Chance for UCs?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: August 2004 Archive: Chance for UCs?
By Kimjh (Kimjh) on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 05:53 pm: Edit

SATs: 1380 (700-v, 680 >..< none really,
-local hospital since sophomore
-math school tutor
-debate club
-red cross club
-little badminton, tennis

awrd:
-GSE (spanish, algebra)

did i screw up my chances for Davis, Santa Barbara, San Diego, Berkeley, UCLA, Irvine?

what would u consider to be my reaches? safeties? matches?

By Kimjh (Kimjh) on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 05:58 pm: Edit

mhm...for some reason, the post excluded some of my info...here it tis

SATs: 1380 (700-v, 680 M)

SAT2s:
- math Ic: 730
- writing: 670
will retake writing, take math 2c & Bio Oct...

HS GPA: 3.83 uw..

HS rank: 28/ 434

course?
-i'm a junior and in my junior yr i took 3APs and 3 hnrs. taking 5APs senior yr. took max honrs courses freshman and sophomore...

ECs: >.< none really,
-local hospital since sophomore
-math school tutor
-debate club
-red cross club
-little badminton, tennis

awrd:
-GSE (spanish, algebra)

did i screw up my chances for Davis, Santa Barbara, San Diego, Berkeley, UCLA, Irvine?

what would u consider to be my reaches? safeties? matches?

By Blacksheep (Blacksheep) on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 05:58 pm: Edit

Luckily your GPA and ranking are above average so you're bound to be accepted at one of the lower ranked UCs. Reaches: UCLA and UCB.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 08:12 pm: Edit

Are you in-state? If so, what is your UC GPA? If you don't know how to compute it, check out www.ucop.edu/pathways - be sure to doublecheck which classes at your school count towards the UC GPA - they drop some. If you recompute it and your UC GPA comes out higher, you should have a good shot at all of the UC's.

By Kimjh (Kimjh) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 04:14 pm: Edit

i'm california resident...isn't UC GPA and weighted GPA the same? my weighted is 4.0...that doesn't sound right does it? shouldn't weighted be significantly greater than my 3.83?...

By Dadofsam (Dadofsam) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 12:40 pm: Edit

Berkeley, UCLA - maybe; they're quite selective. San Diego, Davis - quite possibly. Santa Barbara, Irvine - should be no problem; even a Regents scholarship and/or honors program is possible at these.

By Kimjh (Kimjh) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 01:31 am: Edit

hello~ ~~~~

just bumping along....^^

By Crazylicious (Crazylicious) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 01:43 am: Edit

"i'm california resident...isn't UC GPA and weighted GPA the same? my weighted is 4.0...that doesn't sound right does it? shouldn't weighted be significantly greater than my 3.83?... "

UC GPA is different. www.ucop.edu/pathways check there

they only count up to 8 semesters of honors/ap classes and count only a-g classes (like carolyn said)

By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 10:12 pm: Edit

***Note: These r written from worst chances to best chances of admission***

REACH
Berkely (<40% chance)
LA (little better chance than berkely)

MATCH
San Diego (50-50 chance)
Santa Barbara (good possibility)
Davis (very good chance)

SAFTIES
Irvine (definite admission)

ur course load and SAT's are looking very strong although ur EC's aren't that great. Good luck come october. I'll be competing against u...

By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 10:14 pm: Edit

ur UC GPA should almost be the same as ur HS GPA unless u got really bad grades freshman year... If u did, then ur UC GPA will actually go up.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 10:19 pm: Edit

UC GPA = 10th and 11th, Weighted. Community College classes are weighted as well, if they are UC:CSU transferable. Except for Math and English, these two are weighted regardless of transferability. (Got this from UC Pathways Senior Coordinator, so I'm trusting my sources.)

By Ericlu87 (Ericlu87) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 10:57 pm: Edit

Can someone help me find my chances for UCs as well since its not allowing me to post a new topic for some reason.
=================================================
2005 Senior Graduate

Cumulative GPA 3.8 w

SAT II BIO - 590(retaking fall hoping to pass 600)
SAT II WRITING - 600 (retaking fall)
SAT II MATH 1C - 650 (retaking)

SAT I - Hoping to hit 1300+ this fall

JV Swim - 1 YEAR
JV Tennis - 1 YEAR
Varsity Tennis - 1 YEAR
300+ Hours Voluntering at Kaiser Permanente Hospital

Junior Year
===========
AP Compsci
AP US History
AP Biology
Trig
French 3
English Lit 3
Tennis

Senior Year
==========
AP Enviromental Science
AP Calculus AB
AP French
AP Language
Physics
Art ( Dumb requirement for UCS =\)
Tennis

For my junior and senior year ive had 7 periods when the normal one is 6 that has to mean something right =\

Im planing on apply to the major UCs UCLA, UCSD, UCSB, UCSC, UCD, UCB what do you think would be my reaches, safties etc., and what scores should i improve on, what should be a goal to get for my SATs.

