My chances ???????????

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: My chances ???????????
By Lefthanded_Acer (Lefthanded_Acer) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 01:09 pm: Edit

hi,
i'm an international student( lived in austria, bhutan, vietnam, india 3 years each) currently doing my year 1 (engineering) at the national university of singapore(NUS). I want to change to US unis. I had planned this before coming to NUS but came here coz of other reasons. I have an SAT 1 of 1380(710m 670 v) and SAT 2 ( 800 physics, 760 maths and 680 writing). I did my high school in Vietnam doing the International Baccalaureate course (IB) and got 37 points in that( math HL 6, physics HL 6 and history HL 6,chemistry SL 7, ENG A1 5, French AB 5).

ECA
Chief Editor, Hall Publications( NUS).

Hall Captain, Tennis( NUS)
Table Tennis Zonals Winner( Vietnam)
MRISA international schools sports exchange, badminton singles champion. (vietnam)

my problem is that i want admission to a good university but costwise i can afford only max 15,000 a year. So i want to know which reasonably good unis can i get in with a high chance of getting financial aid , especially since its hard to get aid for int'll students.... i dont want to target the ivy leagues coz they are out of range.. but below that anything...
plz help me out.

thanx

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 02:17 pm: Edit

Raise your SAT a bit and ivies won't look out of reach. Getting into NUS/NTU is quite a competition in itself.

By Dwaynehoover (Dwaynehoover) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 09:38 pm: Edit

omg SAT's are only important to a certain extent, once you get a 1400 --- you are pretty much in the with most of the pack that gets accepted to Ivys. Check the statistics you idiots.

By Tuannguyen (Tuannguyen) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 10:11 pm: Edit

When you're an international student you need to look more attractive than the rest, especially if you aim for anything at the top. Most of those who apply to the Ivies are qualified. So you need to have way higher than a 1400, unless you have something really good to offer them.

Lefthanded Acer, are you Vietnamese? Just curious. The SATs are easy if you study for them enough, i know you're not supposed to study, but everyone studies anyways. I have a friend who got in the low 1300s his first try, studied like hell for 3 months and got a perfect score his second try! Of course the guy had no life for about 3 months (he was also studying for the SAT IIs though, and scored mainly in the high 700s and a few 800s), it's not out of reach if you really want it and work for it.

By Kacey9290 (Kacey9290) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 10:01 am: Edit

If you don't want to target the Ivies, you might want to look into really good state universities. They are a lot cheaper and might fit into your range. however, they don't give financial aid to international students, but if their tuition is less than 15000 you wouldn't need it. Here's a couple:

Purdue (really good engineering, I thought about applying, but my budget is 10,000 so I absolutely needed the aid)
University of North Carolina Chapel Hll
University of Michigan
Rice University (not state, but relatively cheap, I think)
Georgia Tech (its considered a "best buy")

Oh, by the way, just a thought, have you ever thought about Canada. There are pretty good schools there and it is sooo much cheaper. (I applied to the University of Guelph since I can afford it even if they don't give me aid, and my limit is 10000 plus expenses.) UBC is good, but more expensive, so is the University of Toronto. Good luck on your searches

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 11:59 am: Edit

Hey out there. Rice, just a clarification, has an annual price of about $25,000 a year. Cheaper than some others, but still not within budget for lots of people.

By Kacey9290 (Kacey9290) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 05:17 am: Edit

oops, so sorry. I think after I found out Rice gave zero aid to international students I stopped researching about it. Forget that I mentioned it

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 05:53 am: Edit

true, kacey, but they give merit schols. I dunno how hard to get tho..... (for internationals that is...)

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 07:09 am: Edit

As far as Canada is concerned, the University of Waterloo has a top-notch engineering program. Certainly think about retaking the SATs if you're interested in the ivies. For most schools, NUS engg program is well-recognized.

By Lefthanded_Acer (Lefthanded_Acer) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 03:48 am: Edit

thanx for the numerous replies.... uni of michigan is quite expensive.... 34000 a year.... more cheaper ones? also, is it hard to get in as a transfer student?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page