Brown PLME - Do I Have a Chance?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Brown PLME - Do I Have a Chance?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Archive through October 23, 2002  20   10/23 01:17am

By Prashanth Gogomasalawala on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 04:10 pm: Edit

I'm applying to PLME and I have a 1590 SAT I, 800's on SAT II's of Writing, Math IIC, and Physics. I'm ranked 1 in my class of 700, am the president and editor and chief of the yearbook and newspaper. I won the state championship as oralist on the math team and as JETS contestant in physics, English, and biology. I've done medical research on proton inhibitor drugs on vitamin B12 deficiency disorders. I am the current national high school chess champion, going to the world championship in the summer. I've also done research on graviton theory and celestial mechanics at Stanford University. I've won the state championship for number 2 doubles. An I've discovered and catalogued seven new species of beetles during the summer in the rain forests of Brazil.
PLME is my bizzatch!!!!

By Gopal on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 08:31 pm: Edit

Hey, hey hey. Some of us want to be engineers too.

By Gopal on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 10:42 pm: Edit

Michigan

By Fracturedcow (Fracturedcow) on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 08:41 pm: Edit

I have already applied to Brown PLME for early decision... and im just wondering if i have ANY chance of getting in.. wait.. who am i kidding..
(ive been looking at other people's stats, and realized these are the people im competing with.. jeez)

my stats: 3.8 GPA (unweighted), 1460 (660V, 800M) SAT, 790 SAT II Bio, 770 SAT II Math 2C, 730 Writing, AP Calculus BC 5, AP US History 4...

currently taking:
AP English, AP Biology, AP European History, Scinece Research, Physics, Economics, Band...

Extracurricular Activities:
4 years of hospital volunteering, 3 years of peer tutoring, Science Honors Program at Columbia University, CTY Program at Johns Hopkins, captain of the math team, 3 years of jazz band, 5 years of band, lots of piano recitals and sent a recording of my own performance (have been playing since I was 4), doing genetics research at Columbia University with grad students.. will participate in INTEL competition (both national and international), science club, french club, JV tennis, writing center tutor, various awards/recognition in math and sciences...

Minority: Asian...

H A R H A R H A R....

By crap on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 09:18 pm: Edit

You're in or at least you have a great shot. What's your approximate rank? I don't really know how hard it is to get in. Is it really harder than getting into Harvard, Princeton? If it is then let me shiton my face.

By Fracturedcow (Fracturedcow) on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 10:27 pm: Edit

my school does not rank.. but i think im in the top 10~20 percent.. by the way, there are only 60 people in my grade (a small public school in NY.. suburbia hooray!)

By Sean on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 10:41 pm: Edit

Uhmmm... PLME is the most competitive undergraduate program in the nation; it acceptes about 2% of its applicants every year.

By Biggity on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 12:43 am: Edit

Extra-Curricular Activities:
Speech and Debate- 4 Years, Treasurer 12th Grade, Event Chair 12th Grade
Leland FIRST Robotics- 10th &12th, 10th- Director of Public Relations, and Fund Raising, 12th- Project Coordinator
Science Club Co-Founder and Co-President
Math Club 9-12, Intramural writer 12th
MESA- 9th, Treasurer
Chess Club, 11th and 12th, Vice President
Leland Film Maker’s Club, Co-Founder, and Secretary, Made two Films- 10
Member of CSF- 10-12
FBLA- 11th and 12th Apply for Commission Head 12th
Writer of Leland Leviathan- 12
Member of Model U.N., 11th and 12th
Peer Tutor with 20 Hours of service, will have 50 by time of Graduation
50 hours of Volunteer Service at Church- 9-12
50 Hours of Volunteer Service at Santa Clara Valley Medical- 11-12
4o hours Link Crew Leader- 12th
Board Member of Red Cross Chapter at my School- 11-12th

Awards/Honors Received:
3rd Place, Humorous Interpretation at SCU Speech Invitational
5th Place, Humorous Interpretation at CFL League Tournament
Quarterfinalist at James Logan Speech invitational
Semifinalist at CFL State Qualification tournament
5th Place Humorous Interpretation at CFL League Tournament
3rd place Congress at CFL Congress League Tournament
2nd place at CFL State Qualification Tournament, State Qualifier
4th place Humurous Interpretation CFL League Tournament
2nd Place Dramatic Interp. CFL League Tournament
Quarterfinalist Humurous Interpretation Martin Luther King Jr. Invitational
3rd place Dramatic Interp. State Qualification tournament, State Qualifier
3rd place Humurous Interp. At CFL National Qualification Tournament
California Governor’s Scholar Awards:
Algebra- High Honors
English- Honors
Biology- Recognition
US History- High Honors
Spanish- Recognition