By Ericlu87 (Ericlu87) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 01:27 am: Edit

bump???

By Flopsy (Flopsy) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 07:00 am: Edit

UCLA, UCB - Reach
UCSD, UCD, UCSB - "Safe" Match
UCSC - Safety

By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 10:38 am: Edit

Ericlu87, what is ur unweighted GPA?

i would actually say that UCSD is a reach 4 u. Try to get ur SAT's up to a high 1300. Everything else, I agree with Flopsy

By Kimjh (Kimjh) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 04:25 pm: Edit

ericlu, what HS do u go to???

By Underground (Underground) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 08:56 pm: Edit

very well done. I would guess that you would get into most of the uc's, but ucla and berklely might be a reach. I think you should apply to JHU Eearly Deceision if you want to really want to major in the medical field.

Just my two cents

By Kathaddad06 (Kathaddad06) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 09:01 pm: Edit

Can someone help me out too, cuz I can't post a message either on my own, check my stats out for the so-cal colleges too please, this is what i tried to post last time:

Hey Everyone, I am a girl from Michigan and I am really interested in some Southern Cali colleges. I will be going into my junior year and I am a Jordanian American (Arab).

These are the colleges I am interested in:
UC San Diego
San Diego State
University of San Diego (as u can see I love San Diego)
and maybe University of Southern California
--------------------------------------------------

GPA: 3.125 (I don't know the difference between unweighted and weighted, and it is kind of bad right now but it is steadily increasing)

FRESHMAN YEAR:
ENGLISH 9 B C
SPANISH II B B
ALGEBRA/GEOMETRY/STATISTICS (A/G/S) I A B
PERSONAL FITNESS B
HEALTH A
EARTH SCIENCE B B
US HISTORY 9 B B

SOPHOMORE YEAR:
AMERICAN LITERATURE/WRITING C B
SPANISH III B B
A/G/S II B B
ADV. VOLLEYBALL B
BIOLOGY B A
POLITICAL & ECONOMIC SYSTEMS B A
INTRODUCTION TO VIDEO PRODUCTION A

JUNIOR YEAR SCHEDULE:
ADVANCED COMPOSITION A
PUBLIC SPEAKING
SPANISH IV (HONORS COURSE)
AP UNITED STATES HISTORY
CHEMISTRY IN THE COMMUNITY (more of a remedial course, for kids who don't take chemistry or physics and/or are interested in pursuing a career in science, most kids take this one instead)
ADVANCED VIDEO PRODUCTION AND MEDIA WRITING
A/G/S 3P (There is another course called A/G/S 3T and that is the easier of the two)

SENIOR YEAR (not for sure but most likely it will look like this):
AP US GOVERNMENT
AP SPANISH
A/G/S IV OR AP PROB & STAT
PRACTICAL LAW
DEBATE
ADVANCED VIDEO PRODUCTION AND MEDIA WRITING (you are able to take this course twice and recieve credit for both)
SOCCER SKILLS AND CONDITIONING
and some other English class I haven't decided on yet

I haven't taken any of the SAT's or ACT's, but I have taken this test called the PLAN test which is a pre-sat type of thing and I got an 89 percent or something like that, I am not sure how that thing is calculated. But I was wondering when the best time to take the SAT'S and ACT'S are, at the end or middle of junior year, or beginning of senior year? Which is the best time?

EC'S:
Freshman Year:
FRESHMAN VOLLEYBALL
FRESHMAN SOCCER
STUDENT COUNCIL
RELAY FOR LIFE (AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY)
Sophomore Year:
JV TENNIS
JV SOCCER
RELAY FOR LIFE
STUDENT COUNCIL (TREASURER)
A BUNCH OF COMMUNITY SERVICE (I have a portfolio of it or whatever)

Relay For Life I will be doing for the next two years for sure and same with Student Council

Tennis I will most likely be on Varsity for the next two years, and as for soccer it is a possibility I will be on varsity for the next two years as well, but not as likely as tennis)

If any of you could tell me what would be my chances of the schools I meantioned, such as reaches or safteys or whatever, that would be awesome....thanks!

