Battle of the High Schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Battle of the High Schools
By Olive_Oil (Olive_Oil) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 08:58 pm: Edit

I am an eighth grade student applying to private high schools. I applied to six schools in San Francisco, but two of them are my first choices. I cannot at all decide between the two. I'd appreciate any opinions on which one I should attend--

School #1: St. Ignatius College Prep (http://www.siprep.org)
I go to a parochial school in San Francisco, and about half of the people in my class go to SI every year, so I would already have friends at the school if I went here. It is a pretty large school. It has really good sports teams, and lots of different clubs and extra-curriculars to participate in. The school is good academically, and 96% attend college very year. The main downside for me is that it is very religious. I know many people who go there and really love the school, and I am pretty sure that I would enjoy it.

School #2:San Francisco University High School
(http://www.sfuhs.org)
I don't know anyone at all at UHS, and I have only heard of one person from my school who has ever gone there. It is extremely hard to get into, and has really good academics. (Most of the students attend top-tier universities) When I visited the school, I was very impressed by interesting classes and the motivation of the students. The downside to UHS is that it is pretty small, which means it has a lot less extracurriculars. I know a lot less about the students here then at SI.

What factors should I be considering when looking at these schools? From your own experience in high school, is there anything that you would consider important when choosing a high school? From what I wrote about the two schools, which do you think I should go to?

BTW~ I have pretty much been accepted to both of them, and I need to decide soon!

By Incognito (Incognito) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 09:13 pm: Edit

Olive Oil!!!!!! You're back! How did you do on the test?

By Olive_Oil (Olive_Oil) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 09:47 pm: Edit

LOL! Hey incog! I can't believe you remembered me!I got 1300 (670V, 630m) I'm satisfied with that score for now, of course I'm hoping for improvement by the time I'm a junior.

By Olive_Oil (Olive_Oil) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 09:54 pm: Edit

Also--any advice about high schools?

By Incognito (Incognito) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 10:13 pm: Edit

Well...it depends on your own values and how you prioritize things. You ask about my experiences in HS. I go to a really crappy run-down HS that is probably one of the worst in the state, so my advice on HSs would be virtually worthless. But congrats on your score, and good luck in HS!

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 10:57 pm: Edit

Well, you need to decide which is more important: friends or not a lot of religion. It seems like both have good academics, though the second may have better. As long as you can be in what you're interested in both schools, you shouldn't worry about the size. Make a pro-con list for each school and pick the one with more cons. I think it's really great that you're looking at prep schools, I wish I had gone to one, but I just go to a really selective public school.

By Tim (Tim) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 03:13 am: Edit

If Catholic schools over on the West Coast are anything like the ones over here, plan on losing your religion if you pick #1.

Tim

By Brownhopeful (Brownhopeful) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 04:35 pm: Edit

Definitely University. I am from San Fran too, and University has the best rep out of all of them... although lick wilmerding is pretty good too ... I'm surprised you aren't thinking of it...

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 06:04 pm: Edit

religion blows

By Olive_Oil (Olive_Oil) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 06:41 pm: Edit

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Brownhopeful- I applied to Lick Wilmerding, University, Convent, SI, SH, and Lowell. Lick is a really good school, but I just really liked SI and University when I visited them.
BTW~ Where did you go to high school?

By Brownhopeful (Brownhopeful) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 09:27 pm: Edit

actually i am from the east bay and go to head-royce, but I have a lot of friends at lick, and they really like it. university is the best and nicest looking of all of them ... except maybe branson.

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 02:54 am: Edit

Kali mixed her message, pick the one with the most pros and if you need a tie breaker look at the EC's that are not shared. Do you have a passion to pursue any that are not offered at University? Is there any hope of developing this addition to the offerings? Inquire and express your disappointment that their EC's don't seem to be quite on a par with their chief competitors-the problem could rectify itself before next fall. Good Luck!

By Olive_Oil (Olive_Oil) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 12:28 am: Edit

Thanks everyone for the advice~ I just found out I got in at both schools! I'm most likely going to go with the second one, but I would still appreciate any more advice!

By Aurelia (Aurelia) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 02:25 am: Edit

Hey! I'm from SF too. From what I hear, I think that University is better than SI. Congratulations on your acceptances!

By Ephnayllie (Ephnayllie) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 02:35 am: Edit

What no consideration given to Lowell? lol.

By Will343 (Will343) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 02:12 am: Edit

Since you all are talking about private high schools in the bay area I was just wondering if any of you have heard of Justin-Siena in Napa and what kind of reputation it has.

By Will343 (Will343) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 06:22 pm: Edit

bump

By Aurelia (Aurelia) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 09:04 pm: Edit

Nope, I haven't heard of it, sorry.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page