Take a look, thanks

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Take a look, thanks
By K516 (K516) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 10:21 am: Edit

i'm an asian american studying at a really competitive high school in north jersey.

by the end of my junior year, i'll probably have around a 3.6-3.7 unweighted gpa, and a 4.0-4.1 weighted (valedictorian here usually has a 4.5).

i've taken two AP classes (physics b and us history), and the rest are honors.

sat i is a 1520, sat iis: math i and iic - 800, physics - 780, writing - 800.

i've participated in two church mission trips (one in mexico, one in paraguay), and i've been volunteering at a local hospital for a while (i'd guess around maybe a hundred seventy-five hours).

i study music at a pre-college division in ny, and have studied taekwondo in the past (black belt status).

one problem i have is that i don't involve myself in a lot of high school after school activities since most of the activities' competitions are on saturday (i have music school every saturday). i'm only a member of the school's music honor society, and a writer for my high school newspaper.

another, greater issue of mine is that i have a B-on my report card (even more sad, 5 B range grades and 5 A range grades at the end of my soph year, and 9 A range grades and 6 B range grades by the end of this year as a junior). My school has this really horrible grading system where quarterly grades of C B B B is a B- (got the C in the first quarter due to lack of participation) regardless if you have 89s in those three B quarters.

my grades definitely aren't stellar, but i've tried to make that up with test scores and extracurriculars.

with that said, i've looked around at colleges a lot, and was wondering what you guys think of my chances at dartmouth, cornell, michigan, hopkins, columbia college, yale, gtown, uva, emory, rutgers, bc, and nyu.

thanks for listening.

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 01:35 pm: Edit

Good chances at many colleges. Must get in Michigan, and a very good shot at Dartmouth.

Hope, you've stressed upon your abilities in music on your app.

You didnt talk about your major?

By K516 (K516) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 10:01 pm: Edit

psych.

By K516 (K516) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 09:30 am: Edit

bump

By K516 (K516) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 10:23 pm: Edit

bump

By Subjecttochange (Subjecttochange) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 10:53 pm: Edit

search for asian and chances.

you'll see how you match up.

By K516 (K516) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 12:26 am: Edit

thanks for the input, bump

By Cya_At_Atlanta (Cya_At_Atlanta) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 09:33 am: Edit

k516, do you happen to go to McNair HS?

By K516 (K516) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 12:25 am: Edit

no, i don't.

By K516 (K516) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 12:21 am: Edit

bump please.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page