college admissions financial aid college search scholarships ivy league college counseling ">
Do i STILL have any chance for GEORGETOWN? :(

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Do i STILL have any chance for GEORGETOWN? :(
By Irclub (Irclub) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 07:09 pm: Edit

hi,
my name is jowon from korea, and i've been in U.S for about 2years. And i need your advice as to
my chance for Georgetown.

i'm currently in 10th grade though,

SAT verbal 610 math 600
GPA 3.65
class rank top 30%
Extracurricular Model U.N. (Vice president)
International Relations Club (Founder)
International Relations Club (president/constitution committee)
etc.

so far, i've taken
AP Gov't, AP Economics and AP Psychiology
and i will be taking IB courses next two years.
I got several Cs so far and one D which i'm trying to take it again during summer(do you think that repeating those courses will actually improve my chance?)

i'm weak in math/science. but i'm pretty strong
in social science. (taking 12th classes)

Community service, 255 Hours so far(Supreme court in Korea)
Work Experience,i work in private investment company.
Summer experience, Georgetown International Relations program(2003), Oxbridge program at oxford(2004)
i really don't know guys....i think i have the worst profile compare to other 1500s and 4.0s people....
but i'm still trying my best..
hopefully, i can strenghten my profile by my early senior year..

Please give me your advice...do i still have a chance guys? what should i do to enhance my chance for Georgetown?

thanks
and good luck to all of you :)

By Incognito (Incognito) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 07:15 pm: Edit

lots of laughter, Jowon...
are you just kidding around w/us?? For a tenth grader, your stats are better than ok. They're great. If you keep up the good work (and bring up the SATs and a few other things), I'm sure you'll be fine! Just bring the scores up as soon as you can! You're only in 10th grade now. Dont worry so much about it. You are obviously a very diligent individual w/fantastic stats so far. Just continue w/it. You will need to bring up the GPA and a few other things, but there's lots of time. Now's the time to start. You have not yet negated the chance of getting in. Good luck in a few years down the road, but until then, dont concern yourself w/college issues TOO much right now. I wish you luck.

DISCLAIMER:
I am no expert. I strongy suggest that you speak w/your Guidance Counselor and some of the other ppl on these forums. Dont take what I say as the final word. I am just giving you my honest opinion...

By Irclub (Irclub) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 07:21 pm: Edit

thanks very much for your good advice Incognito..

By Jumbo (Jumbo) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 07:48 pm: Edit

maybe. its too early to tell, if you were a senior I'd say no, but anything is possible during that time frame in between.

By Johnnyd (Johnnyd) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 09:48 pm: Edit

shut up you're in tenth grade
go have fun
stop worrying, just get good grades and go hang out with your friends

By Irclub (Irclub) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 10:04 pm: Edit

as a matter of fact, i too do go outside and hang out with my friends.
but the problem is that most of my friends are expert on the college admission and they seem to know exactly what they should do in order to succeed in their college admission.
on the contrary, i wasn't really paying close attention to my profile. in fact, i don't have any particular knowledge as to college admission criterion.
so there i was seeking any possible advice from others. which i thought it might be helpful for myself and as well as the others who has the similar circumstances.
thanks.

By Louisa (Louisa) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 01:36 pm: Edit

I know a korean girl who got accepted to Georgetown last year.... she got rejected from Princeton, Yale, Berkeley, etc etc... she only got an acceptance letter from georgetown.. she had pretty low grades like you sophomore year but pulled up her grades and got straight A's.... and her SAT was 1400...
On the other hand, my other friend got accepted to Stanford, U Penn, Amherst, Berkeley and all the other top colleges and got rejected only from Georgetown... and she had perfect grades and good SAT's... so I'd say that luck is a big factor in admissions... I'd say that during summer take an SAT course, and get it up to a 1400.. and if you maintain straight A's junior and senior year, you have a great chance... Oh, and you're doing IB next year? well good luck... I'm in IB now and they're much much harder than AP's... you gotta manage your time, don't slack off, be dedicated... just hang in there... It will take a lot of work on your side... work hard junior/senior year... try to pull yourself up to top 10%, top 15%...

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 04:09 pm: Edit

Hey, I'm Korean myself, and I also have been here for 2 years. I think your stats are pretty great for sophomore right now, but let me tell you, your volunteer hours from supreme court in korea is not really going to help you. I had done over 400 hours of volunteer activities with Environmental organization in korea since I was nine, but according to my counselor and some of advisors, it's not really going to help me so just focus on what I have done here.
I have applied to Johns Hopkins and UVA, and I have uncle who got rejected from Georgetown 2 years ago. He was straight As student. I just want you to know you still have pretty good chance if you can improve your grade.
Good luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page