2's. But I think your recruitment should make up for that. Also, the state funded schools are hard to get into for an out-of-stater. I talked to their lightweight coach at the Charles, and I think he said he recruits 8 rowers for lightweight. I ended up not getting recruited, but I do know a little bit about their rowing program, as I am a rower myself, going there next year. Although I'm not sure if I'm gonna join the team or not. What kind of erg score did you get?

By Cornellian07 (Cornellian07) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 07:54 pm: Edit

Sorry, I went off on an extreme tangent there. To answer your question, I am surprised Cornell hasn't responded to you yet. The private schools respond to their applicants on April 1, so you will definitely hear from them by then.

By Stxrower (Stxrower) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 08:23 pm: Edit

I got my time down to a 6:47 this winter, the coach keeps telling me to stay in touch.

By Cru (Cru) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 12:25 am: Edit

Don't worry...
One day...
We will throw out all the worries and be happy to find out that we've been accpeted.

By Weidamengxing (Weidamengxing) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 01:03 am: Edit

cru, have u got in anywhere yet?

By Rohitram01 (Rohitram01) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 06:45 pm: Edit

I am also awaiting a letter from Cornell... hopefully we would know our status if we don't hear anything from Cornell by the second week of April... I just don't like waiting that long. Good luck to all. Hope we meet each other at Cornell.

By Cru (Cru) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Accepted to Umich, UIUC, Purdue engineering

By Natep (Natep) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 09:34 pm: Edit

Stxrower, I was accepted to AEM early decision. Your stats seem very similar to mine. hope to see you next year

By Megan485 (Megan485) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 01:15 am: Edit

I am glad that not everyone that applied to cornell had like 1500+ with 5 billion community service hours. I am definitely not that, and since mit is out of the picture, cornell is my second choice.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page