Are my chances slim?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Are my chances slim?
By Sunj (Sunj) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 10:54 pm: Edit

What are my chances of getting accepted into an ivy league school, mit, or caltech?

I was a horrible high school student. I dropped out for 4 months and got my GED then I went back to high school to complete my degree with the rest of my class, graduating with a 2.0 in the year 2000.

I took a bit of time to break from school and to work.

Now I'm in a community college and i have a 4.0 gpa, a 1580 on my SAT 1 (800 M, 780 V), won 3 national literary art competitions, member of Phi Theta Kappa (national honors society), published in school and national honors society anthology, I'm in the all-state academic team, community college tutor, and a member of the math club.

And my volunteer work includes tutoring elementry children and helping out on the national honors society events.

also... i am going to enter the a mathematics competition sponsored by AMATYC (American Mathematical Association of Two-Year Colleges)... My math instructer feels I have a good chance of placing in the state ranks.

I'm a physics major and I might double in creative writing.

Oh yeah... I'm not sure if this would help, but I'm also Samoan. ANd out of all my close friends (7 of us) only two of us graduated from high school... me being one of them. <---I was thinking that maybe that could be mentioned in my essay?

If I don't have a chance yet, then what could I do to improve it (if any)?

Thanks,
Jason

By Quarky (Quarky) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 11:07 pm: Edit

no, we dont like literary art people in here....

joshing ya, man. I don't know about transfer admissions, so let's wait for someone else to answer. Best of luck!!!

By Piccolo (Piccolo) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 11:45 pm: Edit

hey sunj i'm in a similiar situation check my post " Chances as a transfer student...", unfortunately there's not alot of people here that know alot about transfering and such. it seems this board is geared towards people those entering as freshman. From what i know.. colleges like to see you took challenging courses and that you good in them( as a member of phi theta kappa you obviously did). Volunter work and EC's are good as well. I honestly do not know how good or not you chances are of getting in so just keep on researching. Can anyone help us transfer students out?

By Mrme (Mrme) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 04:19 am: Edit

i wish u luck.... seriously...
and if i was on an ADCOM.. and i wish i was..id give u admission for trying so f ucking hard!

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 07:23 am: Edit

The kind of improvement you show is so exceptional that you might end up with a place in an ivy league.

(2.0 --> 4.0, that speaks for itself, 1580, awards, what else?)

By Sunj (Sunj) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 10:38 pm: Edit

Thanks for you input. I'm wondering what the credentials of successful transfer students were in the past... Anyone know of anything? I would most like to get into stanford or caltech (although caltech seems out of reach) because of it's location. And does anyone happen to know of the University of Washington's honar program? I hear they got a good thing going there in connection with some bill gates scholarship...

And Kk02... I was also thinking that my improvment would work to my benefit... but when I looked at stanford's transfer application, it only asked for my college records... eh, maybe it's for my own good. :)

THanks
Jason

By Salisha (Salisha) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 11:27 pm: Edit

Very true...I also posted under Transfer chances and got very little feedback

By Anathemacipher (Anathemacipher) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 01:45 am: Edit

Stanford looks for HS records as well. Look closely at the application.

March 15th is coming! Good luck to all of you!

Im applying to as a transfer to stanford as well. Although Im going for poli sci. Know how big of an impact ecs will have on application?

By Brownhopeful (Brownhopeful) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 12:00 pm: Edit

I know a girl at Brown who pretty much failed out of high school, then got her GED and moved to a farm in Montana or something. She started a company crocheting bikinis, which got really big, then she went back to high school or community college or something... and got into Brown... so there you go.

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 02:44 pm: Edit

Good for you, Sunj, that HS records aren't over-stressed. You've got a good shot.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page