Cornell Engineering likely letter

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Cornell Engineering likely letter
By Subjecttochange (Subjecttochange) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 10:16 pm: Edit

did anyone else get this in the mail today?

it was postmarked march 7th,

"Dear XXXXX,

I'm writing to let you know how much the Cornell Engineering Admissions Committee enjoyed reading your application. Your academic and personal achievements are outstanding and, although Ivy League schools won't notify students of their admission decisions until early April, it may help with your planning to know that you are very likely to be admitted to Cornell.

During the next few weeks and months you'll narrow your list of possible college choices to the one school you think is best for you. I hope this advance notice of our high regard for your application will encourage you to learn more about the College of Engineering and Cornell.

If you haven't had the chance to visit the campus, I invite you to do so...

*snip some ••••*

Please accept my congratulations on your many achievements. i wish you the very best as you complete your senior year, and I look forward to the possibility of welcoming you to the campus as a future Cornell engineer."

Hand signed by the director of engineering admissions.

So yeah, this definitely puts me more at ease, and prepares me for the doom that is MIT rejection letter next monday.

Does anyone know what percentage of Cornell engineer admits get this likely letter? Only the top 10% or just about every admit?

By Incognito (Incognito) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 11:42 pm: Edit

RESPOND TO MY POST ALREADY "SUBJECTTOCHANGE"!!!!!!!!!

By Cru (Cru) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 10:35 am: Edit

oh my god!!!
I envy you so~~~ much...
Jeese...
I want one of those too...

By Subjecttochange (Subjecttochange) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 11:24 pm: Edit

yeah, i found out that almost all admits got a likeley letter... so if you didn't get one, you probably didn't make it into Cornell.

By Cru (Cru) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 03:51 am: Edit

Are you serious?
Did all admits get one?
How do you know that?
What about international students?
Are you just joking?
I don't get it...
I had HIGH hopes for Cornell!!!

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 06:38 am: Edit

If all admits get a likely letter then they must sit idle in March, doing nothing but sealing envelopes, 'coz they already know who to admit.

I dont think that's the case. And dont worry Cru, if it was postmarked March 7, then you know it will take atleast until March 20th to reach you.

By Bakery (Bakery) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 03:33 pm: Edit

yeah i got the SAME likely letter this week...:) woohooo i'm excited...i nEVEr thought i'd get into cornell engineering...wow, i must say i was shocked to recieve the letter. but yeah...will everyone hear from MIT on monday for sure??

By Cru (Cru) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 08:44 pm: Edit

uh...
bakery...
where do you live?
are you an international student?
when was your letter postmarked?

By Bakery (Bakery) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 02:49 am: Edit

i live in ohio. i lost the envelope but the date on the letter is march 6 (so i'm guessing postmark march 7)...the letter is exactly the same as subjecttochange's (personally signed by Engineering Admissions Director).

here's why i never thought i'd get in:
SAT: m.730, v.750
c.rank: 7/365
SATII: mIIc-770, writ-750, chem-760

i mean i don't have much experience in physics (never taken an AP) or math (taking AB Calc right now and i have a B)....to tell u the truth, the only reason i applied to cornell engineering was because my parents sent in the application fee for it because they thought i wanted to apply to all the ivies, and so i was obligated to apply...i didn't want to write a research paper or whatever they wanted for the Arts and Sciences College...so i applied to the engineering school since they only had a couple short answer questions that i BSed....hell i don't even want to be an engineer, i want to be a doctor, so this acceptance really doesn't mean anything to me. i'm sorry Cru :(, i wish i could give it to you...

By Tim (Tim) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 04:42 am: Edit

"So yeah, this definitely puts me more at ease, and prepares me for the doom that is MIT rejection letter next monday."

Hah, yeah... me too.

"will everyone hear from MIT on monday for sure?? "

Letters were mailed out today...

Tim

By Cru (Cru) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 07:53 am: Edit

I don't get it
I applied to Cornell TWO times!!!
Oh my God!!!
I was waitlisted last time!
Even the engineering department asked me to apply for transfer!!
This year I have much better stats...
My apps look better overall!!!
I don't get it!!!
I should be getting the letter!!!

By Bakery (Bakery) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 01:59 pm: Edit

Cru: i don't think transfers get the likely letter...so you'll be getting the normal acceptance in april. good luck :)

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 02:21 pm: Edit

Cru, I dont think internationals get all that stuff. Dont bother with it. They consider financial aid at the end, after everything, and since cornell has limited aid for internationals, i doubt internationals are sent any such notification. keep calm. Ull have to wait till april to start worrying.

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 02:22 pm: Edit

another point, if they sent it on march 7th , internationals may not get it till the end of march anyway ! sheesh cru stop worrying.

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 01:02 am: Edit

Internationals do get some such letters, at least I got one by email (not Cornell).
Best of Luck, Cru, you're so damn obsessed with Cornell, you'd better get in!

