SENIORITIS

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: SENIORITIS
By Shisss (Shisss) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 09:11 pm: Edit

i have an early attack of senioritis (im a junior) i need some motivation quick for the last quarter! anybody disgustingly smart or who knows someone disgustingly smart, post the stats so i feel guilty and then start working. thx

By Arthur (Arthur) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 09:17 pm: Edit

i have had seniorities since first quarter freshman year.

By Brownuniversity (Brownuniversity) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 09:18 pm: Edit

dont worry, there is no point in trying in high school or in life. im not kidding. just have a good time and do enough so that you learn things you want to learn and you get by. ive always peaced out busy work and anything i wasnt interested in. learn what you want to learn and try hard with that. for everything else, just cheat.

it got me in.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 09:24 pm: Edit

Yeah, I got senioritis after Christmas Break last year. Seriously, shape up!! You will be completely miserable if you jeopardize your college chances because you felt apathetic the year before. I ended up with a "C" in AP chem and a 3 on the test because I couldn't be bothered to work. Now, I'm working my bum off with AP classes this year so that I'll still get my AP national award--and I can barely enjoy my senior year. Also, research where you want to go to college next year and send your part 1 of the application in September or October, this will seriously cut down on your stress level. I know it sucks, but get your act together before you mess everything up.

By Pisces (Pisces) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 10:27 pm: Edit

You do not know what senioritis is. Every junior thinks they have it- but they dont. At least you know that your work MATTERS. We (seniors) have a few months left and it does not matter one bit whether we get an A or a B or a C. Colleges have made their decisions and we're just biding our time til graduation. There's a difference between being lazy and having senioritis- not a big one, but it's there.

By Cornellian07 (Cornellian07) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 10:34 pm: Edit

Pisces is very correct. I thought last year I was slacking off with my *gasp* 3.9 GPA, but this year, I am getting somewhere around 3.2 or 3.3 GPA, and I haven't done homework for as long as I can remember. As soon as that Cornell ED acceptance letter arrived at my house on December 11, 2002, I became a true second semester senior. Just stick it out the last quarter of your junior year, and when that acceptance letter from the college of your dreams arrives on your front porch, you will be glad you listened to me.

By Mzinn (Mzinn) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 01:35 am: Edit

I agree, Pisces. I thought I had senioritis last year (junior year) after AP tests. But just wait until every morning is a struggle to get up. I already have 7 "sick" days and the semester isn't even halfway done. I don't think it's because of college admissions results though. I mean, I'm just sick of high school. It's just the little things that pis$ me off, like when teachers insist on reading in class. WTF, this isn't pre-school. Or when you get lectured for being late to class. Anyways, just hang in there man. Trust me, Junior year is THE WORST time to start slacking off.

I think one reason we all get senioritis is because everybody is always saying how senior year is so easy. That's the biggest myth ever. So far (even with all the slacking off) this has been the most stressful year ever for me. Your parents might have been able to cruise through senior year and still manage to get into a good university. Midyear reports and intense competition nowadays have changed all that.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 01:45 am: Edit

I've heard of students getting their ED acceptances revoked because of serious slacking off second semester.

By Pisces (Pisces) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 05:13 pm: Edit

Mzinn is right about the senior year myth. I was told that junior year is so hard and then senior year is a breeze. Wrong! Junior year is hard and senior year is ten times harder. Not only to you have more APs (for most of us) but there's the first four months of college searching, essay writing, interviewing... I was quite disappointed since i expected to slide thru this year. I know what Kalitiha is talking about though, with rescinding acceptances- but when we (as in the people on this board) say slack off, we actually mean let ourselves get B's (maybe, maybe a C). Most of the people i've talked to who got in ED (those lucky ones) say they cant get anything below a C.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 07:07 pm: Edit

Well, senior year is probably easy for the extreme majority of our classmates. Most of the simpletons I know are quite happy to attend the local community college or state university--both of which require a pulse as the only requirement for admittance. It's just people like most of us, achievers that want to go to a selective college, whose senior year is stressful.

So, Shisss, if you have any dreams of the Ivy League and highly selective colleges, work through the laziness, and next year, somehow find a way to pull your butt out of bed in the morning.

By B18c1cx (B18c1cx) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 07:45 pm: Edit

I am not expected to do shyt anymore.
-Senior private school student

By Icee (Icee) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 01:33 am: Edit

I've been unknowingly (serious) having senioritis for the past two months or so. I mean, I allowed myself to get a D on a math test... hehe. I only have one quarter left and seriously... I want to enjoy what's left of my senior year.

