Importance of Interview? (Washington University)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Importance of Interview? (Washington University)
By Jef (Jef) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 01:04 am: Edit

It seems these boards focus mostly on freshman admissions, but I thought I'd give this transfer question a shot anyway. Forgive me if this gets long. I didn't have a stellar high school record, but there definitely has been an upward trend, particularly throughout my first year of college (I'm a freshman at UNH). My SATs were 1230 (710 Verbal, 520 Math). The disparity between grades in the social sciences (mostly As and high Bs) and the maths (high Cs, low Bs) has continued throughout college thus far, though since I'm an English major, I'll be done with that after this semester.

My first semester GPA was 3.36 (the math really brought the average down), but I'm sure it'll be higher this semester, along with solid grades I'm anticipating for the two summer courses I'm taking.

Anyway, I'd really hope that I could transfer to Washington University spring semester 2004. Since I do live in NH, I'm wondering whether flying out over the summer for a tour and more importantly an interview may have a strong effect on my potential admission. As far as Washington University in particular, I've heard that they do place great weight on a student's interest in the school.

However, my real question is, and I suppose this is a more general question that could apply to all colleges, can a strong interview and a strongly expressed interest in the school possibly make up slightly for an average GPA?

I'm looking to transfer next year whether it's Washington University or not, so am I shooting too high?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page