By Kathaddad06 (Kathaddad06) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 11:50 pm: Edit

If any of you could look at these stats of mine and tell me what are my safties, matches, and reaches that would be awesome...thanks!

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 12:13 am: Edit

Here are the average Fall 2004 freshmen stats for the UC schools:
UCB: 4.16 GPA, 1350 SAT
UCLA: 4.10 GPA, 1346 SAT
UCSD: 4.05 GPA, 1298 SAT
UCD: 3.91 GPA, 1249 SAT
UCI: 3.91 GPA, 1249 SAT
UCSB: 3.90 GPA, 1231 SAT
UCSC: 3.73 GPA, 1198 SAT
UCR: 3.58 GPA, 1132 SAT

http://www.ucop.edu/news/factsheets/2004/freshman_admit_profile_2004.pdf

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 12:21 am: Edit

those are just the averages of the freshman that were admitted, but not the ones that are going to enroll right?

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 01:28 am: Edit

Yes, these are the admit stats.

By Kathaddad06 (Kathaddad06) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 01:39 pm: Edit

can anyone answer my questions? it would be a really big help, thanks! :)

By Kathaddad06 (Kathaddad06) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 02:06 pm: Edit

bump^^^

By Kathaddad06 (Kathaddad06) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 05:41 pm: Edit

anyone?

By Kathaddad06 (Kathaddad06) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 06:24 pm: Edit

one more bump?

By Dadofsam (Dadofsam) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit

Kathaddad: At the moment your GPA is too low for out-of-state admission to a UC and too low for USC. I don't know about the others.

I'm afraid that taking a course such as Chemistry in the Community instead of a straight science course is not going to help your record.

However, since you are only beginning junior year, the objective should be to raise your GPA as much as you are able during that year, no matter which colleges you want to aply to.

By Kimjh (Kimjh) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 08:28 pm: Edit

yeah, USC is so prestigious, I heard...but why is it that taking classes in community is not as admirable as taking it in school...isnt' that taking advantage of educational opportunities?...

By Kathaddad06 (Kathaddad06) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 12:41 am: Edit

yeah USC i wasnt really setting my sights on at all but i just put it out there for some reason....but thanks guys!....can anyone help me figure out when the best times to take the sat's would be and what i would need to get to even have a chance at these colleges

and about the chemistry in the community, that is just an easier chemistry class, its not like outdoors or anything haha...and its still the 3rd hardest science class not including honors or ap's so its not that easy, but just easier than normal chemistry, i didn't mean remedial by saying its a retard class or anything, the reason i am taking it is because i would rather get an A in that than take normal chemistry and get a B or C...figured it was the smarter choice

By Kathaddad06 (Kathaddad06) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 12:44 am: Edit

and another thing about my gpa that sucks so bad is that i got 3.0's my first three semesters and then last semester i got a 3.5, which raised from a cumulative of a 3.0 to a 3.125....and i am hoping on that kind of improvement for the next semesters....so going from a 3.0 to a 3.5 in a semester are the kind of drastic changes i am planning on acheiving for the rest of h.s. so we'll see how that goes....but thanks for the feedback again

By Kathaddad06 (Kathaddad06) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 12:46 am: Edit

how close am i to getting in at the other colleges i meantioned, like sd state and usd??

By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 01:13 am: Edit

VERY VERY far away. If u really want to consider improvements check this out(mine):

Freshman 1st Semester: 2.8
Freshman 2nd Semester: 2.8
Summerschool(to get ahead): 3.0
Sophemore 1st Semester: 2.2
Sophemore 2nd Semester: 3.0
Summerschool (to get ahead): 3.5
Junior 1st Semester: 3.83
Junior 2nd Semester: 4.0
Summerschool (to get ahead): Planning a 4.0
Senior year: Planning a 4.0 with 2 AP's.

My Gpa is a 3.189 currently and I can still only get into UCSC and UCR.

