UC - the system inhibits my chances at UCB?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: UC - the system inhibits my chances at UCB?
By Quarky (Quarky) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 10:29 am: Edit

I was just wondering... I am an out-of-state applicant to UC Davis and UC Berkeley. I already got accepted to UC Davis, but my UCB stats are about borderline, especially for a non-resident.

I heard that the UC System tries to admit a student to A UC school. Does that mean that since I got accepted to Davis, I will now be rejected from Berkeley? Should I have applied to Berkeley only so that this would be the only school that the UC system could admit me to?

In other words, were my chances at Berkeley hurt by applying and being accepted to Davis?

By Plmehopeful (Plmehopeful) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 03:04 pm: Edit

No

By Militarygrade (Militarygrade) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 03:12 pm: Edit

Nope.

By Mzinn (Mzinn) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 06:33 pm: Edit

They try to ensure UC-eligible California residents admission to at least one of the campuses they applied to.

Your chances were not hurt.

By Notegirl15 (Notegirl15) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 07:11 pm: Edit

Applying only to UCB would not have bettered your chances. The statement the UC's make is if you meet the qualifications, you will be guaranteed a spot at one of the UC campuses. If you only apply to UCB, you still might not get in, but by applying to all UC's (though I'm not sure this is what you want), you will get in somewhere.

I'm not entirely certain, but I think if you only applied to a couple of UC's and were rejected from all of them, you may be able to appeal to the UC system, and they will accept you elsewhere (even if you didn't apply to that location).

But keep in mind, this is only for in-state applicants.

By Quarky (Quarky) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 10:34 pm: Edit

OK, thanks for the input everybody.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page