Uneven Sampling, or No?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Uneven Sampling, or No?
By Mikus (Mikus) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 06:42 pm: Edit

I think someone brought up a very good point--

"You like like everyone else on this site."

I am in no way trying to make a generalization-- everyone, obviously has their own strengths and weaknesses. But is it just me, or is the general quality of applicants on this SITE-- (IE: Scores, EC, Rank, etc.) *relatively* undeviant?

Just to get an opinion poll-- do you feel this is uneven sampling of the higher end of the applicant pool? Or is it just the realistic truth... we're virtually clones, and hardly any of us will get in to top-tier schools like the Ivies?

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 12:45 am: Edit

Please specify exactly what you mean by everyone has the same scores, ec, rank, etc...

I've seen quite a deviation from perfect SATs and EC crazy people to 1240 SAT folks with almost nothing of consequence for ECs.

However, I can see what you mean by generally, everyone is:

About 1500 SATI, 700's SAT II's
President of some club (chess, interact, wtv)
Piano player
Has a couple hundred hours of community service
Class rank usually in top 30
Varsity something (tennis, etc), I haven't seen football yet.

By Icee (Icee) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 01:26 am: Edit

I, myself, am also a deviation. I have a 1200 SAT and I don't play the piano. Lol.

By Yourlocalmayor (Yourlocalmayor) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 02:40 am: Edit

basketball here.

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 06:42 am: Edit

so what does that mean? 1500 is given out to top 2.5% of the SAT takers. So, where does it put the average posters, decide for yourself?

A related question:
How self selected is the Ivy-league pool? Do people with average scores, ecs and rank apply?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page