By Dadofsam (Dadofsam) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 12:50 pm: Edit

Kathadddad. The better colleges will understand that Chemistry in the Community is not a hard science course and will not give much weight to your grade in that class. However, there are a number of lesser-known colleges (probably not in southern California) that may be interested in an application from you, even with such a class.

You should look more at schools in other areas. If you want more specfic advice, start a new thread with your information, to attract attention.

Bye.

By Kathaddad06 (Kathaddad06) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 01:16 pm: Edit

i tried to start my own thread but it didnt work.....and about the chemistry in the community i dont think its really that big of a deal....like i said its not a retard class or anything but i would rather increase my gpa by taking a class i can get an A in rather than taking a class i would get a B in, it just seemed logical to me and that is what my couselor told me to do, but no one really answered me about the best time to take my sat/act's...also i was wondering what the average gpa and SAT scores are accepted at SD State and USD??

Thanks for all the advice, anyone else?

By Kathaddad06 (Kathaddad06) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 01:23 pm: Edit

Aliasmatrix,

Those are good improvements, but you went down to a 2.2 from a 3.5 as well as going from a 2.2 to a 3.0....so just cuz u improved doesnt meant that you didnt drop a lot as well....not trying to be mean though....that is impressive and everything but still.....and i have another question for you...do you know if sd state and usd are more prestigeous than ucsc and ucr?? i thought all of the UC's, even ucsc and ucr were harder to get into than sd state and usd...i dont know very much so excuse my lack of knowledge about california colleges, but b/c i am out of state, it'd be cool if you could help me out in familiarizing myself with the southern california schools, preferably near the san diego area...thanks!

By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 01:43 pm: Edit

huh? I never got a 3.5 before I got a 2.2. I basically had a very low GPA freshman and sophemore year. I had a 2.79 average GPA at the end of my sophemore year. Then I went from a 2.79GPA to a 3.189 average GPA. Impressive wouldn't u say? I guess this is more accurate.

Freshman 1st Semester: 2.8
Freshman 2nd Semester: 2.8
Sophemore 1st Semester: 2.33
Sophemore 2nd Semester: 3.0
Junior 1st Semester: 3.857
Junior 2nd Semester: 3.857
Summerschool (to get ahead): Planning a 4.0
Senior year: Planning a 4.0 with 2 AP's.

By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Here is the thing with SDSU, the school itself sucks (don't think u would like it there) but for the past 5 years, they have had numerous amounts of students who want to go there. Naturally, they have increased their standards drastically. Here r the stats:

SDSU

Average SAT: 1071
Average High School GPA: 3.52
Total applicants who are accepted: 50%

UCR

Average SAT: 1057
Average High School GPA: 3.42
Total applicants who are accepted: 79%

UCSC

Average SAT: 1137
Average High School GPA: 3.46
Total applicants who are accepted: 80%

UCD

Average SAT: 1190
Average High School GPA: 3.72
Total applicants who are accepted: 60%

I think u have a chance at UCR but UCSC has increased their standards for the past year so I'm not too sure about UCSC. UCD on the other hand is a LOT harder to get into than UCSC and UCR. You r still a junior though, get all A's (kind of like what I did my junior year) this year. Then u will have a terific chance into even UCD.

By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 02:17 pm: Edit

I want to emphasize this.

GET ALL A's THIS YEAR. That will enable u to get into any UC college u want (except UCSD, UCLA, UCB)

sorry 4 the triple post

By Yackityack (Yackityack) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 06:49 pm: Edit

i graduated class of 04.

660 710 750
uc gpa 4.11
APs 4,3 junior year
4 AP classes senior year
ECs-decent but nothing amazing

Political Science major

In at SD for winter quarter, in at berk for spring semester, in at Irvine with a chancellors scholarship(7k per year) and the campuswide honors program. going to UCI next year.

SB, davis and Irvine will be no problem for you. UCSD-likely yes. the others? possibly.

By Astrophman (Astrophman) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 02:25 am: Edit

If you get mostly A's, you might be able to get into a UC or two (I'm no expert, just another student. USD is not particularly competitive, so I think you will get in. Good luck, think positively about the future, and keep us informed.

SDSU should be okay too.

By Duke3d4 (Duke3d4) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 04:11 pm: Edit

So if you dont have a UC gpa of 3.4, you can't apply out of state?

How hard is it to get into a UC out of state?