By Chronoshock (Chronoshock) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 01:50 am: Edit

Subjecttochange: I recieved my MIT acceptance packet on Saturday, but then again I live like 15 minutes from MIT :) Anyways, I got that letter a week and a half ago as well.
It's funny because my friend who applied to the school of architecture got one as well, but he said it explicitly stated that he will be admitted (rather than "very likely admitted") which seems to violate Ivy League rules.
If you did not recieve a letter, I wouldn't worry about. My friend (the one who applied to the school of architecture) has a college coach who told him that the people that got those letters were those who scored in the top 5% of all applicants (Cornell grades applicants by giving them a score based on academic and extra-curricular achievements). Not sure how accurate that is, but it gives you a general idea.

By Subjecttochange (Subjecttochange) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 02:03 am: Edit

i should get my MIT rejection on monday.

if i don't rejected, i am gonna call up the admission office and double check just to be sure.

if i do get rejected, i will still call up the admission office, and lq3kejskldfjlasehjs.

naw, i actually don't care about MIT that much. i think being in a more social environment than MIT would be more beneficial to my intended future career in international business

By Chronoshock (Chronoshock) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 02:06 am: Edit

lq3kejskldfjlasehjs eh? Sounds like a plan. Actually from what I hear, MIT has a lot of parties. If you choose to do that though, you need to cut back on either homework or sleep. I can manage to cut back on sleep :) I've gotten used to around 3-4 hours on weekdays. Anyways, good luck, MIT has a great business school.

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 06:08 am: Edit

Hey KK2.. what letter did u get? which college?

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 02:28 pm: Edit

I got my letter from Columbia School of Engineering. I dont know if the school is any good for engineering. Any opinions?

By Cru (Cru) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 12:10 am: Edit

hmmm...
I also applied to Columbia Engineering
When did you get the email?
Where do you live?

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 07:15 am: Edit

thanx. Im duno much about columbia myself.

By Irasmus (Irasmus) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 09:05 am: Edit

kk02, congratulations on Columbia likely letter! where are you from? do you need any financial aid?

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 10:46 am: Edit

Hello,
I got the notification on 13th. I know Columbia is good, but I dont know the strength of the engineering program. The flexibility of changing majors, doing double majors, etc. Please share your ideas! I'm from New Delhi.

By Irasmus (Irasmus) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 11:04 am: Edit

i know another international who has also got the columbia likely. did they send to all international acceptees, or only those who don't need finaid, or just a small portion of the top applicants? i applied to columbia seas (applied science) but i think cornell has a better engr program. oh and i didn't get the email. let's hope that i didn't get screwed.

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 02:27 pm: Edit

Lets hope so! Which city does your friend live in Irasmus? I don't think its only for international students. I agree Cornell's program is superior, but I don't know how this one compares to Cornell, Stanford or probably MIT in terms of grad school placements, jobs and resources.

By Jsagoff (Jsagoff) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 02:45 pm: Edit

Does Cornell A&S send likely letters? And, if so, how many approximately?

Thanks.

By Cornellian07 (Cornellian07) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 06:25 pm: Edit

To answer the Columbia engineering question, it is not as good as Cornell engineering. This is not bias speaking, this is a fact. Among the ivies (who generally aren't known for their engineering), they are average. Cornell definitely has the best engineering in the ivy league, with Princeton not too far behind. Other than those two, go to Georgia Tech or UMich or UIUC or some place like that for engineering.

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 02:54 am: Edit

I agree. But, if I could double-major with some course in Columbia College then it could be worthwhile. For example, Engg-Business major.

Thanks for your comments.

By Irasmus (Irasmus) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 03:57 am: Edit

my friend is a canadian. yea, well they sent to many domestics as well. just wondering whether they sent to EVERY int'l acceptee

By Rohitram01 (Rohitram01) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 11:57 pm: Edit

does anyone know when we will be receiving the cornell letters... the website says starting Mid March and I haven't gotten anything yet, and some here say second week of April. I don't know... some tell me when exactly they will mail it out. The online status is not helpful atall. we only get to see that the day they mail all the other letters out. Just curious

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 01:15 am: Edit

April: ivies send out acceptances on a common date, in April.-i think

By Timepass (Timepass) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 04:04 am: Edit

April 2nd is the date when the ivies send out their admission decisions,at least brown and dartmouth do that.

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 04:35 am: Edit

yeah i also think its april 2nd, but not too sure.

By Irasmus (Irasmus) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 11:00 am: Edit

KK02, once again this question, do you need financial aid? i'm trying to figure out whether columbia has sent the likely to all the international acceptees. Thanks.

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 03:07 pm: Edit

My financial aid situation is complex, u'd have to draw your conclusions some other way. Whether my admission is need-blind? "Yes" it is to the best of my knowledge.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page