Academic Statistics:
GPA:
3.97 Un-weighted
4.3 Weighted
Class Rank: 29/430

Senior Year Schedule:

Calculus: AB AP
Physics Honors
Econ. Honors/Gov. Honors
Chemistry AP
English AP
Oral Interpretation

Standardized Testing:
SAT I:
V: 690
M: 660

ACT- (retake)
Composite 29
• English 27
• Math 29
• Science 29
• Reading 29

SAT II- (retake)
• Writing 680
• Math IIC 620
• Biology-M 680
• US History 670

AP Testing
• Biology 4
• US History 4

I will have awesome essays, and excellent teacher recs wat do u guys think gimme some percentages

By Fiz6 on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 04:11 am: Edit

Biggity,

You have tons of extracirruculars, but your SAT 1's and 2's are slightly lower than what you need to get into MIT/Caltech. go to www.review.com and search for your choice colleges. Under the "admissions" tab, you will find average SAT scores.

By Biggity on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 10:21 am: Edit

hey Fiz6 thanks but i really wasn't shootin for MIT/Caltech anyway, i wouldnt go there either way..i heard at caltech that the school is funding for underground passage tunnels so there studnets dont have to see the light...Anyway, Im pretty sure I can bring up my SAT II to at least 750, 750, 700, The thing is Im a pretty smart person, its just that when it comes to standarized tests i just stress out and lokc up during the test I rush through everything, and think i did fine, so it's not like i dont know the stuff its just that (and Im not trying to make excuses) Im not a very good test taker, do u guys think I have a shot at PLME, cuz my essays are gonna be killers

By Despirate........... on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 08:44 pm: Edit

Can PLME05 please list his/her email address so that I can ask you some questions....Please, I am despirately in need of some advice, with someone who has actually got some experience into getting into a ba/md program thank you very much.

By help on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 09:31 am: Edit

I want some advice also. Anyone know/has experience with BA/MD programs? ne1

By anotherPLME05 on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 04:32 am: Edit

Hi All,

Hopefully I can shed a little more light. I am waiting for my laundry to finish at 4am on sunday night and found this site thanks to a friend who was looking up stuff about PLME. First of all, some might be curious for stats so here goes: top test scores and grades, no real ECs at school except some sports, no major awards, and a medical shadowing type program or two at local hospitals. Followed by, what I look back on as amazing essays, which I thought to be worthless at the time. When you compare these stats to those of the other PLME05, you'll realize that there is no mold for accepted students. So don't worry so much about the stats, and focus on the part of the application that you still have most control over: the essays. Based on the PLMEs I know here, it really is about showing that you'll be a great doctor with an interesting personality instead of just a scientist. So if you want some advice, mold your application to emphasize a well rounded person who would be interested in being a good doctor as well as using his undergraduate time to improve himself in something outside of science. They are choosing future doctors here, so they want someone who can both handle the science and take care of people. The application pool is overflowing with the former so you have to focus on the latter to get in. As a side note, if you get in PLME, don't think twice about coming to Brown...it's probably the best decision I've made in my life thus far, and it's made my college experience amazing. Good luck to you all and be sure to have a great time the rest of senior year.

By Help on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 09:33 pm: Edit

AnotherPLME05 could you please list your email address, so that I can ask you some questions...Thank you very much.

By nevergettingin on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 05:16 am: Edit

i've also applied to PLME, and after looking at the stats of the people above I'm beyond discouraged. But hey, I'm just going to keep hoping and see what happens. Stop worrying guys; it's too late for that now. Just enjoy the rest of high school :O!

By Bump on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 01:32 pm: Edit

Bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By AnotherPLME05 on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 05:58 pm: Edit

Just ask them here or leave me an email address and I'll mail you when I have a chance.

By Fracturedcow on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 08:37 pm: Edit

its december soon.. and in 15 days or so,i will receive the dreaded thin envelop from Brown with the lovely rejection letter enclosed in it.. joyous life..

By Help on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 09:00 pm: Edit

AnotherPLME05 can you please email me at sisir@comcast.net. I would like you to please evaluate my statistics.

