UCSD chances

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: UCSD chances
By Dts (Dts) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 01:58 pm: Edit

HI i am a senior at a very competetive high school in the bay area.

I already got accepted to davis and calpoly under engineering.

However, i got rejected from davis.
One of my friends got rejected from davis as well,
his stats were :
gpa - 3.7 weighted
sat 1 - 1510
sat 2's - 760, 740, 600
pretty much typical applicant, but i would think he would get into davis wouldn't he?

my stats are
gpa - 3.55 weighted
sat 1 - 1320
sat 2's - 720 writing, 730 math 2c, 670 bio.
i taken many honors and AP classes in high shool and an pretty much academic other than varsity tennis and a few work experiences.

i was wondering how come some of my friends, with lesser scores got into davis, but me and my friend didnt?

also..how come UCLA admitted one student, but he got rejected by UCI. He was all academic also, so could not have been recruitment or something else.

i would like to know what my chances are at ucsd with these stats.

By Alex123 (Alex123) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 06:30 pm: Edit

It really depends on the major. The biomed and engineering majors are pretty hard to get into for UCSD. It also sort of matters on the school. UCSD likes taking student from its list of top feeder schools.

Oh just wondering and for reference: are you a student of Monta Vista, Lynbrook, Saratoga, Homestead or Gunn?

"I already got accepted to davis and calpoly under engineering.

However, i got rejected from davis."
What do you mean by that?

As for your friend, he seems over-qualified lol. I have no idea why he would be rejected.

By Dts (Dts) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 08:03 pm: Edit

ya does anybody know if the UC's are talking alot this year for accepting people?

like will they reject you for irvine if you are overqualified and give you UCLA ?

it seems like this is happening for a few people.

oh and i meant " i already got into irvine and calpoly under engineering"

i applied UCSD undeclared... how hard is it for me to get in with my stats?

i go to mission san jose high school in fremont

By Mzinn (Mzinn) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 08:23 pm: Edit

I personally think that idea about being overqualified is BS. It might be so for colleges in 2nd or 3rd tier rankings in USNEWS that are trying to move up by lowering their acceptance rates but I doubt the UCs do that. Comprehensive review means ALL of your application is taken into consideration. If you're weak in one area then obviously your chances decrease.

This really sux but my counselor said the acceptance rate for UCSD is going to go down alot this year. It's because last year the amount of students enrolling went up 50% over the previous year. All the statitics are on www.ucop.edu/pathways somewhere, I remember reading them there.

either way, good luck!

By L76 (L76) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 09:03 pm: Edit

It's too bad you and your friend were both rejected from UC Davis. I have lower scores than both of you, yet I was accepted, probably, if your theory is correct, because I am more the "UC Davis" kind of person, statistically (i.e. I am more likely to go as opposed to the 1500/4.0 person). But I was rejected from UCLA, so it goes both ways.

By Olive_Oil (Olive_Oil) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 10:12 pm: Edit

Just curious~what school in the bay area do you go to?

By Dts (Dts) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 10:39 pm: Edit

i go to mission san jose high school in fremont

By Alex123 (Alex123) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 03:34 pm: Edit

http://ugr8.ucsd.edu/sriweb/enroll/ffhs.pdf

Maybe this will help ease a bit of your tensions.

Mission San Jose is a pretty good school 7/10 out of API rankings (2001). Nonetheless, the fact that you're from such a competitive school will help you.

Good luck.

By Dts (Dts) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 03:59 pm: Edit

how much will it help ? = /

By Subjecttochange (Subjecttochange) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 04:11 pm: Edit

no, UC's don't reject people for overqualification especially if you are in-state. You'll be surprised how many brilliant people go to UC's for the cheaper cost.

I think I have decent stats, and I got nominated for a regent scholarship at all three UC's that I applied to.

So, to sum it up, NOT because of overqualification.

