How many years of foreign language?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: How many years of foreign language?
By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 12:55 pm: Edit

Hi. RIght now i'm a sophomore and i'm in French 2. I had A's in French 1 and have A's now. I'm gonna take French 3 in junior year. But should i take french4 in senior year?
i don't really want to, and I'm fluent in english, armenian and russian(i lived in armenia for 12 and russian - 2 years). I'm gonna probably apply to UMD, JHU, Cornell and Georgetown. I don't have a lot of EC's though(i'm gonnna up those)

By Mikus (Mikus) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 01:05 pm: Edit

It definitely won't hurt you. Go for it. French 4 will do you a LOT more good than Beginning Basketweaving.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 02:22 pm: Edit

Most schools require 4 years of one foreign language. Although, being fluent in two others might influence that admit requirement.

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 03:21 am: Edit

Take four years. I had an advisor who said his daughter took three and was required to take an additional two years at college. She'd had just enough time to forget (no refresher senior year) part of what she learned and not quite enough time to learn all she needed to know. As a result she tested below the bubble for placement. All foreign languages increase your desirability in a global marketplace or for grad school. Repetez, s'il vous plait, quatre ans!

By Thedad (Thedad) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 11:46 am: Edit

My daughter has done something unusual: 2-3.
Two years of Latin, three of French. She is prepared to take more language in college but wanted a base in both Classic and Modern.

She doubled up and took Latin 2 and French 1 sophomore year.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 03:31 pm: Edit

thanks fo the advice, i guess some extra sleep won't hurt me

By Healthy_Body (Healthy_Body) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 10:21 pm: Edit

most schools only require or advise 2 or 3 years, although you may have to take some foreign language in college if you don't have 4 years.

By Dyip10 (Dyip10) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 09:29 pm: Edit

I'm a freshman rigth now taking Spanish II. I'm wondering if I should just stop at AP Spanish IV, or take AP Spanish V. I had an A in Spanish I, and a high B last semester for Spanish. It's not my strongest subject. Do I really need to take it? I heard Spanish V is all literature. You read and answer questions about stories in Spanish. Doesn't sound tooo pleasant.

By Blushingclover (Blushingclover) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 09:51 pm: Edit

It depends on what your school offers. At my school, there's a spanish class geared specifically towards advanced students (i.e. native speakers) where they read an array of Spanish Literature (AP Spanish Lit.). the other is a continuation of Spanish IV and helps prepare students for the IB test in Spanish.

HTH

By Dyip10 (Dyip10) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 09:56 pm: Edit

My school offers Spanish I to V. They offer IV and V as AP. There isn't a specific class at my school for native speakers. I heard most of the AP Spanish V class is made up of native speakers. I am planning to go to an UC (University of California), so how would this look? What should I do?

By Dyip10 (Dyip10) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 10:49 pm: Edit

bump

By Dyip10 (Dyip10) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 11:42 pm: Edit

One of you guys, has to know something? Well how many years of foreign language did you guys take?

By Mikus (Mikus) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 11:46 pm: Edit

Took 2 in middle school, 4 in secondary school. So 6 years altogether. Pick a language, and stick with it; it's increasingly difficult to compete in a world where being bilingual is more and more standardized. Just my opinion anyways :)

By Dyip10 (Dyip10) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 01:57 am: Edit

Well personally, I can care less about Spanish. I'm already bilingual. I speak Chinese (Cantonese). I'm just wondering how many years I should take and such. By the way, due to the California educational budget cuts. They might even take out some later Spanish classes. That would be very sweet.

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 09:09 pm: Edit

I'm taking spanish IV now. My high school doesnt offer any AP language though so next year I'm going to go to college and take 2 more years. i heard its good to be bilingual when you go out into the workforce, depending on your fields of interest

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 09:58 pm: Edit

i'm like.....trilingual(is that the word?) and i'm 100% fluent in all three (went to school in armenia, russia and now US) so i'm thinking isn't that enough? I don't really enjoy french but being quadrilingual sounds even cooler, so i guess i'll take french 4 in senior year cuz i don't think they'll like me dropping language in junior year.
Thanks for the advice people

By Useatoothbrush (Useatoothbrush) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 10:16 pm: Edit

What about 3 1/2 years of a foreign language? I started French in freshman year (no language offered in middle school), and will finishmy third year this year. The last two semesters aren't sequential, though, and you can take one without the other. If I take only one semester of French (the literature semester which is much more difficult than the cultural semester and is the second semester so it partially builds on skills acquired before) senior year, will this be frowned upon? Doing this allows me to take an honors block of humanities, two AP sciences, and AP modern Euro (which kind of makes up for missing the cultural French semester too), in addition to the retarded career ed graduation requirements. If I took the full year of French, I'd have to forego an AP science of AP Euro to meet grad requirements. I'd also be doing an independent study AP calculus BC class and maybe even AP physics C on my own (I'm taking B right now). Seriously, is getting four years THAT critical? I'd probably continue it in college anyway.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page