I agree with most of you though, senior year has been extremely difficult with college applications and all.

By Nyguy (Nyguy) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 07:01 am: Edit

yeah senior year was nearly ruined by apps, but the merit scholarships i am being offered help make it a lot nicer. I cant wait for 3rd quarter and rankings to end so i can really slack off. lol i just want to have fun and it seems like i wont be doin shyt after aps. yay life gets great

By Militarygrade (Militarygrade) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 09:37 pm: Edit

Hey Kalitiha -

Watch who you are calling a "simpleton."

I f*cked off BIG TIME in high school. Had the best four years of my life, while I watched over-acheivers go bald and get grey hair.

I joined the Marine Corps. Then sold Ferraris. I've spent the past year and a half in Comminuty College, and I've spent almost ZERO dollars and I'm halfway done with college. I'm transferring to Berkeley in the fall with a 4.0 and numerous academic awards on a FULL RIDE.

Just because I didn't spend my entire childhood being a slave to high school doesn't, by ANY stretch of the imagination, make me a simpleton.

I resent that remark, especially coming from an 18 year old punk who can barely pi$$ straight.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 10:19 pm: Edit

Kalitiha

wtf, you call people simpletons, my brother goes to a state school, he started as a second semester sophomre with 45 credits, He went to state school cuz he couldn't afford private.
Just because you go to ivy doesn't mean you can call others simpletons.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 10:23 pm: Edit

and yeah he came to the country when he was a sophomore in hs, think you would be able to take 6 AP's and getting 3.9 gpa 6 months after first day in school in a different country?

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 10:26 pm: Edit

I would seriously calm down and not take this personally... Just because what Kalitiha said may have been wrong is no reason to go crazy... relax dude.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 12:24 am: Edit

Oh boy! What a reaction. I don't believe that I mentioned one bad thing about people that go to community or state universities.

I said: "Most of the simpletons I know are quite happy to attend the local community college or state university--both of which require a pulse as the only requirement for admittance."

This specificly refers to the people I KNOW.....not the entire population of people attending community or state colleges. And I mean it when I say 'simpletons' because that's what most of MY classmates are, only 33% of the people in my class are planning on attending any sort of college. And most of those that are, applied to one state university or community college, they aren't stressing out or worrying about their futures. They will graduate, barely, and come home and raise their idiotic little children, into infinity. It's how most of their families operate, and probably always will. I meant no disrespect to those who attended community college or a state university, but I would encourage others to read more closely because I never once said or implied that for the majority of people either of these types of schools are a bad route. And in states like California, the state universities are very good--not the case for most of the departments at the state university of choice in my school.

Sidebar: Yes, it is indeed very difficult for a 17 year old female 'punk' to p!ss straight, it's not like I have aiming equipment. But I thank you for your concern over my control of bodily functions.

By Burberry (Burberry) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 01:02 am: Edit

"Oh boy! What a reaction. I don't believe that I mentioned one bad thing about people that go to community or state universities."

Well, now you've done it-

"...only 33% of the people in my class are planning on attending any sort of college. And most of those that are, applied to one state university or community college, they aren't stressing out or worrying about their futures. They will graduate, barely, and come home and raise their idiotic little children, into infinity. It's how most of their families operate, and probably always will."

Congratulations on being the world's most pompous, ignorant troll!

FYI, BOTH of my parents attended CC, married young, and yes, *gasp* had their own "idiotic little children."

So according to your superior intellect, just because I was born to people who did not know the language at the time they came to this country (as high school students, and therefore had no other options but CC, as is the case for MANY people who end up there), I am by default an "idiotic child."

But you know what's really funny? Contrary to what you believe, I don't intend to "come home and raise [my] idiotic little children, into infinity." In fact, I will be attending a nationally accredited 4-year university under 3 different scholarships, so this little idiotic child does indeed "[stress] and [worry] about [her] future."

In conclusion, before making any more elitist, IGNORANT comments, I suggest you stuff it, Kalitiha.

Have a nice day.

By Militarygrade (Militarygrade) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 01:31 am: Edit

Thanks for increasing my dislike for you, Kalitiha.

Maybe when you are older, or have experienced more of the world, you might understand how short-sighted, snobby, and absolutely arrogant your comments are.

Enjoy the ivies! You'll love the snobbery, that's for sure.

Your's truly,

A simpleton who barely graduated high school.