By damn on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 10:26 am: Edit

fracturedcow, u have a great chance...SAT is really good...verbal somewhat low, but they know that the difference between 650 and 750 is like 4 questions! your ec's are excellent and your other scores are good...you have a chance obviously and i think you'll get it showing dedication by applying ed!

By cow on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 03:23 am: Edit

thank you damn for your optimism, i will keep the board updated *waa hoo two weeks*

By hopeful07 on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 02:12 pm: Edit

this is also a posting for anotherplme05, please email me at istar486@aol.com as I would like to ask you a few questions about the plme program -- both in reference to getting in and about student life -- thanks!

By woo hoo on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 07:08 pm: Edit

LETTER IS COMING SOON AHHHHHHHHH
ill deal though... i have prepared myself for the dreaded rejection letter... hopefully my regular decision schools wont reject me...

By nevergettinin on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 07:11 pm: Edit

:( I'm in the same boat as you bro.

By pro baller on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 07:28 pm: Edit

well, i'll school u all at basketball... haha..

By huh? on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 08:22 pm: Edit

basketball, what's that? Is that where you pass it to each other or try to kick it between those huge yellow posts? doesn't seem like much of a basket to me.

By prashanth gogomasalawala on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 08:49 pm: Edit

Yeah, I got in, so screw all of you.

By cow on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 08:58 pm: Edit

how did you find out already? i thought it was tomorrow?

By U guys are fcking losers on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:18 pm: Edit

IMAGE (Shown Actual Size)

UP YOURS!!!!!!!

By bump on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 01:20 am: Edit

bumpidy bump

By Brownsucksmyballs on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 01:35 pm: Edit

yeah, I got deferred. so brown can suck my balls till the cows come home

By anubee on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 12:53 am: Edit

I am an eighth grader and I recently took my Sat-1 test. I got a score of 1100 which would help me qualify for cty at John hopkin's University. I want to attend the cty program but my parents think I should wait. I want some advice on whether i should enroll in the summer program? Will this look good on my college resume?

By x on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 11:59 pm: Edit

Hey anubee, there's actually some threads on the CTY program, but I'll answer your question anyway.
I got 1120 in 7th grade and went to CTY once. I really enjoyed the experience, but do not go to put it on your college resume. First of all, nothing you do before high school is going to be on your college resume, unless you invented something or wrote some book before then. But you won't be writing stuff like 8th grade honor roll. In fact some schools only consider what you've done since 10th grade.
Please, I know you probably hate hearing this, but you are only in 8th grade, 13 years old? Please don't worry about something that is going to happen in 4 years. Seriously, do what you love to do, dedicate yourself to activities you enjoy, figure out what it is you like and do it. that's about it... good luck. (You probably didn't want to hear that whole spiel, huh?)

By Desi (Desi) on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 10:53 pm: Edit

YES! i got into plme today! yay..anyone have some info on it? i also got into hpme at nothwestern, and i dont know which is better

By Ndhawk (Ndhawk) on Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 11:59 pm: Edit

what are your stats and e/c desi?

By Chalka (Chalka) on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 07:05 pm: Edit

hey, im a current junior considering the plme program. here are my stats:

sat 1: 700 verbal 760 math ( i can bringn them up)
sat 11: taking them soon
6 ap
3-4 ib's (2 year) prol good scores on all
4.0 unweighted gpa..prol top 15 in class hopefully :)

LEADERSHIP: sec (10) vp ( 11) of multicultural club , sec and vp of community indian organization, will soon be opening up an indian dance studio ( if it all works out, kinda under way for the past year)

OTHER CLUBS: student governent, national honor society, spanish club, SADD, co-captain of science olympaid ( 12),

EXTRA: lab assistant for the chem department ( 1 every year) hopefully research not yet decided for the summer with a well known professor(talks under way) , college classes, 200+ hours of various volunteering services including hospitals,

MUSIC: numerous music awards, playing for 8 years

ART: numerous state art awards through scholastic
national silver key winner ( 11)

OTHER AWARDS: won numerous awards at state and regional science olympiad placed top 10 in all years for new york state we were 4th this year, chem olympiad top 8

i would really luv to go to the plme program at brown. please tell me my chances. should i stress the art ( could send a portfolio) even though its a medical program or would it be better to stress the sciences? please help.

By W1628 (W1628) on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 10:57 pm: Edit

BUMP DAT...

By W1628 (W1628) on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 11:00 pm: Edit

mr plme on top. you need to chill out and stop bragging, even if your parents did buy you those positions.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page