By Ephnayllie (Ephnayllie) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 08:45 pm: Edit

These are the stats I found on UC pathways: San Diego -- Freshman applicants last year 40,962. Freshman applicants this year 43,196. The percent change is 5.5 %

Good luck! I applied there myself.

By Dts (Dts) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 12:42 am: Edit

thx let me know if u get in :)

By Dts (Dts) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 05:59 pm: Edit

does any1 know when ucsd comes out?

By Dts (Dts) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 08:58 pm: Edit

yea true, but still a tough school

By Booboo2 (Booboo2) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 09:02 pm: Edit

i was wondering, if you see a school's list of most popular majors, does that mean those are its largest programs, or that they are majors most applicants choose on the application?

By Ephnayllie (Ephnayllie) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 01:51 am: Edit

I heard they mailed the letters on Friday. Should be getting them either tomorrow or Thursday.

By Chenny (Chenny) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 10:09 pm: Edit

I got into UC San Diego Engineering

My stats are posted in the "Who got into UCLA" posting.

By Ibman (Ibman) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 09:37 am: Edit

geeze...so many qualified ppl getting rejected from UC schools...UC schools aren't that good r they?...I mean...compared to Stanford...i dunno..im just rambling. Anywho...I'm a non-resident International/American student who applied to a whole bunch of UC schools...I got in to UCLA and UCSD no problem. My stats aren't that good either. Strange.

I also applied as a Mol. Cell Bio major for UCSD and i hear that department is popular as well. I guess this just goes to show you that luck plays an important role in everything.

PS. Hey Dts, tell your friend he shoulda applied to Stanford...I can't believe he didn't get into UC davis...geez...I mean with his stats (and yours) the UC schools should be like safeties...

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 01:35 pm: Edit

UC schools are very underrated by those who know nothing about them. Berekely vs. Stanford comes down to "Which major?" and "What environment?" Both schools have formidably good faculty.

UCLA is a sleeper as graduate school: it's the #3 school in the country for science and engineering research grants, ahead of Stanford, Harvard, MIT, Michigan, and MIT, among others, which ought to tell you something.

There are strong undergraduate opportunties for research in genetics, neuroscience, and bioengineering.

By Ibman (Ibman) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 08:23 am: Edit

UCLA...really....I went over to Stanford and managed to have a chat with a biology professor there (talk about lucky...) and she admited that the biology department and research opportunities at UCSD were just as good as in Stanford which frankly shocked me (she was very open about it)...

In terms of research grants Stanford and Johns Hopkins are up there as well...its a shame JHU is in baltimore tho

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 01:40 pm: Edit

YIKES...UCSD rejected me...

stats:
1470 SAT 1
800 iic, 800 chem, 780 writing

a bunch of ecs... im too confused to list..

engineering major, i feel like i have no shot at UCB now...any opinions on that? im international.. so that acts against my favor as well.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 06:08 pm: Edit

The top UC's are tough for international. UCSD is only one percent; both UCLA and UCB are three percent.

By Ryuji (Ryuji) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 07:04 pm: Edit

Hey, Chermiel,
I think we're in the same boat...I got rejected from UCSD too.
I'm Indonesian Chinese.
Stats: SAT 1: 1530(M:800, V:730)
SAT II: 800 M2C, 750Chem, 730 Writing
Took GCE O-level and A-level....top 5% of 800 students
A number of ECs, Math n Science as well as other awards..engineering major as well.
But I got accepted by UCLA.
Which makes me wonder...I thought UCLA is more selective than UCSD.
Don't worry, I think we still have a decent chance in UCB, considering they accept more international students than UCSD.
Good luck for your College admissions

By Fireflower (Fireflower) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 10:11 pm: Edit

Is it hard to get in out-of-state?

By Icex1 (Icex1) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 10:38 pm: Edit

If you two dudes who got rejected are from out of state, that might be it. They also might have rejected you because they feel that there is no way you would enroll at UCSD based on your stats so it's just a strategical move to boost their percent yield which is very important in college rankings. They might have just messed up too, with that many apps, a few good ones could slip by.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page