By Beasley (Beasley) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 10:00 am: Edit

Everyone, lay the •••• off Kalitiha. She has made a good point and you all are too ignorant to understand syntax and context. You have the nerve to disrespect her in a childish literal mechanism of regression. Look at the context and syntax of her remarks. If you don't understand what she is saying, do us a favor and stop posting. If you truly believe what you have posted, you proliferate the inadequacy which brings about evil.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 11:59 am: Edit

Thank you Beasley.

And for the last and final time, I am speaking directly about the people in my town, in my school. Not YOU, not your brother, parents, or anybody else you may know unless you live in my town which you most certainly do not.

Burberry, quit assuming that you know me. My father is an immigrant and not highly educated, but I would never for one minute assumed that he is in some way inferior.

By Shisss (Shisss) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 05:17 pm: Edit

we were talkin bout senioritis remember...

By Militarygrade (Militarygrade) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Beasley, Beasley, Beasley.

You tossed in enough 50 cent words to impress a college prof! Good job! Whudja score on you SAT verbals?

Idiot. YOU need to learn syntax and context, because the way she worded what she said, anyone who doesn't care too much in HS is a SIMPLETON. Plain and simple.

She read my response, as well as Burberry's. If SHE understood context and syntax, she may have said "I guess someone MAY have taken what I said the wrong way. Maybe I outta apologize..."

But she didn't.

Instead she defends her position. Then you, with your ever-so-impressive vocabulary (does it make you feel smart to write $hit like that??) come in and defend her, without understanding the CONTEXT AND SYNTAX.

Lay off, big bubba. You may be the "top dog" at your HS, but you ain't nutin' but Jack and $hit in the real world.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 08:56 pm: Edit

The way I worded it and the way I meant it were that the people in my high school didn't care and are simpletons.

I'm not going to apologize because you chose to imbue your own meaning to my words. It's too bad that you've been offended, but I never meant to do that, and I never wrote anything that said every person that goes to state universities or community college suck. I said over and over again that the people in my town were the only people I was talking about. And you chose over and over again to misunderstand what I was saying. I feel like I'm owed an apology for your disrespectful posts toward me, when I've tried to be courteous toward you. Beasley had every right to point out that I never once spoke about the entire population of CC and State university attendees. I will not apologize for words and ideas that I never once expressed: ie. that anybody who goes to CC or a state university is a simpleton, regardless of age, state, or ethnic background.

And, Militarygrade, I'm sorry that you didn't get into UC Santa Cruz or Santa Barbara...can't remember which...because your stats are truly impressive, and I expressed that feeling in your thread--and you may remember I expressed my frustration with my own town at that time as well. But, even if you are going to Berkley, you seem to have some sort of lingering hostility about something--maybe that other rejection?--and I don't appreciate you taking that out on me.

By Sabzevarian (Sabzevarian) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 01:35 am: Edit

http://www.csicop.org/si/9611/cartoon-evolution.gif

By Icee (Icee) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 02:06 am: Edit

Back to the senioritis subject...

Does 4th quarter really matter?

Oh, and are any of you valedictorians?

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 11:03 am: Edit

Well, in my school, all the grades matter until you are finished. They don't tabulate the final class rank until a week before graduation, when seniors get out of school. I will be valedictorian, but I'm not currently in the first spot.

By Militarygrade (Militarygrade) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 01:56 pm: Edit

Hey Kal -

I don't mean to be a total d!ck, so I apologize if I got a little mean.

I just think you need to rethink your attitude towards some of the people in your town. While they may not be completely absorbed by college now, that doesn't make them simpletons, or their children idiots. Perhaps if you got to know them, you might find that they are great at something that doesn't require collge, or that their dreams revolve around something totally foreign to yours.

I'm just asking that you not judge people on their desires to go to school.

Anyways, no hard feelings, and good luck with college.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 03:46 pm: Edit

Thank you for trying to understand my point, I really appreciate that and I don't want to argue anymore either. It may seem like my views of my classmates are based totally on their college plans, but I've gone to school with these people for 10 years. I know a lot more about them than just college, and that's mostly what I don't like about them. I wish you the best of luck at Berkeley!

By Mzinn (Mzinn) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 05:09 pm: Edit

Any of you guys seen that one photo with a kid running in the special olympics? The caption says something like "arguing on the internet is like competing in the special olympics; even if you win you're still retarded" thought it was funny (pardon my being politically incorrect.) this thread just reminded me of it... at least you guys killed it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page