Woohoo! Got into MIT (Asian male!)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Woohoo! Got into MIT (Asian male!)
By Chronoshock (Chronoshock) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 12:33 am: Edit

Heard from them on Saturday, I'm pretty happy as it is my first choice :)
I am a Chinese-American male going to a Massachusetts public school,
GPA: 4.0 unweighted, 8.721 weighted (on a 9.000 pt scale)
Standardized testing:
SAT I: 780V/800M
SAT II: 800MIIC, 800Chem, 760Writing
National Merit Scholarship Finalist (230 PSAT)
Activities:
Math Team 3 years, Captain this year
Science Team 2 years
Table Tennis 2 years
Volunteer Administrator of a group of forums 3 years
Awards:
Bausch and Lomb Honorary Science Award
2 writing nominations (school-based award)
High scorer on AMC and Math Olympiad
Good recommendations, one from a Harvard/MIT professor (I worked with him during a summer internship at his lab)
Strong essay (IMO) about diversity

So there we have it. I really wasn't sure if I was going to be accepted since I have not done anything involving sports, music, or community service, but apparently it all worked out.

By Plmehopeful (Plmehopeful) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 12:38 am: Edit

congrats, my friends are all still waiting cuz we're in california! one has very similar stats, test scores and all.

By Ml41588 (Ml41588) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 04:57 pm: Edit

Congratulations!

By Ml41588 (Ml41588) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 04:57 pm: Edit

Congratulations!

By Congocross (Congocross) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 05:03 pm: Edit

Good luck, always good to hear an acceptance. Chrono Cross, if we put our names together

By Notegirl15 (Notegirl15) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 02:19 am: Edit

Just out of curiosity, could you explain the "out of 9.0" thing? Does it just mean that it is on a 4.0 scale, but with the tremendous number of AP's that your school has, it is possible to get a 9.0? Just a little confused... =/

By Rowan (Rowan) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 04:45 pm: Edit

Not that I know about Chronoshock's particular situation, but here's my submission to your question, Notegirl:

Honors and/or AP course, possibly even college courses, can earn you 9 points for an A+, and so on down the line. I would fathom it's like the usual 5.0 system, except up to 9.0.

Just a guess, though. I admit I'm curious, too, Chronoshock.

And definitely congrats. :)

By Chronoshock (Chronoshock) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 06:47 pm: Edit

Here is the progression for A/B/C/D (F = 0 regardless of curriculum)
Honors/AP 9/8/7/6
Curriculum I 8/7/6/5
Curriculum II 7/6/5/4
I think D's may be lower, but I don't remember. At my school you do not get any "bonus points" for taking an AP. So far I have gotten all A's (hence the 4.0 unweighted GPA) and I took one AP last year, three this year. In our school's history, only one person has recieved a 9.0 GPA. There are usually 3-4 students each year that have above an 8.7 GPA. In a class of 600 people, that's pretty good hehe :)

By Mothball (Mothball) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 08:25 am: Edit

chronoshock, would u mind typing in the first paragraph of your acceptance letter...or anyone who got into MIT, could u please type in ur acceptance letter. i think i got a slightly different letter from other ppl, but i just want to check.. thanks!

By Chronoshock (Chronoshock) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 07:15 pm: Edit

"Dear XXXXX:
On behalf of the Admissions Committee, it is my pleasure to offer you admission to the MIT Class of 2007. You were identified as one of the most talented and promising students in one of MIT's most competitive applicant pools ever. Your commitment to personal excellence makes you stand out as someone who will contribute to our diverse community and who will thrive within our academic environment. At MIT, you join kindred spirits: scholars, builders, entrepreneurs, and humanitarians. We are well matched for each other"

What's your AIM SN mothball?

By Mothball (Mothball) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 10:00 pm: Edit

partyatwills

By Mothball (Mothball) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 10:01 pm: Edit

what's urs?

haha and yeah my letter is just like that.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page