I need some advice concerning strategy...PLEASE READ!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: I need some advice concerning strategy...PLEASE READ!!!
By Howdydoody (Howdydoody) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 09:19 pm: Edit

I recently received an early admissions offer from a very prestigious liberal arts college. While it is a really great school, there is another school that I would much rather attend. In your opinion, would it be smart to write this other school stating that I received this offer from the liberal arts college but [insert the college here] is still my first choice and I hope to attend next Fall. I do not want to come across as a braggart or self-serving, but maybe the fact that the LAC made this offer to me will spur them to review my application again. I know that the colleges are in constant competition with each other for ranking, money, prestige, etc., so the knowledge of my acceptance might make me seem more desirable and it could give me another opportunity to assert my commitment to their school. The school I want to attend may jump at the chance to steal away one of the top applicants at the LAC that accepted me.

In everyone's opinion, is this a good strategy or should I not inform the school? Should I send them a copy of the two page letter of admission as proof? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 09:34 pm: Edit

I wouldn't recommend doing that. You run the risk of the college you really wanted to attend saying you're welcome to attend the other college. If you were really so interested in the college to which you have yet to receive admittance, you would have applied ED. That's the only true way to indicate extreme interests. However, if you have additions to your applications, new awards, etc.......write your admissions counselor about that to grab some more attention for your application.

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 10:00 pm: Edit

I think you should go ahead and send them the copy of your acceptance letter, either way, it might be just too late for them to change the decision now, and if they admitted you already, they won't cancel your admission just for mailing them another college's adm. letter.

Its common practice for recruited athletes, I've heard, only that their decision is unofficially passed on to them in Jan/Feb.

By Tuannguyen (Tuannguyen) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 10:29 pm: Edit

If they would have rejected you in the first place, an acceptance letter from another school probably wouldn't make any difference. Why would they accept someone they truly don't want just to •••• off the neighboring school when they could have accepted a student that they would have liked better?

If they want to accept you, they would. Personally, if i was an admission officer i would think you were INSULTING me and the school. You're having doubts with our system of acceptance. Plus, if the other school was truly a rival they would reject you. Just to show that people of that schools level isn't at the same "superior" level as theirs. You know, that trying to show superiority thing.

But that's through theory.

It could turn out good, i'm just a bit pessimistic today.

By Tuannguyen (Tuannguyen) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Why is p*ss censored? It's related to urination, it shouldn't be anymore offencive than crap.

By Howdydoody (Howdydoody) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 10:50 pm: Edit

I recently had a new grade issued, and I was going to write them about that and my new GPA. The mentioning of the other acceptance was not going to be the focus of the letter, but instead a "side-note." I would probably write something to the effect of: "Recently I learned of my acceptance to xxxx, and while I am flattered to have the school court me, I am confident that xxx is the right school for me and I will definitely attend if accepted." Do you still think that it would be a bad idea?

By Tuannguyen (Tuannguyen) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 12:32 am: Edit

I think a side-note is a pretty good idea. It's a lot safer than your first idea.

I would try it... Wouldn't hurt too much.

By Howdydoody (Howdydoody) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 01:07 am: Edit

You think it could help, though? I really am uncertain on this, it could go either way. What I would give to get inside an admission officer's head! :)

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 01:42 am: Edit

A side note is a better idea, but still dangerous. I still recommend focusing on your achievements without mention of another college. Admissions' purpose is not to have a betting war over you, which is essentially what you're hoping will happen. As long as your acceptance of the EA school is not required before your notification by the college you truly want, keep quiet about any other offers. While mentioning your offer could impress an admissions counselor, more than likely it will just upset them. This is a worst case scenario, and you should never go into a situation where the consequences are that you will end up not in the school you truly desire. Quit messing with the system, if you are a good enough applicant to get in at one prestigious liberal arts college, you more than likely will be accepted at the other as well.

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 07:30 am: Edit

Its not messing with the system, the system doesn't deny, prohibit or make such a practice sound taboo. However, on second thought, if there's even a slightest possibility of it doing any harm, then avoid it.

By Howdydoody (Howdydoody) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 12:31 pm: Edit

Thank you for the advice. It sounds like you are probably right on. The offer that was made to me was not really early action, but one where the school notifies the top 200 applicants or so of their acceptance two months before the rest of the regular decision pack. Does this change things?

By Howdydoody (Howdydoody) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 07:54 pm: Edit

bump

By Howdydoody (Howdydoody) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 12:33 am: Edit

bump

By Howdydoody (Howdydoody) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 12:34 pm: Edit

bump

By Brownuniversity (Brownuniversity) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 05:19 pm: Edit

thats the dumbest idea i have ever heard. DONT do that.

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 12:19 pm: Edit

They probably might not even read it now, some important committee decisions occupy the last few weeks.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 12:25 pm: Edit

For once, I have to agree with Brownuniversity.

I think that the committee reads what you send them, though if they've already made their admission decision they might not. I sent a short letter to all my admissions counselors when I had several accomplishments in a row, and they all said that they would add that to my application file for consideration during the application process.

By Howdydoody (Howdydoody) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 04:08 pm: Edit

Out of curiosity, how were you able to find out who your admissions counselors are? Do you know them by name? What school was this for? I was never notified as to who my councelors are, and I thought that more than one person reviews your app anyway. Sorry for the stupidity, and thank you for your opinions. :)

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 04:44 pm: Edit

Well, I went online to the college's site and looked in the Admissions area for a link to the Admissions staff. Not all schools have this, but some do. Anyway, look for the admissions counselor that covers your state and their address is usually listed. I've met 2 of my admissions counselors, but I had to search for the rest. If you can't find it online, call the school and ask for the name and email address of the admissions counselor for your state. You don't have to identify yourself, it's just a receptionist--your counselor is not going to answer the phone, so don't worry about that. I did this for Yale, Dartmouth, Wellesley, Smith, Vassar, Middlebury, Grinnell, Mount Holyoke, and Dickinson. Your application is read by the entire committee when you've made it past the first stage, but your state counselor is responsible for the preliminary round. Obviously you can't contact the entire committee, but personal contact with the person most able to help your cause and in charge of your file will probably only help your chances. At least, I think that's how it works.

But, do not send them a copy of your admissions letter to another school. This will probably reflect poorly on you.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page