How Bad?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: How Bad?
By Josh (Josh) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 03:01 pm: Edit

I applied to Yale RD and I indicated that I would probably major in biology. Will it look bad that I haven't taken AP Bio? I can't help that I haven't b/c I go to a public high school that does not offer AP Bio.

By Asdf (Asdf) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 04:16 pm: Edit

Josh, if your school doesn't offer AP Bio, Yale will not expect you to have taken it.

By Studiousvegetar (Studiousvegetar) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 09:18 pm: Edit

You can try taking an intro biology course at a community college.

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 09:28 pm: Edit

How do they know that you don't study Bio outside of the classroom? I don't know if this is true or not but perhaps they will assume that if you are SO interested you have been teaching yourself?
Also, since most people are undecided I think that just knowing the direction you want to go in will appear to be a good thing. I think it looks better than putting undecided on an app. even though there is nothing wrong with being undecided.

By Kacey9290 (Kacey9290) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 06:29 am: Edit

I once took a peak at the secondary school reports that colleges give, and there is a slot where your HS counselor fills in something like the most advanced course your school offers in this subject. If yale has one of those slots, just remind your counselor of your situation and I think he/she'll write a little note telling them about your case.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page