By Kattiepie (Kattiepie) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 07:54 pm: Edit

Duke3d4: I'll answer that question for you as an in-state UC hopeful. VERY VERY VERY HARD. UCs are hard as it is for students IN california-- they're not very open to accepting a large percentage of out of states. Of course, with the budget cuts and all, there are more out of states coming in.. but for the most part, UCs want IN-STATE. A 3.4 might get a in-state student in but I highly doubt an out-of-state student getting in.. even with a 3.8 or higher!

It really sucks. I mean.. -__-;; UCLA's acceptance rate is like.. 26%? That's comparably to IVIES. What the heck.. :(

(HAR can you tell that I'm bitter that the standards are getting higher everyday?)

By Yackityack (Yackityack) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 08:28 pm: Edit

i didnt get into ucla and neither did a lot of high achieving people i know.

By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 10:16 pm: Edit

With a 3.4 UC GPA, you would be very lucky if u get into Riverside(which is the lowest UC school). GOD UC SCHOOLS SUCK. Trust me, getting into even a semi-decent school in California is VERY hard.

By Flopsy (Flopsy) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 11:20 pm: Edit

Looking at Fall 2004 UC freshman admissions statistics, you'll need at least a 4.25 weighted GPA to stand a good chance at being admitted into the top UC schools (UCLA, UC Berkeley)...

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 06:17 am: Edit

SD state had 16,000 more applicants this year and about 2000 fewer spots. I think the average GPA was a 3.7 and SAT scores over 1100 somewhere, atleast thats what an email from the provost told me.

aliasmatrix, any further information on why the school itself sucks or were you just throwing that out there based on someones opninion you heard. I know all of my friends at SDSU love it there and whenever they came home, they wish they were back in San Diego. But i'll get back to you guys on how much I enjoy it there as i'll be a freshmen in the fall.

Incase you were interested I got in with a 3.3 and a 1250, although they had me down as a 3.16. So just get your SAT scores at 1200+ and you should be OK for SD State, although i really have no idea how competitive it'll be next year, because year after year SDSU is getting way more competitive.

By Kathaddad06 (Kathaddad06) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 03:04 pm: Edit

yeah...aliasmatrix ur right....i read ur stats wrong my bad...but yes that is very impressive.....could anyone give me my chances at maybe University of San Diego, and does my being Catholic help my chances getting in there b/c it is a catholic school?

By Kathaddad06 (Kathaddad06) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 03:12 pm: Edit

Here's another school I've been thinking about....and I know I am adding schools that aren't UC's and this thread is about UC's but the message board won't let me start my own thread :(
Cal State, San Marcos....does anyone know the average GPA, SAT, and acceptance rates here? Anyone know anything about friends going there and liking it/ hating it? thanks for the feedback everyone!!

By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 06:33 pm: Edit

Yikes! UC's look horrible this year.

Hey guys,

Compare the last year's admission scatter plot to this years.

2003 Students: http://www.sonicpixel.net/ahs/
2004 Students: http://www.sonicpixel.net/ahs04/

Schools like UCSD and UCLA look horrible. Ah geez, I'm even more worried. Tell me ur comments.

By Kimjh (Kimjh) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 08:35 pm: Edit

hey...if u could pls just check my stats in the beginning of this page...

should i retake SATI?

and should i take math 2c or retake 1c?

(graduating class of 05)

By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 08:45 pm: Edit

don't need to retake it. u can if u want(might improve to like a 1400, maybe). Try IIC cause if u can score that high on IC, chances r u know the stuff. You should be able to achieve a much higher score if u just practice a little.

By Kimjh (Kimjh) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 09:03 pm: Edit

i won't have time to take SAT1 b/c if im going to take the subject tests coming Oct and ....u kno, the UC deadline is like NOV 30 or something.

hey Aliasmatrix...do u think my chances at Davis (dream school) would improve with a 4 on AP BIO test, 3 on AP US history (evil)? i heard Davis was pretty weird this year....

u said that Average High School GPA for Davis was like 3.72 ...Unweighted?

thanks, i was killing myself over the IC or IIc thing...ill try II

By Aliasmatrix (Aliasmatrix) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 11:22 pm: Edit

"i won't have time to take SAT1 b/c if im going to take the subject tests coming Oct and ....u kno, the UC deadline is like NOV 30 or something."

No, actually u can. If u take the subject tests Oct, then u can still take the SAT I on Nov. 6 and collegeboard will send the score to the colleges in less than 2 weeks. But don't worry about SAT I right now, I would actually suggest u not take it.

