Transfer chances

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Transfer chances
By Thepiskickass (Thepiskickass) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 11:40 pm: Edit

i'm a sophomore in hs at the moment. i'm planning on taking my GED and attending either CC or State College(probably) for the next two years rather than dying of boredom in hs. after that i'm planning on tranferring to MIT or CalTech. do i have any chances of getting in? i'm confused about transfer admissions.

By Kelly_Johnson (Kelly_Johnson) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 11:46 pm: Edit

I kind of doubt it. Really, how many people do you think get into MIT from a community college? I have a cousin that didn't get into MIT from Stanford! Stay in high school. If your courses are boring, take honors or AP. If you can not do that, you can try dual enrollment with a local community college

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 11:51 pm: Edit

Yeah, I think most states have a postsecondary enrollment law where your high school has to pay for courses at a college if they don't offer the course in your school. At least, that's how it is in Iowa; I've done a lot of classes that way.

By Kelly_Johnson (Kelly_Johnson) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 11:55 pm: Edit

Another thing about your chances: My cousin had a perfect GPA in the honors program, he was 16 when he started college, he won a billion awards, he worked for NASA, and he did a lot of campus research projects at Stanford. That is just the tip of the iceberg!

I know high school is not always fun. I was offered admission from Mt. Holyoke straight after this year (I am only a junior) because I moved to Florida from Texas and I hate it here. I do not have any friends, I am not enjoying my new band, and my classes are so easy and boring, but I honesty think that I am just not ready to start college next year. I really do want to have a high school diploma and my IB diploma (I have worked sooo hard doing all sorts of papers and research since I was in the 8th grade for it!).

So, basically, what I am saying is, do not ruin your life by rushing into something that you are not ready for. I know that I am 100% ready for college work due to my strong IB background, but I do not think that I want to be away from my mom when I am sick and I do not know how to drive yet and I do not want to miss my little brother and sister every day. I will leave Texas next year and I am looking forward to that day, but I know I should not rush myself right now.

Anyway, I always ramble. Sorry.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page