PLEASE RATE MY CHANCES OF GETTING INTO NYU!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: PLEASE RATE MY CHANCES OF GETTING INTO NYU!
By Shiloh_Gray (Shiloh_Gray) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 07:38 pm: Edit

Tisch School of the Arts, that is...

Hi!, I am a sophomore, and I go to a school in the North Atlanta suburbs that offers only 6 periods (because they suck down here), but the school is pretty good academically.

LAST SEMESTER GPA: 4.17 out of 4.00 (straight A's, one AP A, adding the .17)

CURRENT SEMESTER GPA: 4.00 out of 4.00 (straight A's, one low B in AP [new teacher makes it REALLY hard!]

FRESHMAN YEAR: Mostly A's, a few B's, and one C the last semester.

EXTRA CURRICULARS, so far (MOST IN MY CLASS):

Drama Club (9,10)
Literary Magazine (9,10)
Art Club (10)
Amnesty International (10), ONLY sophomore!
Interact (10)
Key Club (10)
Latin Club (10)
Mock Trial (10)
Model UN (10)
WeServe (10), [a spec ed. service club]
Voices of Culture (10), [a culure club]
Yearbook Staff (10)- ONLY sophomore!

EXTRA-CURRICULARS, later on:
Beta Club (11, 12)
National Honor Society (11, 12)
SGA (11, 12)
Cabinet (11, 12) [maybe]
Interclub (11, 12)

I'd also like to found a club (or refound), Thespians.

PSAT scores:

This year's, 47% verbal, 63% math, could of done WAY better! This was before taking Geometry, or any SAT Prep classes.

Last year's, slightly lower.

FINACIAL AID/ ETC.:

I definetly need something! I live with a single parent, in a middle-class home, if that helps. I'm also black (w/ Cuban and Native American), if that helps anything!

THE ARTS (Top of my head):

*1992- First School Production, "Three Little Pigs", I was in kindergarten. I played the third pig, lol. I remember us making props and such. Long ago...

*1995- Wrote a short story entilted "Why The Hyena Has It's Spots", it was a theme given to us. Gained great appraise, being noted in the Charlotte Observer, and presenting the peace to the school, if of relevance.

*1996- I was in third grade. African Dance/ Creative Movement class. I wrote my first screenplay that year (not completed). At this time, also, my sister was getting HER Drama Major at Dartmouth.

*1999- Drama Class, 7th grade. Preparing for performances, and regular acting thing- monologues, dialogues, etc.

*2000- Drama Class, 7th grade.

*2000- Attended my sisters Improv Night on several occasions and acted, if of relevence.

*2000- 8th Grade Chorus, several performances.

*2001- " (see above)

*2001- I week summer camp, 3 hrs. per day, comb. of Modern, Ballet, Jazz, and Hip-Hop I believe. Great expierence. Put on production of "West Side Story", in which I was the only male dancer, and center stage at the finale'. It was like a 5-10 minute choreographed dance, not a big show! Performed in front of about 100-200 people.

*2001- Drama Class, 9th grade. Worked a lot in areas of film production and screening, screening and reviewing other productions, and having fun. Also, created several short films (videos), make-up work shops, monologues, dialogues, interior monologues, group skits, etc. Learned a lot.

*2001- Drama Club, 9th grade. Production withheld because those unartistic people sit on there asses. A few times we had screenings of the script.

*2002- Drama Class, 9th grade, " (see above); also, couldn't take 10th grade because of scheduling conflicts (I need 3 foreign language credits for NYU)..

*2002- Drama Club, 9th grade. " (see above)

*2002- Drama Club, 10th grade. We're about to put on an original production, in which I play some chorus "girl". Still, people sit on their asses.

*2003- Drama Club, 10th grade. " (see above).

*2003- Alliance Theatre- Acting Techinques I. This is the most prestigous Theatre in the city. Starts April.

*2003- Alliance Theatre- Acting Techniques II. Starts summer.

*2003- Summer camps in fields of Theatre, Dance, and hopefully extra courses and SAT prep.

*2003- Currently doing Independent Study, writing scripts (Dramatic Writing), and seeking instruction in dance, drama, and possibly vocal training. I am NOT interested much is musical theatre, but I WOULD consider. Also planning to enroll in the School of the Arts, public high school, this fall. Should be in the Variety Show this year, hopefully. I'm a male dancer who lives in GA, I guess that's diverse! I'm not rich, so I can't like go to all these $700 dollar camps either! Thanks!

By Jumbo (Jumbo) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 08:47 pm: Edit

if you can raise your SAT, you're in.

By Shiloh_Gray (Shiloh_Gray) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 06:07 pm: Edit

bump

By B18c1cx (B18c1cx) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:05 pm: Edit

yea man, ur good. NYU takes anyone. If you play a sport, then there is no doubt. Start practicing b4 ur put ur application in. Any sport will do.

By Chen (Chen) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:23 pm: Edit

Just FYI, colleges don't really care what you did before high school unless it's continued until now or it's something really impressive. I don't understand what you mean by percentages either, but isn't 90% like a 60 in one section? If so, then your PSAT scores seem oddly low...lol, so I'm probably wrong. They also won't care that you're the only sophmore in some club because you would never be able to put it down in your app. Make sure that you stay in the clubs that you really do like as you continue. Your extracurriculars (so many! maybe too many) and grades are impressive and your ethnicity is too, I guess, but I really don't know what I'm talking about and am just posting because I don't understand your PSAT scores :)

By Plmehopeful (Plmehopeful) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 12:44 am: Edit

Chen, the % given probably is his or her selection index for that section.

By Divsmiles (Divsmiles) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 02:59 pm: Edit

hey guys-

ok im a newbie..and i really want to go to NYU...can anybody give me a basic requirement list to get in the direct medical program...i would like to be psychiatrist..hopefully..i dont know how to go back and re-read the reply message to this so can someone email me at colormepink831@yahoo.com? thanks

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page