Waitlisted at MIT

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Waitlisted at MIT
By Tedhammond (Tedhammond) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 01:01 pm: Edit

Got the thin letter today. Do they waitlist everyone who doesn't get in? Are my chances now slim to none?

-Ted

By Gettingnowhere (Gettingnowhere) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 01:06 pm: Edit

May I ask where you live and what are your stats?

By Tedhammond (Tedhammond) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 01:10 pm: Edit

Live in MA, which is why I got it today.

Here are my highlights:
SAT1 math: 800, verbal: 710
SAT2: math 2c: 800, physics: 760, writing: 710
High ranking in class, Rensselaer Medal, Yale Book Award, National Honor Society, Lead Alto in Jazz Band, Concertmaster in Concert Band, volunteer work. There's more but I'm not in the mood to post it.

-Ted

By Pancake (Pancake) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 01:11 pm: Edit

usnews and world report--

Qualified applicants placed on waiting list: 564
Applicants accepting a place on waiting list: 156
Students enrolled from waiting list: 122

where do you live? didn't they just send the letters out yesterday?

By Tedhammond (Tedhammond) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 01:12 pm: Edit

Hey those numbers are encouraging!

-Ted

By Gettingnowhere (Gettingnowhere) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 01:14 pm: Edit

You have my sympathies here, Ted...My SAT I is lower than yours and my EC's are not nearly as stellar...So I guess I was rejected, no need for the mail. Wish you get in eventually!

By Pancake (Pancake) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 01:18 pm: Edit

what are the stipulations of the waitlist? when do they tell you when you've either been admitted or not?

By Tedhammond (Tedhammond) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 01:24 pm: Edit

Don't give up Gettingnowhere. I've come to the conclusion that college admissions are completely random.

Pancake: Here's the letter I got:

"Dear Ted,

The Admissions Committee has finished the selection process for this year. While we are unable to offer you admission at this time, we have placed you on our Waiting List. As you probably know, this is the list of candidates to whom we will offer admission if we have space.

We admitted just 16% of the strongest applicant pool in our history. Not all of those admitted will choose to enroll, so it is possible that we will be able to admit some candidates from our Waiting List. Over the years we have taken anywhere from one to 150 from the list. But I urge you to pursue other alternatives, because there is no guarantee we will go to our Waiting List this year.

Please complete and return the enclosed card by April 25 to indicate whether or not you wish to stay on the Waiting List. If space becomes available, the admissions Committe will reconvene to make its final selections, since the list is not currently ranked. If you choose to stay on the Waiting List, we will let you know how things look by late May.

Whatever your choice, and whatever the final outcome, we think you are terrific and we offer you our best wishes for the future. [aww how sweet]

Sincerely,
Marilee Jones
Dean of Admissions"

By Pancake (Pancake) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 01:36 pm: Edit

thanks for typing all that up ted

By John (John) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 01:59 pm: Edit

That's odd. I live in MA 20 miles from Boston, and didn't get anything from MIT today. I have to say that my stats were very similar to yours, except with more ECs and lower class rank. 800 Math, 710 Verbal, 800 IIc, 750 Chem, 740 Bio, 700 Writing.

12 sport athlete, 6 varsity track seasons. Various state level medals. VP of schools Business Club, National Honors Society. I've had a few internships over the past few summers. Some community service stuff.

Where in MA do you live? Best of luck to you on the wait list.

By Tedhammond (Tedhammond) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 02:06 pm: Edit

Winchester

By John (John) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 02:09 pm: Edit

I have a question about wait listings, if they let you know in late May, how does that work with other colleges? Can you tell a college that you are attending unless you get off the MIT waitlist?

By John (John) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 02:11 pm: Edit

I guess the extra 10 miles from Boston makes all the difference.

By Randy80016 (Randy80016) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 01:08 am: Edit

I assume you just are just out the $300 or whatever it is deposit to go to another school- A pretty good deal for still getting in to MIT I think. Assuming you do.

12Hours till I know- hopefully. hehe

By Ephnayllie (Ephnayllie) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 02:40 am: Edit

What was your GPA, Ted -- if you don't mind me asking? Thanks.

By Mothball (Mothball) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 04:28 pm: Edit

I got in!!! :) :) :)

By Wanksta33 (Wanksta33) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 07:16 pm: Edit

Pancake-

Do you have a link for that waitlist statistic or is it from the book?

By Tedhammond (Tedhammond) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 08:42 pm: Edit

My gpa is about 4.15 on a weighted scale

Also, I wonder if the waitlist stats from US News are correct. I can't see a reason why so many people would not put themselves on the waiting list. I would have thought that the number eligible would be very close to the number accepting a place.

-Ted

By Gettingnowhere (Gettingnowhere) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 08:55 pm: Edit

"Applicants accepting a place on waiting list: 156"

--I think this should be how many people are ACCEPTED from the waiting list, not the number of people who stay in the waiting list. Because if it is the other way around, can you imagine almost everyone on the list got accepted in the end?

And I got waitlisted also. No big deal.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page