"do u think my chances at Davis (dream school) would improve with a 4 on AP BIO test, 3 on AP US history (evil)? i heard Davis was pretty weird this year...."

Actually, u have an awesome chance at Davis right now. I agree, they have been cruel this year but that is only to the people who have a GPA of anything less than a 3.5 GPA. If u write a decent essay, u r guaranteed admission into Davis(u could even try UCSD, u might just get lucky).

Proof of the statements made above:

2003 Students: http://www.sonicpixel.net/ahs/ucd.gif
2004 Students: http://www.sonicpixel.net/ahs04/ucd.gif
http://www.sonicpixel.net/ahs04/ucsd.gif

By Kimjh (Kimjh) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 11:17 pm: Edit

should i have more safeties? im all for UCs tho...am i wasting money and time applying to Berkeley and LA..the top schools?

By Kimjh (Kimjh) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 11:32 pm: Edit

which is more... revered (awkward, i kno.) ...UC irvine or Riverside?

By Kathaddad06 (Kathaddad06) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 12:21 am: Edit

i dont know for sure but i hear riverside is the easiest uc to get into...thats just what i heard...so i think irvine is more revered

By Kingkonglives (Kingkonglives) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 01:27 am: Edit

yeah irvine is considered more competitive than riverside i think you'll get into most mid UCs

By Commonsense (Commonsense) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 02:42 am: Edit

Could you guys weigh in on my chances at all the UC's?
I am a rising senior.

UW GPA: 3.6
UC GPA: 3.98
SAT1 :1480 Math:800 Verbal:680
SAT2 Math2C:800 Writing:730 USHistory:760

Taken/Will Take 7 AP's
Avg. EC's

Thanks

By Flopsy (Flopsy) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 05:28 am: Edit

Commonsense:

UCLA/UCB: Slight Reach
UCSD: Safe Match
All Other UCs: 100% Safety

By Kimjh (Kimjh) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 12:59 am: Edit

I wouldn't say 100 % safety...no UCs these days are that safe...I heard that the UCs really consider your GPA more than SATs in terms of qualification of admission...

i mean, after all, the test is just a one saturday morning thing; whereas, your GPA is 4 year high school term...

i dunno, just my thoughts~

BUT you guys haven't told me, yet: "should i have more safeties? im all for UCs tho...am i wasting money and time applying to Berkeley and LA..the top schools?"

By Kimjh (Kimjh) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 01:05 am: Edit

hey commonsense, do u think u could tell me what ur percentile was for mathIIC? and what would u consider avg ECs? *just curious*

By Baseketball22 (Baseketball22) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 03:55 am: Edit

Hey could you guys tell me what yall think my chances are

3.9 UC GPA
1450 SAT
710/720/720 SAT 2
Will have taken 2 APs each in junior and senior year

ECs (sport themed)
4 years baseball
3 years fooball
3 summers at a basketball camp at the local Community College, coached by former NBA player.
100 cs hours
Have a job as an umpire at a rec league.
Help ass. coach a basketball team.

Aiming for UCLA, UCB, UCSB, UCR, Pepperdine, and UCSD. THanx

By Flopsy (Flopsy) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 06:51 am: Edit

Kimjh, you should definitely apply to UCLA and Berkeley, especially seeing as how you don't have to go to the trouble of writing another application through PATHWAYS. It'll cost you more money, sure, but you might regret not applying later on... I also changed my mind about the 100% safety on Commonsense getting into all other UCs, but I wouldn't lose sleep over getting into at least one of the next tier: UCD, UCI and UCSB.

Baseketball, I think your chances are the same as Commonsense, but I don't really know much about Pepperdine admissions, sorry...

By Elements (Elements) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:36 am: Edit

I was wondering if you could help me, too.

4.0 UC GPA
Class rank 49 out of 566
1410 SAT (800 math, 610 verbal)
800/730/690 SAT 2 (math,physics,writing)
1 AP sophomore year
2APs junior year
3APs senior year

4years tennis
3years cross country
4 years marching band
4 years wind ensemble
1 year science olympiad (participant)
2 years coach of science olympiad team
NHS (2 years)
CSF (all 4 years)
Interact club (1 year)
Leo Club (2 years)
Math tutor 2 years
over 100 hours community service hours

Would like UCB, UCLA, UCSB or UCSD

Thanks

By Yackityack (Yackityack) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:17 pm: Edit

"UCD: 3.91 GPA, 1249 SAT
UCI: 3.91 GPA, 1249 SAT
UCSB: 3.90 GPA, 1231 SAT"

How come UCI is always the safety and UCD and UCSB are matches? just wondering.

By Flopsy (Flopsy) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Elements: Your academic stats are very similar to other high-tier UC applicants, but your ECs definitely set you apart.

UCLA/UCB: Match
UCSB: Safety

Yackityack:

No idea... UCI, UCD and UCSB have the same admit stats and roughly equal numbers of freshman applications. That's why I always group all three campuses in the same tier.

By Elements (Elements) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 12:34 pm: Edit

Thanks for the quick response. Do you have any suggestions for out of state schools? I am planning to major in Math (perhaps a dual in math/physics) or engineering. Math has always been my passion and I am currently taking Multivariable calculus at a college this summer as I already finished Calc B/C last year. Next year I will not be taking math as my schedule is too busy and cannot fit in a college class.

Thanks.

By Kfc4u (Kfc4u) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 02:52 am: Edit

elements

first of all, wow, youre kinda like me, 4 yrs of band, ensemble, and tennis, plus nhs and csf.

anyway, you should try to apply to some top 25 schools. (in no particular order) carnegie mellon, michigan, georgia tech, wisconson, texas, and illinois are also good out of state schools for math/science majors. as for UC's, ditto what flopsy said. also try usc.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Kathaddad06 - As an out of state student, you need a MINIMUM of 3.4 GPA or a 1400 on the SATs in order to be considered for admission to any of the UC's.

San Diego State has become very competitive in the past year - it might still be a realistic reach for you if you do well on the SATs.

Your GPA is on the low side for USD but they look more closely at the whole application than the Calif. publics - if you've taken a good courseload, have demonstrated leadership in your extracurriculars, and get outstanding recommendations, you have a shot. Consider applying ED if you love it enough.

USC is a big reach for you unless you do very well on the SATS

Another school in San Diego that you might take a look at is Point Loma Nazarene U - www.ptloma.edu - it's a beautiful campus overlooking the ocean with good academics. It would be a good match for you, possibly even a safety.

North of San Diego near LA, take a look at Chapman University, Loyola Marymount, the University of Redlands, California Lutheran, and Whittier - all would be nice solid matches for you.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 03:04 pm: Edit

By the way - just a note about Cal State San Marcos - it is mainly a commuter school. Good for business but I wouldn't say it would be worth coming to Calif. for - just my opinion. Look at some of the other schools I mentioned above instead.

By Elements (Elements) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 12:22 pm: Edit

Kfc4u

Thanks for the suggestions for out of state schools. I will check them out. I had been thinking about USC and Michigan. My schedule is crazy now, so I better get on it!! Band camp and cross country start tomorrow and today is my final for my summer class. ACH!

Thanks again for the quick response...

Let me know if you have any other ideas.

By Xerocreative (Xerocreative) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 08:25 am: Edit

since most people are mosting here and I my thread sucks Ill post my stats here instead:
Do you think I have a chance of going to my top 5 UC Universities List?
#1: UC Berkeley
#2: UCLA
#3: UCSD
#4: UCI
#5: Stanford (Not a UC School oh well...)

My background:
Asian Male

Classes I took:

9th grade:
P.E 9 A/B
CP Biology A/B/
ASC
English 9 A/B
Health
Geometry A/B
Algebra 2 A/B <--- Algebra 2B took in summer
Spanish 1A/B
Geography
Total GPA (Unweighed): 3.83
Total GPA (Weighted): 3.56

10th Grade:
AP European History A/B
Advance English 10A/B
Chemistry A/B
Pre-Calculus A/B
Spanish 2A/B
P.E 2A/B
Total GPA: (Unweighed): 3.58
Total GPA: (Weighed): 3.50

11th Grade: <--- miracle year
AP English Language/Composition A/B
AP Chemistry A/B
AP Calculus A/B
AP U.S History A/B
Computer Science A/B
Biotechnology
Drawing/Painting A/B
Total GPA {Weighed): 4.67

12th Grade:
AP English Literature A/B
AP Computer Science A/B
AP Biology A/B
AP Government A/B
Drawing/Painting 2A/B
Spanish 3A/B
Total GPA (Weighed) 4.67

UC GPA: 4.14 sigh... Yes i know it sucks <===without senior year.

I'm not a senior yet but I think I can put straight A's this year.

Extra Curricular Activities:
Vice President Chess Club
National Honor Society
Interact Club
125 hrs Community Service Hours
President Table Tenis Club
President Tenis Club
Member of Science Olympic
***No Sports*** <--- parents won't let me

SAT I Scores:
Total: 1320 M:800 V:520
SAT II Scores:
Haven't taken it yet but lets just say I got:
M: 800 V: 500 W: 700 Total: 2000

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 10:16 am: Edit

Do take into account that the UC GPA is not inclusive of your Senior year. It is ONLY 10th and 11th grade GPAs.

Also, please do indulge me as to how your 10th grade weighted GPA is lower than your unweighted?

By Baseketball22 (Baseketball22) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 01:53 am: Edit

"UC GPA: 4.14 sigh... Yes i know it sucks"

Some of you amaze me. How in the hell does that suck in any way shape or form. Are some of you guys like ultimate nerds? I have a 3.85 and i am thrilled with it. Is it just me or what?

By Flopsy (Flopsy) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 10:47 am: Edit

Xerocreative:
UCB: Match
UCLA: Match
UCI: Safety
Stanford: Super Reach

By Catcher070 (Catcher070) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 06:33 pm: Edit

What do you think about my chances for CalPoly San Luis Obispo, UCLA, UCSD, UCSB, and Santa Clara in engineering? I am from Texas enrolled at a prep school. Thanks y’all.

my school doesn’t rank, but I’m roughly top 15%
3.8 GPA unweighted
4.1 UC GPA (hard to calculate out of state)
SAT I: 1380
SAT II (taking again): 710 math IIc, 710 physics, 650 writing

Freshman Honors Classes: 1
Soph Honors Classes: 2.5
Junior Honors/AP Classes: 3 (one AP)
Senior Honors/AP Classes: 3 (four AP)

AP:
AB Calculus – 5
BC Calculus (senior year)
Statistics (senior year)
Physics C (senior year)
Spanish Language (senior year)

EC's (through senior year):
SADD – 4 years
Baseball – 4 years
Choir – 2 years
PALS – 1 year (leadership position)
Student Ambassadors – 2 years
NHS – 1 year
Big Brothers - 1 year

Community Service through junior year: 74 hours

By Grad05 (Grad05) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 07:52 pm: Edit

Can someone tell me my chances at UCs (LA, Berkeley,Irvine, Davis) and if I'm in the running for any scholarships.

SAT I: 1450
SAT II: 800M2C 790CHEM 740WR
GPA: 4.4(9-12) 4.6(10-12) 4.7(UC) 4.0 UW
EC:
varsity tennis- 4yrs/ captain 2yrs
environmental club- 4yrs
math club -4yrs
science club -4yrs
astronomy club-4yrs(leadership pos.)
CSF-3yrs (leadership pos.)
spirit club- 4yrs
-played piano for ten years
-active in local cultural and community events
-massive amounts of hospital volunteering,worked in doctor's offices etc.

AP:
Calc AB: 5
US HISTORY: 5
PHYSICS:5
CHEM:5
ENG LANG:5

senior year:
AP BIO
AP GOV
HUMANITIES
ART
STATS(AT CC)

BTW I'm in state. Any response will be appriciated. THanks

By Kimjh (Kimjh) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 09:53 pm: Edit

i think this is a stupid question, but when do most applicants send their UC apps/ or start working on them? there's no early dec/early action for UCs, right?

By Grumptious (Grumptious) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 10:33 pm: Edit

Grad05, your stats are awesome. You might get some regents scholarships. I believe they are merit based, so your chances are awesome.
you can probably get into like stanford and even more elite schools.

By Yackityack (Yackityack) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 10:42 pm: Edit

Grad05- You'll almost definitely get some regents scholarships at UCI and/or UCD. I got the Chancellors Scholarship at UCI (7k per yr) and while my stats are pretty good, yours own mine :). Regents at UCI is 9k per year. You'll also get into the Campuswide Honors Program at UCI. That's what I'm doing next year :).

And I couldn't see you not getting into UCLA or Berk. Good Luck with everything.

By Grad05 (Grad05) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 10:05 pm: Edit

Thanks for the comments guys. I appreciate it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page